Karen Info

/* Written 11:06 pm  May  5, 1994 by johpa@xxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Karen Info" ---------- */
A brief response to Barry, (Message-ID: <CovpIv.2x5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
regarding the Karen.

  I saw your post regarding the Karen in SCBurma.  I haven't been in a
university's library for over five years so I don't know if there is much more
literature on the Karen as there was then, which was pretty damn meager.  Most
of the materials would be found in an anthropological data base.  I do have a
fading copy of one article on Karen opium usage: Opium and the Karen: A Study
of Indebtedness in Nortern Thailand by a Paul Cohen, but I don't have the name
of the journal.  Judging by the references, this article was written around
1978-79.

Being one of the few farangs married to a Thai Karen, I figure my observations
have some merit.  Opium usage is not native to Karen culture: the Karen do not
traditionally live or cultivate in the higher elevations where opium is
planted.  The introduction of opium harvesting is a more recent phenomena
appearing with the more recent migrations of the Mong and other highland groups
into traditional Karen areas.

Many Karen have been Christian for many generations now so there is not much
religious tradition there involving opium.  My father-in-law is one of the last
holdouts against Christianity or Buddhism.  But, to the best of my knowledge,
there is no shamanistic aspect to his animistic beliefs that incorporate opium
usage.  I do notice a lot of drinking during and after his animist rites, but
no true mind altering drugs.  It is funny that the neighboring Christian Karen
often sneek up to his house for some more traditional psychic relief when their
prayers to Jesus go unanswered.

I am curious in your observation of "seeing Karen men in Thailand using opium
regularly".  There are indeed  Karens addicted to opium in some of the
villages.  But it is generally frowned upon and thus it is usually done in
private.  It is rare for a trekking guide in Thailand, many of whom are Karen,
to take people into the huts of Karen addicts since Karen rarely are in a
position to sell opium to trekkers. That evening of the trek is usually
reserved for the night at the Lahu or Lisu villages.  Karen men are often a bit
idle and are prone to drinking so you may have simply noticed alot of  guys
with a bit too much homebrew under the belt.  By the way, the Burmese delta
Karens, those who admire and follow Pa Bo Mya, are dead set against all kinds
of stimulants.  Boy, those Baptist missionaries did a job on them!

The basic relationship one can note is that where there are Mong or other opium
growing groups located in villages above the Karen villages, you will find
opium usage in those Karen villages.  Where there is no opium grown, such as in
the Karen areas of Burma. one sees very little if any opium problems.  But be
careful when someone in a Karen village invites you to " 'O Sii", to sit for a
drink in Thailand, best to leave your keys to the car with someone else.

Happy Trails            Johpa