Re: difference between hinaya and m

Subject: Re: difference between hinaya and mahayana

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 16:06 GMT
Subject: Hinayana - Mahayana

>From my experience as a lay practitioner I have been
told that the historical Buddha turned the wheel of the Dharma at
the Deer park at Benares and at the Vulture Peak mountain.

The two paths as I remember are the paths of discipline and the path
of compassion.

The Hinayana teachings or the lesser vehicle was taught at Benares
and the Mahayana path or the greater vehicle was taught at Vulture Peak.

Lesser and greater does not mean that one is either superior or inferior
to the other.These just refer to the different levels of understanding
and is just one of the skilful means by which the Buddha taught
in order that all beings of different receptivity may be free from suffering.

The Hinayana path also refers to the path taken by the arhats who wish to
 be free from the fetters of the samsaric world. In contrast those
who take the Mahayana path vow not to enter nirvana until all beings
are liberated from suffering. ie they will continue to take rebirth
until their task is completed.

This is the main difference. Both paths and those of the Vajrayana
incorporate different techniques and have different cultural
backgrounds. No path is inferior this all depends on one' aspiration.

If one is a poor practioner then whatever path one adopts will be
inferior!

I apologise for being incoherent but I have written this from the
top of my head during work time.

                          Toon

ps could not get message to soc.buma. Please relay. Thanx.