Karen Ceasefire 4.94 (2nd Attempt!)

/* Written  5:43 pm  Jun  9, 1994 by atiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "Karen Ceasefire 4.94 (2nd Attempt!)" ---------- */
I have not heard any thing of the Karen ceasefire talks with SLORC on the
net.

I did get this letter from a Karen friend who lives near Mai Sot on the
Thai side of the boarder (mostly).

He writes, "On April 12th 1994, SLORC had called for ceasefire meeting at Hpa
An City (Capital of the Karen State). In this convetionat assembly they
invited all of the Karen people from the Hpa An city, district."

"In this meeting, according to one of chief there - They claimed that
only the SLORC troops trying to make Burma look good and progressing, for
rebellion group like KNU (Karen National Union) they didn't do anything
to improve Burma, instead they try to destroy all the things what SLORC have
developed."

"In this assembly they didn't allow Karen leader to say any thing about
political (situation), they allow Karen to say only what they want them
to say. This means no freedom of speech and expression."

"The other things was that SLORC leader who is going to talk or give any
announcement they dare not to openly ???med (sorry can't read this word)
out their names to the congregation. The SLORC leader that going to speak
tells his or her name to every tribe in every assembly except the Karen
tribe."

Hope someone finds this of interest. I would be keen to find out more if
anyone has heard any more recent updates.

atiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx