HURD RECOGNISES ROLE FOR BURMA TRAD

Subject: HURD RECOGNISES ROLE FOR BURMA TRADE TIES

BRITISH Foreign Secretary Douglas Hurd said trade with Burma
might have the useful effect of opening up the military dominated
country to the outside world and bringing about positive domestic
changes. Asked about VBritain's position on Burma whether trade
should be encourage while condemning other aspects of its
government known as the Slorc, Mr Hurd said earlier in the day
he welcomed a decision by British businessmen to send a trade
mission to Burma. "We follow the European Union line on Burma;
we're strongly critical of the abuse of human rights by the Slorc
and in particular, of the election results and the treatment of
the leaders of the winning party," he said. "But that shouls not
impede or prevent trade, and indeed, in certain circumstances,
trade  can actually have a useful effect in opening up the
country and showing the need for change inside the country, so
there's never been a trade boycott, though there is a European
guideline political contact.""I told the foreign Minster we would
be interested in taking part in ARF Asean Regional Fourm in our
right," he said, adding it had not yet been formally considered
by his government. On Britain's interest in formally joining the
newlyformed Asean Regional Forum Mr Hurd said he raised Britain's
interest in joining the post-Cold War loose consultative body on
security issues in the
asean and Pacific region during talks with his counterpart
Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri.(BP)