BURMA Peace Prize laureate

/* Written 12:46 am  Mar 14, 1993 by hca@xxxxxxxxxx in igc:ai.letter */
/* ---------- "BURMA Peace Prize laureate" ---------- */

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, is still
kept in house arrest by the military government of Myanmar (Burma),
also known as the State Law and Order Restoration Council, or SLORC.
Copy and send one of our two proposed letters of appeal, or write
one of your own.

PROPOSED APPEAL

General Than Shwe, Chairman
State Law and Order Restoration C.
c/o Ministry of Defence
Signal Pagoda Road, Yangon,
Union of Myanmar (BURMA)

Dear General,
May I draw your attention to the fact that the prolonged house
arrest of Nobel Peace Prize laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has
brought disgrace on the S.L.O.R.C. in front of all the world.

No other single measure could better help to restore your
government's reputation than the immediate and unconditional release
of  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Contempt for internationally agreed norms
of human rights may lead to a temporary controll of the situation,
but the cost is growing with every day.

Yours sincerely,