Visit Burma (r)

/* Written  2:45 PM  Aug  5, 1994 by wu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:soc.cult.burma */

>Yes - it is pretty sad that Burmese go back to flaunt their hard-earned
>US dollars by exchanging them at 125 kyats to a $1.00 while impressing
>their poor relatives.
This is true to some degree for some people.

>That is one of major reason most Burmese,
>Burmese/Chinese and other Burmese don't get involve with the Burma's
>democratic movement overseas -  They all want to go back and visit.
I think Chinese are the scapegoats in the fight among Burmese.
Now they are being blamed for not participating in the struggle for democracy.
In other times, they were blamed for doing that or not doing this. No
matter what they do, there are always Burmese ready to blame them.
I don't think you should lump the whole race and label them. I think
they are just trying to live their lives.

>The ties are very stong to the homeland. I've meet a few Burmese has
>a audacity to say things are getting better in Burma. Of course, they
>are the one have the connection with the military.
It depends on how you look at the current situation in Burma.
According to what I heard the general public is gradually
accepting the reality of having to deal with SLORC.

>There was a very criticle article written titled "K-Mart Tycoon"
>by a Burmese person who soley address that very question. It talked about
>new arrived Burmese working 2 jobs, and then going back to show-off
>how well they are doing here in the States. Then - married to a woman
>whom he hardly knew.
This is true to almost all newly arrived immigrants from all over the world
for a long time. The first generation Chinese from China did the same in the
19th century. Newly arrived Chinese are doing the same right now. I saw a
documentary talking about Arabs from the Middle East are doing the same.
Indian,Pakistani, you name it. The K-mark tycoon phenomenon, whatever
you want to call it, is not new.
If you look around, you'll be amazed by the universality about this
phenomenon in many countries. The reason is quite obvious.
If they have to wait till they become real tycoons to show off, most of
them will die first before they become one.

--
Gene Wu
Electrical and Computer Engineering