Strider-Mea Culpa

**************************** BurmaNet ****************************
  "Appropriate Information Technologies--Practical Strategies"

MEA CULPA

In article "If You Can't Say Something Nice: Burmese magazine
insults Thai Crown Princess," there is a mistranslation of the
English name of Myatkhin'thit magazine.  In the translation from
Burmese that I have, Myatkhin'thit is rendered as "The New Sward."
In writing the article, I took sward to be a misspelling of sword
and wrongly changed it.  For the record, according to the American
Heritage dictionary, a sward is:

  n. Land covered with grassy turf (from the Old English sweard,
     skin).

The correct translation of the magazine should have been either
"The New Sward" or "The New Grasslands."

Leave it to a Burmese to know English better than a native-speaker.
As penance, I'll count to 100,000 in multiples of 45 and 90.

Oh well, back to work.

   Strider