8-8-94 in DC

35 people demonstrated at the Burmese Embassy in Washington DC on 8-8-1994
from 1500-1600 hours.  Led by students, NCGUB and CRDB, the demonstration
had speakers from the International Republican Institute, and the Burma
Relief Committee (Japan).

>From 1700-1900, a cultural show was presented at House of Representatives
with guest speakers, Congresspersons Abercrombie and Lantos giving strong
speeches that said no amount of window dressing would deter Congress from
pushing for an end to the SLORC regime.  Yuzana Khin gave a one womyn show
about Burma, and photographs and paintings from a variety of Burmese
students were on display. 80 people attended (about %50 ethnic burmese).

It is my sense after heavy involvement in the pro-democracy grassroots
movement in support of the burmese people, that we are seeing a growing
awareness among the US citizenry about SLORC.  WE are seeing more
demonstrations, with more people.  The networks of organizations has
increased substantially over the years. (See Free Suu, Free Burma's
listings of hundreds of groups around the world).  More people I meet have
an idea of what is going on.  In DC, we will begin a daily vigil in front
of the embassy from 1200-1300 hours...and we have the people power to do it.
Momentum is gathering.

Michael Beer
mbeer@xxxxxxxxxxx