Aung San Suu Kyi's 5 year imprisonm

Subject: Aung San Suu Kyi's 5 year imprisonment demonstration

>From jjerome@xxxxxxxxxxx Thu Jul 14 00:12:54 1994
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 00:11:34 -0700
To: tun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  July 19th and 20th demonstration -

By now you know that the SF people concerned with Burma will be putting
on two events next week to mark the 5th anniversary of Aung San Suu Kyi's
imprisonment.  Groups from some 20 cities in North America will also be doing
actions as well, so this is truly nationwide.

We will

1) on Tuesday, July 19 hold a candlelight vigil in Berkeley (8:30) and then
   go to City Hall. Hopefully the City Council will adopt a resolution
   making July 20 "Aung San Suu Kyi Day".  [This would be a great way to
   get our issue talked about prior to pursuing selective purchasing legis-
   lation.]

   We will meet at 8:30 at the Berkeley BART station, Shattuck & Center.
   We march at 8:45 to City Hall.  I don't know how long it will run.

2)  At noon, on Wednesday July 20, a protest against Unocal's investment
   in the natural gas pipeline under construction will be held at the
   Unocal clock tower, First & Harrison, SF.  Mostly pickets and leaflets.

Atossa Soltani at Rainforest Action Network is taking the lead in organizing
this event.  She can be reached at 415/398-4404.

I hope to see you and the general public there -- please repost this to
whomever you see fit.

[Note:  Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace Laureate, was placed under house
arrest in Burma (now called Myanmar) on July 20, 1989 by the illegitimate
military regime, the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) for
her peaceful leadership of the National League for Democracy, which won
over 80% of the May 1990 elections and to which power has not been ceded
by the regime.  SLORC has engaged in massive human rights violations and
widespread environmental destruction and exploitation.]

Ciao