Burmese Govt buy DC-10 (fwd)

/* Written  8:20 pm  Feb 22, 1994 by tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Burmese Govt buy DC-10 (fwd)" ---------- */
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 21:27:08 +0800
Sender: Southeast Asia Discussion List <SEASIA-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
              788-7534" <ISROBERT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: BU: ORBIS

SCMP, Monday 21st Feb.

In a report detailing the progress of ORBIS, the flying eye hospital, and
its recent purchase of a 2nd hand DC-10 to replace its ageing DC-8, it was
reported that the Burmese government had given US $500,000. Oliver Foot,
Project Orbis president, said: "Should we have said no? We are not
political. If we had said no that would have made us political. They're
poor and they gave us half a million. Why don't others do the same?"

Mr Foot is also considering visiting the Sultan of Brunei to ask for cash.