Burma News

Subject: Burma News

/* Written  9:39 pm  Jan 30, 1994 by gew400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:hrnet.asia-pac */
/* ---------- "Burma News" ---------- */
## author     : gew400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
## date       : 30.01.94

SEASIA-L (one of HRNet's information providers) readers may
be interested in some recent news from Burma, which does not
seem to have been widely reported. My source is the
Committee for Restoration of Democracy in Burma (Australia)
Inc.

Readers may know that the Karen National Union has followed
the lead of the Kachin Independence Organization and is
engaged in talks with SLORC. It was reported in mid-January
that the KNU had invited Moe Thee Zun, (Chairman of one of
the factions of the All-Burma Students Democratic Front,
which was (is) in alliance with the KNU) and some other
student leaders to Manerplaw for talks. They were then put
in detention.

Latest news is that they were released after 72 hours and
Moe Thee Zun has been heard from, from  Chiangmai. My source
writes 'He did not seem to have lost confidence in the
Alliance but told us that some arms given to them by the KNU
had to be returned to them'.

My correspondent goes on to say, 'Meanwhile, the SLORC are
proceeding with their nefarious schemes and we have heard
more disturbing news regarding Aung San Suu Kyi, who was
believed to have been moved from her University Avenue home
to an unknown location. We are, of course, following up the
matter'.

Gehan Wijeyewardene
Anthropology, Research School of Pacific Studies
The Australian National University