ACTION REQUEST: Thu Ya Aung, Burma (r)

/* Written 12:45 pm  Apr  5, 1994 by tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:bitl.seasia */
/* ---------- "ACTION REQUEST: Thu Ya Aung, Burma" ---------- */
Background: This month, Group 19 is assisting other AI groups in the US who
have taken up the case to investigate whether Thu Ya Aung is a prisoner of
conscience in Burma.
     Thu Ya Aung was a student in his first year at a Technical High School
at the time of his arrest on 26 November 1989. He was arrested by a group of
people whom Amnesty International suspects were security personnel affiliated
with the military regime in Burma. Thu Ya Aung was a member of the All Burma
Federation of Student Unions and was very active during student demonstrations
in 1988 which called for democracy and an end to one-party military rule in
Burma. We do not know whether Thu Ya Aung has been charged with any offence
and tried, nor where his current place of detention might be.
     As a courtesy, when writing to officials of that country, activists on
behalf of AIs Burma campaign refer to the Union of Myanmar (instead of Burma).
If you receive any response from the Ambassador, please forward the response
to Michael Gold of AI Group 19.

Action Request: Please send a  letter to  U Thaung, Ambassador, Embassy of
Myanmar, 2300 S Street NW, Washington DC 20008.

Dear Ambassador:

As a representative of Amnesty International, I am concerned that Thu Ya Aung
may be a prisoner of conscience detained solely for the non-violent expression
of his political beliefs. Thu Ya Aung was a first-year high school student
when he was arrested on 26 November 1989. I respectfully urge you to
investigate whether he has been charged with any crime, and whether he has
been tried in accordance with international fair trial standards.
     In particular, Article 9.3 of the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights mandates that "Anyone arrested or detained on a criminal
charge shall be brought promptly before a judge or other officer authorized by
law to exercise judicial power and shall be entitled to trial within a
reasonable time or to release." Please do all within your power to see that
Thu Ya Aung enjoys his rights in accordance with internationally ratified
human rights standards. I will be happy to supply you with additional
information at your request.
Yours truly,etc.

cc:  President Bill Clinton, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue,Washington, DC 20500

cc:  Winston Lord, Assistant Secretary of State, Department of State,