Karen and Khun Sa

/* Written 10:59 pm  Jun  8, 1994 by johpa@xxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Karen and Khun Sa" ---------- */

pl,Message-ID: <bekerCr119u.94w@xxxxxxxxxx>) and Strider regarding
cooperation between the Karen and Khun Sa.

My information, from the Thai Karen community, is that there have
indeed been the occassional transshipments of #4 south through Karen
controlled territory.   The fact that the Burmese Delta Karen, being
good Baptists, don't drink much is irrelevant, but it does make me
prefer the company of the Thai Karen for socializing.  With the
profits involved, I doubt the difficulty of the terrain is a major
factor, especially when employing hill Karen or perhaps some of the
scum western mercenaries that Bo Mya likes to have around.

As far as Mr. Beker becoming a fan of Khun Sa, well I think that is
going a bit too far.  Yes, he is in opposition to SLORC which in a
backhanded way is not bad.  But Khun Sa is also responsible for
generating a lot of misery.  Most of the Akha villages in the area
north and south of Mae Salong are refugee villages from the times up
to the dog and pony shows of Hin Taek and later of Doi Lang.  These
people fled forced labor and ridiculous taxation from Khun Sa imposed
because of their minority status, not that much different from how
SLORC treats minorities.

I think that the major test of Khun Sa's sincerity would be for the
US to take him up on his occasional offers to sell the crop under his
control and see if he actaully follows through.  Interesting that in
the hill villages near Amphoe Chiang Mai, the transition from opium
to other cash crops has brought a higher standard of living to the
villagers.  Compare Hmong villages such as Mae Sa Mai or Nong Hoi now
with some ten years ago and you will see a definite improvement in
livng standards for many.  Unfortunately, substituting cabbage for
poppies has had some serious negative ecological impacts.  Another
downside to such a deal would be the need for the US to evacuate its
dependents from most of Thailand, not just Chiang Mai as in the past,
without the benefit of being able to blame Khun Sa for the threats.
Oh well, another smoke screen can always be found.

It is also important to remember that Khun Sa may be a Drug Warlord
in the Shan hills, but that doesn't put him at the same level as an
Escobar or whoever it is who now heads the South American drug
cartels.  Those counterparts are all living the good life in Bangkok
and elsewhere, not impressing peasants and journalists in a dusty
hill town.

But again, since the Wa are working with SLORC to profit form the
drug business this all may be moot.  I am still mad at the Wa for
killing the local ice cream man at Baan Linchee along the Thai-Burma
border some 10 years ago.

Happy Trails   Johpa