Bangkok Post: Khun Sa

************************Posted by BurmaNet************************
  "Appropriate Information Technologies--Practical Strategies"

Bangkok Post
March 18, 1994

KHUN SA TURNS WATER INTO POLITICAL WEAPON

by Subin Khuenkaew
Shan State, Burma

Drug warlord Khun Sa says he will allow the proposed Upper Salween
Dam project, which will divert water to Thailand to be implemented
only if the Shan State in northern Burma is granted independence.

"Many big rivers in this area flow into the sea and that's not very
useful.  It would be better if we could make use of these rivers,"
Khun Sa, who is leader of the Muang Tai Army (MTA), said.

But the Upper Salween-Mae Taeng project is, in his opinion, a
matter between the Shan (Tai Yai) and Thai people who are
"brothers".  "It's not difficult for us brothers to reach an
agreement.," he said.

He insisted that it has nothing to do with the Burmese military
junta.

The area designated for hoe dam site is located in the Shan State
opposite Wiang Haeng in Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai.  It is
widely speculated the project is to be financed by a Japanese
investors through Thai businessmen.

It is true the Salween passes many town belonging to Burma, he
said, but the proposed dam site is in the Shan State which he
claims is free from Burmese influence.

"At present, Burma fails to extend its influence over this area.
If the Thai Government gives money to Burma for the dam, it's
definite SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council) will use
the money to purchase more weapons to kill all Tai Yai people, I
don't want that to happen."

Khun Sa spoke to the Bangkok Post at an MTA military parade of
newly-trained soldiers at one of h is camps not far from the
headquarters.  The 4,564 young soldiers, described by the drug
warlord as excellent fighters, will be posted at strategic areas
along the banks of hoe Salween River.

He said some Thai businessmen had visited him to convince him of
the dam project, but to no avail.

"I told them this is a big deal.  The project will take some time
and need many workers.  I am also worried about the impact on
natural resources, like the forest and wildlife."

But Khun Sa said he was ready to talk to the Japanese investors
rather than the brokers.

He said he sympathised with the Thai people affected by drought.

"I wish the Thai people had a chance to use the river too.  But
they should understand that I will never allow the dam to
materialize as long as Burma is involved and gets money to buy
weapons.  I think the Thai people will be sympathetic to us as
well."

Chao Gunched, the president of the Shan State People's
Representatives Assembly, said he also was not opposed to diverting
water from the Salween River to Thailand.

"But the project will be more beneficial if the dam site is shifted
from Sob Pad in the Shan State to Tha Sala which is higher.  It
will make it easier to channel the water to Thailand.  I'm quite
sure the Shan people will not oppose the project should they have
direct contact with us" (the Shan State assembly), he said.

News about the proposed dam was released early this year which
happened to coincide with the mobilisation of over 10,000 Burmese
soldiers into the easter part of the Salween River, confronting the
MTA in the west.

In the north, more than 5,000 Burmese soldiers are heading towards
Muang Ton and Muang Kaen in Shan State which is not very far from
the designated sam site in the Tha Sala.  It is believed the
Burmese army targeted Muang Sanklang because of its strategic
advantages.

Khun Sa said his stronghold had been surrounded by the Burmese army
for about four months.

"The Burmese army reached us and stepped back because they dared
not pull the trigger.  We fired at them four or five times and
claimed no less than 100 lives.

"The Burmese then sent some 200 United Wa State Army fighters to
attack us but they also moved back because we are in a better
position.

"The Burmese soldiers came on Dec. 1 last year had I have kept an
eye on them ever since.  I think they realise that they will be
defeated if fighting breaks out.  They will lose face.  Therefore
they dare not attack us," claimed Khun Sa.

The drug warlord said the MTA would fight to the end.

"I always tell my soldiers that our camps are our lives and we have
nowhere to escape.  If we can keep the bases, we can keep our
lives.  Either the Burmese die or us."

The Tai Yai, the name used for Shan people of Burma, have fought
the Burmese army for 48 years, he said.

"When we had rice and money, the Burmese took them away.  We just
have our lives left and Burma still wants to take us and use as
draught animals to carry military supplies for them.  That's why we
have to fight.  I have never negotiated with the Burmese."

Khun Sa said he was not certain that negotiations would ever be
possible.

"I don't think there will ever be talks.  Maybe they don't know
where I will be seated.  I am a drug warlord and I am entitled to
a higher position," he said with a laugh.

The MTA leader said he disagreed with the plan to invite Burma to
attend the ASEAN meeting in Thailand as a guest country.

"In fact, the association should invite me.  Burma has no
compassion as the SLORC kills its citizens every day.  Even the US
realises this," he said.