BurmaNet News: October 22, 1994

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
BurmaNet News: Saturday, October 22, 1994
Issue #39

QUOTES OF THE DAY:

          "The Myanmar Government does not condone human rights abuses. In
          fact, it is totally against human rights abuses."

                    U Ohn Gyaw speaking for the SLORC at the UN

          "Major Nyunt Tin and his military column No. 2 showed up in the
          village and beat up the villagers and ordered them at gun point
          to dismantle their houses in two hours, saying also that they
          would burn down the houses of those who failed to finish in
          time."

                    A Karen reporter describing the actions of SLORC troops
                    collecting slave labourers for the construction of the
                    Ye-Tavoy railway line.

Contents:

BURMANET: THAI NSC CHIEF MAY BE ON HIS WAY OUT OVER CAMBODIA COUP ATTEMPT
TIME OUT: JUNGLE JOHN [BEYOND RANGOON]
SLORC: OHN GYAW SPEAKS TO THE U.N.
KYONB: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS BY THE SLORC

BURMANET: THAI NSC CHIEF MAY BE ON HIS WAY OUT OVER CAMBODIA COUP ATTEMPT

According to a well-informed source, the dismissal of Thai NSC chief Gen
Choroen Kullawaniya is only a matter of time.  Gen Charoen's NSC has been
responsible for implementing much of Thailand's Burma policy, at least
until recent weeks.  Under the policy of "Constructive Engagement,"
Thailand has been cooperating closely with Burma's ruling State Law and
Order Restoration Council (SLORC).  One recent instance of cooperation was
the forced expulsion of 6,000 Mon-Burmese refugees from the camp at New
Halockhanie.  The expulsion was carried out by the 9th Division of the Thai
Army acting under orders of the National Security Council. Despite
condemnation from Amnesty International, the Thailand representative of the
UN High Commissioner for Refugees and foreign governments, the refugees
were `starved back' across the border when Thai troops seized their food
stocks.

BurmaNet initially picked up reports in late August that the Thai Prime
Minister's office had "restricted [Charoen's] freedom of action" concerning
neighboring countries in response to reports of Charoen's involvement in
the Cambodia coup.  In early October, the Bangkok newspapers began
reporting on Gen Charoen's alleged involvement and have carried his
repeated denials.

According to BurmaNet's sources however, Gen Charoen had at the very least,
advance knowledge of the coup.  One Cambodia-watcher scoffed at Gen
Charoen's protestations of innocence: "Since when do you know about a coup
in advance unless you're somehow part of it?"

Still, it is still unclear what, if any role Charoen may have played.  NSC
personnel are being disciplined by the Thai Army commander for being in
Cambodia just prior to the coup attempt and the Cambodian government is
demanding to interview two of Gen Charoen's subordinates.  Charoen is also
believed to be close to Prince Chakrapong, who has been accused by the
Cambodian government of masterminding the coup attempt.

Reports of involvement in the coup could scarcely come at a worse time for
the Thai government.  In September, President Bill Clinton signed into law
a Foreign Assistance appropriation bill which puts new conditions on
military aid to Thailand.  In February 1995, the State Department will have
to certify that the Thai Army has ceased helping the Khmer Rouge and are no
longer mistreating Burmese refugees and pro-democracy exiles.

Former US Ambassador to Phnom Penh Morton Abromawitz recently charged Thai
Army officers with continuing to support the Khmer Rouge.  The former
Australian ambassador to Cambodia made similar charges this month.

Thai support for a coup in Cambodia would not strictly speaking, be aiding
the Khmer Rouge.  However, given that the US put up the lion's share of the
$3 billion which the United Nations spent on restoring democratic
government in Cambodia, the Americans are not likely to be amused by
credible evidence of Thai involvement in an attempt to overthrow that
government.

The sums directly involved in a cut-off of American military aid to
Thailand are small change.  The US provides less than US$1 million under a
military education and training program called IMET.  IMET brings fewer
than 100, mostly field grade officers (Colonels and Lieutenant Colonels)
for training at American military schools.  In addition to the direct costs
however, there are substantial hidden costs to the Thais.

First, attendance at American military schools is prized by Thai officers
and the most senior ranks in the Army are usually filled with soldiers who
have attended American schools.  An example of its perceived importance
came after the Feb. 21, 1991 coup by Thai Army and Air Force officers.  The
officers formed a National Peace Keeping Committee (NPKC) and brushed off
international condemnation for overthrowing an elected government.
However, several coup leaders who had attended the American Command and
General Staff College (CGSC) were deeply offended and hurt when their names
were removed from the CGSC's honor role.  The CGSC maintains an honor roll
of attendees who go on to become the top ranking officers in their branch,
but staging a coup against an elected government is grounds for automatic
removal from the roll.  Rejection by their alma mater turned out to be the
least of the generals' problems when hundreds of thousands of pro-democracy
demonstrators brought down the military regime after a bloody confrontation
in May, 1992.

On a more practical level, Thailand stands to indirectly loose a great deal
of money if IMET aid is cut off.  According to a western diplomat, any
country which receives IMET aid, regardless of the amount, is automatically
eligible to purchase American weapons at a reduced price which is reserved
for third-world countries.  Thailand purchases most of its major weapons
systems from the United States and the discount that IMET entitles them to
amounts to "real money," according to the diplomat.

TIME OUT: JUNGLE JOHN [BEYOND RANGOON]
[Time Out is a magazine published in California]

August 10-17, 1994

"After `Deliverance' and `The Emerald Forest,' you'd think John Boorman
would be fed up with the great outdoors.  Apparently not.  In Malaysia for
Boorman's `Beyond Rangoon,' Alex Mcgregor finds out how the director avoids
the Hollywood jungle by filming in a real one."

`Two with Malaria,' he shouts.  `And two amputees."  Even when you know
this is just a scene from a film being prepared there is something shocking
about hearing an assistant directory calling up more patients to the
hospital set.

Almost immediately four slightly built extras with the appropriate
infirmities appear and are ushered into the make-shift hospital that has
been built on a dirt clearing in the Malaysian jungle.

Sitting dutifully, patiently in the dirt outside the hospital tent is a
small army of extras disguised as refugees.  Their appearance is so
authentic that without peering too closely, it is difficult to separate
those who are really missing limbs from those who are just dressed that
way.  Given that the temperature is hovering around 105 fahrenheit in the
shade, their lack of movement is no surprise.  The only activity comes from
the make-up ladies wending their way through cluttered ranks applying blood
and generally freshening up the wounds.

Before filming begins, the extras are doused with water to make them look
as if they have just crossed the river.  The soaking proves only a short
relief from the unrelenting heat.  Just before the shout of `Action~', the
assistant director calls for `dust' and clouds of dust envelop the muddy,
bloody actors, they move slowly towards the hospital tent.  The normally
voluptuous Patricia Arquette, now unrecognizable in her sodden, dirty and
dishevelled rags, emerges from the pack and ghost-like, slips into the tent
to meet her destiny.

After `Deliverance' and `The Emerald Forest', director John Boorman should
have had enough of shooting films in and around jungles and rivers.  yet
here he is again, testing himself and his troops on the banks of a wide
muddy river surrounded by rainforest as thick as any jungle.

`I find the power of the rainforest and these enormous rivers is a
marvelous metaphor for the force of nature in man,' says Boorman, `and of
course, outside of him.  It is beautiful and benign, and also dangerous and
frightening.'

All these natural metaphors are grist for `Beyond Rangoon', Boorman's new
epic.  The story is set in Burma and stars Patricia Arquette as Laura, an
American who becomes entangled in the 1988 pro-democracy demonstrations
which led to the implementation of martial law in that country and the
imprisonment of 49 year old Aung San Suu Kyi.

Despite her incarceration (now entering its sixth year) Suu Kyi's party,
the National League for Democracy, still won a landslide victory in the
1990 elections.  The military greeted the victory with another violent
crackdown and Suu Kyi's continuing defiance of the junta eared her the 1991
Nobel Peace Prize.  Afterwards one of the generals rationalized that `the
will of the majority isn't always correct'.  At the time, any feared that
the `land of 10,000 pagodas' would become another `killing fields.'

There is no pretence from anybody working on `Beyond Rangoon' that it might
be another `Killing Fields'.  But for the Burmese who have been employed by
the production as actors and advisors, many of them political refugees
themselves, the recent history of Burma casts a long shadow over the film.

`For us in the Burmese community, "Beyond Rangoon" is to let other people
know what happened in Burma is very special' says the quietly spoken Aung
Ko in broken English.  A translator living in exile in Paris, the fifty-
something Aung Ko had never acted before he was offered the role of the
Buddhist seer who helps and is in turn helped by Arquette's character,
Laura.

Boorman himself prefers to talk more generally about the connections
between Burma and `Beyond Rangoon'.  `Laura is a doctor who can no longer
function and during the course of her experiences, particularly with Aung
Ko, she discovers how to become a healer again, and that is what the story
is.  He has been a victim of random violence and so here she sees a nature
being brutalised and so in a sense it is an externalisation of her inner
complex.'

Despite the overbearing heat, the setting is idyllic.  Just below Boorman
the river swims by against a backdrop of green jungle and limestone
mountains.  Occasionally his answers are drowned out by outboard motors:
the special effects team are mining the water with explosives for the
coming week's action scenes.  Jungles and rivers are key metaphors of
Boorman's mythical quests for meaning in life and film, but they can make
location shoots hell.  That, it seems, is part of the attraction.

`You can take a film crew on a tough location like this and some people
fall apart and other people you think are a little weak and uncertain come
through.  I like that, I like to see people pushed to their limits and how
they respond   It interests me a lot.  That's true of actors.  When
Patricia says that she is tired, it always interests me right away.  I
always think "Let's go and work some more."

There is a grimace that could almost pass for a smile on Boorman's lips as
he says this, Boorman is tough on his cast and crew, but does not shirk the
physical hurdles and hardships himself.  `There is something in my
personality that is lightly puritanical--I feel I'm not doing my job unless
I am suffering,' he admits.  `I feel slightly guilty about enjoying film-
making unless I'm really sweating or up to my chin in water, fighting
mosquitoes and leeches.'

And it is perhaps preferable to the Hollywood jungle.  More than any
English director, John Boorman has experienced the vagaries and demands of
making both big and small budget films.  This is the man who turned down
`Rocky' as well as `Dirty Harry', `Aliens', and `The Exorcist', although he
did do the sequel `The Heretic' only to have it booed off the screen by
audiences.  Many of his pet projects have fallen by the wayside, wasting
whole years in the frustrating search for funding.

Nobody thought `Beyond Rangoon' would be made, according to Bill Rubenstein
who wrote the first draft of the script in 1986 and has been riding the
project through a variety of rejections ever since.  `Back in 1986,' he
remembers, `I met with an agent who told me that I had it all wrong, that I
should make the woman a victim and get a Michael Douglas character a la
"Romancing the Stone" to come in and rescue her.  Cal it Rangoon Run."

Since 1986, changes have been made, but the biggest ones are the result of
real-life events, in particular the brutal repression of the pro-democracy
movement by the military junta in 1988, which have overtaken Rubenstein's
original fiction.  Under Boorman's stewardship, the film has come to
incorporate more of those elements.  Whether that makes the film more
commercial is not something Boorman questions.

`That is not a question for me, it is not my money.  That is a decision of
the people who put the money into this picture.  Whey they decide to make
it, I make it as well as I can.'

Yet he is not blind to the pressures of profit.  Back in 1991 he wrote in
the film journal "Projections", which he co-edits: `They [the Hollywood
studios] don't want my bag of tricks.  I feel like Merlin, an old wizard
who finds himself living in a materialistic world where there is no place
for magic.'

Perhaps `Beyond Rangoon' will prove him wrong.

`Beyond Rangoon' is scheduled to open in 1995.

SLORC: OHN GYAW SPEAKS

[In the spirit of Halloween:]

             .... NO! ...                  ... MNO! ...
           ..... MNO!! ...................... MNNOO! ...
         ..... MMNO! ......................... MNNOO!! .
        .... MNOONNOO!   MMMMMMMMMMPPPOII!   MNNO!!!! .
         ... !O! NNO! MMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPOOOII!! NO! ....
            ...... ! MMMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPOOOOIII! ! ...
           ........ MMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPOOOOOOII!! .....
           ........ MMMMMOOOOOOPPPPPPPPOOOOMII! ...
            ....... MMMMM..    OPPMMP    .,OMI! ....
             ...... MMMM::   o.,OPMP,.o   ::I!! ...
                 .... NNM:::.,,OOPM!P,.::::!! ....
                  .. MMNNNNNOOOOPMO!!IIPPO!!O! .....
                 ... MMMMMNNNNOO:!!:!!IPPPPOO! ....
                   .. MMMMMNNOOMMNNIIIPPPOO!! ......
                  ...... MMMONNMMNNNIIIOO!..........
               ....... MN MOMMMNNNIIIIIO! OO ..........
            ......... MNO! IiiiiiiiiiiiI OOOO ...........
          ...... NNN.MNO! . O!!!!!!!!!O . OONO NO! ........
           .... MNNNNNO! ...OOOOOOOOOOO .  MMNNON!........
           ...... MNNNNO! .. PPPPPPPPP .. MMNON!........
              ...... OO! ................. ON! .......

STATEMENT BY HIS EXCELLENCY U OHN GYAW, MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS
AND CHAIRMAN OF THE DELEGATION OF THE UNION OF MYANMAR
IN THE GENERAL DEBATE AT THE FORTY-NINTH SESSION OF THE
UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY

NEW YORK, 11 OCTOBER 1994

Permanent Mission of the Union of Myanmar to the U.N. - 10 E.
77th  Street, New York, N.Y. 10021 - Tel. (212) 535-1310

[Due to a fax error, the beginning third of the first page is missing.]

OHN GYAW:
 ....parliament has given birth to a united, democratic and non-racial
South  Africa. A nation that has so courageously overcome such
adversity and  overwhelming pressure deserves our support and
acclaim as it faces its  future with optimism.

        I am pleased to see the delegation of South Africa
rejoining us in  this august Assembly. Its presence in these
chambers also reflects the  momentous changes taking place in the
world today. The concerted effort  to abolish 'apartheid' in
South Africa has finally been realized. We  welcome our brothers
from South Africa and wish them every success in  rebuilding
their nation and look forward to working closely with the
Government and people of South Africa.

Mr. President,

        It bears reiterating here the importance of adherence to
the five  principles of peaceful co-existence which form the
basic tenets of  Myanmar's foreign policy. Myanmar, together with
the People's Republic  of China and India, enunciated the five
principles of peaceful co-existence  nearly five decades ago.
These time-tested principles have crystallized as  the
universally-accepted legal norms in inter-state relations. In
strict  observance of these principles, Myanmar has never allowed
and will never  allow its territory to be used as a Springboard
for action or threat against  another state. By the same token,
Myanmar expects that other nations will  likewise abide by these
principles in their conduct of policy towards  Myanmar.

        At this time of dramatic and profound changes, the United
Nations represents the best hope for mankind in the maintenance
of  international peace and security, and in the promotion of
international co- operation in other areas of human endeavour.
Whatever character and  shape the emerging new international
order may eventually assume, we  have no doubt that the United
Nations will constitute a vital element in the  new international
order and will continue to play an increasingly important  role
in international relations. As we approach the Fiftieth
Anniversary of  the United Nations, it is the appropriate time
for dedicate ourselves to the  purposes and principles of the
United Nations Charter and to redouble our  efforts to further
strengthen the role of the world organization. In order to  mark
this auspicious Anniversary in a fitting manner, we have formed a
high-level National Committee in my country to carry out
necessary  preparatory work and to coordinate commemorative
activities at the  national level.

Mr. President,

        Myanmar firmly believes that the United Nations plays a
pivotal  role in promoting international cooperation for
development and for the  maintenance of peace and security. There
is a close link between peace  and development. It is therefore
the view of my delegation that the  Agenda for Peace and the
Agenda for Development must go hand in  hand. Now that the Cold
War is over and the avenues for peace and  development are more
pronounced, we would like to call upon the  international
community to create a favourable environment that ensures
sustainable development. My delegation shares the view that the
search  for security and peace in the world at present lies in
development, not in  armaments. For most people throughout the
world and particularly in  developing countries, the feeling of
insecurity arises more from anxieties  about daily subsistence
than from the dread of a cataclysmic global  conflict.
Underdevelopment brings about poverty, hunger, malnutrition,
environmental degradation, etc., collectively leading to civil
strife, ethnic  conflicts and eventually, collapse of peace and
security. These problems  may be confined within national borders
in some instances. However,  some will definitely have
international and even global ramifications and  consequences.

Mr. President,

        Both the Agenda for Peace and the Agenda for Development
are  top priority tasks before the United Nations; and they
deserve to be given  equal attention and equal allocation of
resources. Just as the United  Nations peace-keeping missions are
stretched out across the globe, so  also are its agencies for
development and humanitarian affairs fanned out  even wider.
Myanmar shares the view that economic and social  developments
are prerequisites for lasting peace and security. We would
therefore like to see a strengthening of the Economic and Social
Council in  tandem with the call for a restructuring or the
Security Council to respond  adequately to the new challenges of
international peace and security that  have emerged in the wake
of the cold war. The United Nations, with the  purposes of
maintaining international peace and security and of  promoting
development and of safeguarding human rights, was born fifty
years ago against a political setting which was different from
today. Now  that the cold war is over end the international
community is free from  superpower rivalry, which had very much
crippled the United Nations in  the past, the Organization should
be restructured to meet the needs and  challenges of the present
world.

        Peace-keeping operations is an area in which the United
Nations  is being called upon to take on more and more
responsibilities. These  operations constitute an important
instrument of the world organization in  the prevention and
containment of conflicts and in keeping peace where it  is most
needed. Peace-keeping operations have a mixed record of
successes and some set-backs. Experience and lessons from the
past  operations should be carefully reviewed and re-evaluated
with a view to  ensuring more effective and proper conduct of
these operations. It is  imperative that the United Nations
peace-keeping operations be carried  out only with the consent
and willing cooperation of the parties  concerned and that all
aspects of these operations strictly conform to the  principles
and purposes of the United Nations Charter. There is also a  need
for rationalization, streamlining and making these operations
more  cost-effective.

Mr. President,

        In the field of disarmament, we are encouraged by the
positive  developments of last year. Intensive negotiations are
now underway in  the Geneva-based Conference on Disarmament to
achieve a Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT). The steadily
increasing  trust and confidence between nuclear-weapon States
and non-nuclear- weapon States has provided a window of
opportunity for the international  community to come to grips
with preventing vertical and horizontal  proliferation of nuclear
weapons. This opportunity should be seized by  bringing the
negotiation on CTBT to a successful conclusion in the most
expeditious way. The United States has announced its decision to
extend  the moratorium for one year until 1 September l995. We
believe that such  moratorium observed also by other
nuclear-weapon States would create  conditions conducive to the
ongoing process of CTBT negotiations.

Mr. President,

        The Review and Extension Conference of the Treaty on the
Non- Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) is less than a year
away from  now. We are of the view that substantive progress in
crucial areas,  namely, CTBT, negative security assurances for
non-nuclear weapon  states and a ban on production of nuclear
fissile material in all its aspects  will contribute to a
successful outcome of the Conference. A careful  stock-taking of
the progress in these crucial areas should be made before  taking
a decision at the Conference on the further extension of the
Treaty.  Myanmar looks forward to working and cooperating with
other  delegations for the successful outcome of the 1995 NPT
Review and  Extension Conference.

        While I am on the subject of the NPT, may I take this
opportunity  to inform the Assembly that , as a state party to
the NPT the Myanmar  Government has decided to sign the
safeguards agreement and protocol  with the IAEA. The signing of
the safeguards agreement and protocol will  take place in the
near future.

        Myanmar is also actively taking part in the preparatory
process  for the implementation of the Chemical Weapons
Convention (CWC) since  she became an original signatory to the
Convention. Like other signatories  to the CWC, ratification
process is currently being undertaken in  Myanmar.

        The Signing on 4 May 1994 of the agreement to implement
the  Israel-Palestine Declaration of Principles marks an
important milestone  toward a lasting peace in the Middle East.
The recent approval by the  Israeli Cabinet to transfer civilian
powers to the Palestinians -- in culture,  youth and sports,
international cooperation, education, health, social  welfare,
tourism and finance are also positive steps that would further
pave the way for self-rule by the Palestinians on the Gaza strip
and  Jericho. We congratulate the parties concerned for their
rare courage and  mutual accommodation. We are also heartened to
note that both Israel and  Jordan are implementing the agreed
Washington Declaration signed  between both parties in July. It
is hoped that these initiatives, both within  the context of
bilateral and multilateral negotiations, will facilitate and
brighten the chances of a lasting peace in the Middle East.
Mr. President,

        After years of recession and stagnation, the world
economy has  resumed a modest growth. However, this recovery
remains fragile and  uneven and it is in the interest of both the
developing and developed  countries to strive for accelerated
growth and sustainable development.  While a number of developing
countries have acted as the main engine of  world economic
growth, most of them are beset with a deteriorating  economic and
social situation. Developed countries are also facing slow
growth and high unemployment. In this era of growing
globalization and  interdependence, concerted efforts by the
world community are urgently  needed to resolve the acute
economic and social problems.

        We welcome the Secretary-General's Report entitled "An
Agenda  for Development" for being most timely and appropriate.
The report has  highlighted economic growth as a crucial
dimension of development and  has singled out a supportive and a
favourable international economic  environment for sustained
growth. We fully share the view that the  advancement of
developing countries is hindered by such obstacles as  external
debt problems, declining external resource flows, sharply
deteriorating terms of trade and mounting barriers to market
access. We  hope that a programme of action on the implementation
of the agenda will  be agreed upon at this session.

        Our aspirations for a new world economic order which is
equitable and non-discriminatory have not yet been realized.
Major  challenges of the decades, namely, acceleration of
development,  alleviation of poverty, and narrowing of the
widening gap among  countries need to be redressed urgently. We
fully support the call by the  Group of 77, the Non-Aligned
Movement and this august Assembly for  the resumption of the
stalled North-South dialogue. A constructive  dialogue based on
common interests and mutual benefits should enhance
international economic cooperation for development.

        We also welcome the successful conclusion of the Uruguay
Round, although our aspirations are not fully realized. We have
hoped for  an open, equitable and transparent multilateral
trading system which  would benefit all countries. We are most
concerned with new forms of  protectionism, particularly the
attempts to impose social and  environmental conditionalities
that discriminate against developing- country exports. These
protectionist measures will adversely affect world  trade and
growth.

        We are heartened by the Naples Summit Communique of the
Group of Seven which stated that the Seven would continue efforts
to  enhance development assistance, trade and investment in
developing  countries. It also stated that the Seven favour a
reduction in the stock of  debt and an increase in
concessionality for those countries facing special  difficulties.

Mr. President,

        My delegation takes note with appreciation of the report
of the  Secretary-General on the status and role of cooperatives
in the light of  new economic and social trends, and welcomes the
recommendations  contained therein. In developed and developing
countries alike,  cooperative societies today constitute
significant components of their  economies and play a crucial
role in their economic development. In my  country, we attach
great importance to the cooperatives sector as one of  the main
pillars of our economy and as an effective means of accelerating
the socio-economic development. It is an important part of the
economic  strategy of the Myanmar Government to promote and
expand the  cooperatives sector in our national economy. As we
shall be celebrating  next year the centenary of the
establishment of the International  Cooperative Alliance, it is
most fitting that this Assembly proclaims the  first Saturday of
July l995 to be the International Day of Cooperatives, and
Member States observe this day in future years as a recurrent
annual  event.

Mr. President,

        The Earth Summit held in Rio two years ago firmly placed
environmental issues on the global agenda, and since then, hardly
any  international meeting has taken place without calls for
common action to  save our planet. The protection and promotion
of the environment has  emerged as one of the most pressing
issues facing the world. No longer is  the natural world
perceived as a vast and inexhaustible frontier to be  explored
and exploited. Today there is a growing recognition that the
environment is not to be subjugated but to be treated with
respect and  care. An increasing number of countries now
recognize that environmental  issues warrant as much attention
and effort an other issues such as  disarmament, narcotics and
human rights.

        Myanmar is pleased to note that in all of this, the Asia
and  Pacific region has not been left behind. A Regional Meeting
to prepare for  the 1995 State of the Environment Report was held
in Yangon in July this  year. This meeting provided an
opportunity to senior government officials  to discuss in an
integrated manner issues related to the assessment of the  State
of the Environment at the national and regional levels.

        The Asian and Pacific region is composed of a large
number of  nations differing in size, resource endowment and
stage of economic  development. It is a region that is faced with
all the conceivable  environmental problems of the world --
deforestation, desertification,  climate change, etc. While
several countries of the region, particularly  those in Southeast
and Northeast Asia have registered remarkable  economic growth in
the last few decades, others have yet to achieve their
objectives. In many of our countries eradication of poverty and
greater  equity in income distribution remain major challenges.
Poverty and  environmental degradation are closely related.
Alleviating poverty  therefore is no longer simply a moral issue
but a practical imperative. At  the same time achieving
sustainable development will require that all  countries,
particularly the developed, change their consumption patterns.

        In the past we have tended to focus more on remedial
measures  than on the causes of environmental degradation. But if
we are to  overcome the challenges we face, we must deal with the
underlying  causes. As in health care, prevention is equally if
not more important than  the cure. We must therefore formulate
strategies that set out to alleviate  poverty and provide the
basic needs of food, water, clothing, shelter,  energy and health
care for our peoples while protecting the environment.  Aware of
the fact that poverty is the fundamental cause of environmental
degradation, we in Myanmar are concentrating on breaking the
vicious  cycle of poverty and environmental degradation. With a
view to  remedying the situation, the Government in 1989 launched
a programme  for the development of border areas and national
races. This integrated  approach is expected to generate higher
incomes and productivity by  providing employment opportunities
and increased welfare. The border  areas, inhabited by the
national races, have lagged far behind in all  aspects of
development owing mainly to the difficult terrain and lack of
adequate infrastructure. The situation is being rapidly improved.
Roads,  bridges, schools, hospitals and reservoirs, are being
built extensively. The  Government support for the development of
mini-hydroelectric power  plants will provide alternative sources
of energy for the towns and  villages in order to promote rural
industries, and at the same time, lessen  their dependence on
fuelwood. This integrated rural area development  programme will
not only have positive effects on the socio-economic  environment
but also drastically reduce the area under shifting cultivation,
resulting in conservation and regeneration of forest resources in
the  fragile mountain ecosystem.

        Sustainable management and conservation of forests have
long  occupied a place of pride in Myanmar's environmental
efforts. Sustainable  production of forest resources and
conservation of biodiversity are  assured by a Forest Working
Plan and a time-tested selective felling  system. About fifty per
cent of Myanmar's total land surface area is still  covered by
natural forests. Even though the forest area is about 33 million
hectares, the prescribed annual allowable cut is less than 3
million cubic  meters for teak and other hardwoods. This volume
of commercial  extraction is significantly less than that
harvested by other countries in  the region. The current
development activities of the Government in the  forest sector
include the special project for greening of the nine driest
districts of the country; extension of the area under reserved
forests;  establishment of new plantations; overall forestation
of the dry zone to  provide much needed timber and fuelwood for
rural communities and  measures to improve the watersheds.

        Myanmar attaches high importance to population issues and
recognizes the close link between population and sustainable
development. We have participated in the Cairo Conference and
heartily  welcome the adoption by consensus of a non-binding
twenty year  Programme of Action. Our population policy focus is
on voluntary birth- spacing to promote the health of the mother
and child. The Myanmar  Maternal and Child Welfare Association, a
non-governmental  organization is actively carrying out the
assigned task in this field.
Mr. President,

        Much has been accomplished by the United Nations in the
field  of human rights, the most recent of which, is the
appointment of the  United Nations High Commissioner for Human
Rights by consensus at the  previous General Assembly. The
appointment of such an important  personage by consensus bears
testimony to the fact that both the  developed and developing
countries attach importance to the promotion  and protection of
human rights in accordance with the principles and  purposes of
the United Nations charter. My delegation would like to wish  the
High Commissioner every success in carrying out his mandate.

        As a responsible member of the United Nations and as an
unwavering advocate of the values it represents, the Union of
Myanmar  has all along upheld and adhered to the basic norms of
human rights  enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations and
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  As confirmed by the
Bangkok Declaration, the principles of national sovereignty,
territorial integrity and non-interference in internal affairs
should be respected by all nations and  attempts to use human
rights to encroach on the essentially domestic  jurisdiction of
states should be avoided. We do not mean by this that  human
rights can be systematically violated behind the barrier of non-
interference. We wish to see the promotion of human rights
through  cooperation and consensus building, and not through
imposition of  values which we do not share. We believe that even
as we seek  universality of human rights, diversity in
historical, cultural and religious  backgrounds must never be
minimized or forgotten. We are also against  double standards and
the temptation to use human rights as a means to  achieve
political ends.

        The right to sufficient food, clothing and shelter; the
right to  decent quality of life; the right to live peacefully
and in security; are often  neglected in the clamour for
individual right. At this delicate juncture of  our history, when
Myanmar is in the midst of transforming itself to a multi- party
democracy with a market economy, the interests of its 45 million
people must take precedence over the interests of any one
individual.  Confrontation and incitement for unrest and
instability have no place  when the notion is in the process of
reconciliation and reconsolidation. In  keeping with the
aspirations of all the national races, Myanmar is also  presently
at the critical stage of drafting a firm constitution. My
Government would certainly not like to see the present momentum
of the  constitutional process and the efforts for national
reconciliation impeded  in any way. Nor can it allow a return to
the chaos and anarchy of the  incidents of 1988.

        The Myanmar Government does not condone human rights
abuses. In fact, it is totally against human rights abuses. We
have  cooperated fully with the United Nations in every field,
and in this regard,  with the Commission on Human Rights, by
providing information in  connection with communications and
queries concerning the situation in  Myanmar. Not only have we
provided information sought by the  Commission but have also
received the Independent Experts and the  Special Rapporteur
appointed by the Human Rights commission. The  Special
Rapporteur, Professor Yozo Yokota, was received in 1992 and in
1993. In deference to the United Nations, and as a gesture of our
goodwill  and cooperation, we will receive him yet again this
year.
Mr. President,

        The Memorandum of Understanding between Myanmar and the
UNHCR signed on 5 November 1993, providing the latter's role in
Myanmar's border development projects is an illustration of our
steady  cooperation with the United Nations and its subsidiary
bodies. It is normal  that some issues arise from time to time
between neighbouring states. In  such cases, we always seek
peaceful solutions based on mutual goodwill,  respect and
understanding. A case in point is the matter of transborder
movement of people between Myanmar and Bangladesh across the
common border. Although some quarters tried to exaggerate the
situation  by invoking potential regional destabilizatlon, our
two countries were able  to resolve the situation in a spirit of
mutual friendship and understanding  resulting in the
repatriation so far of nearly 70,000 returnees to their hearth
and home.

Mr. President,

        At the initiative of the United Nations
Secretary-General,  Myanmar decided to establish a dialogue with
the United Nations to  exchange views on various issues of common
concern. With your kind i  indulgence, I would like to briefly
apprise the Assembly of the  developments leading to this
decision. During his visit to Myanmar in  March this year,
Under-Secretary-General Mr. Rafeeudin Ahmed,  Executive Secretary
of the Economic and Social commission for Asia and  the Pacific
(ESCAP) delivered a letter and verbal message from the
Secretary-General of the United Nations to Secretary I of the
State Law  and Order Restoration Council. The Secretary-General,
in his letter,  expressed constructive remarks in regard to the
measures taken by the  Myanmar Government, and showed keen
interest in the developments in  Myanmar, particularly the
process of national reconciliation and steps  taken in drafting a
firm Constitution through the National Convention. The
Secretary-General also expressed his desire to establish a
dialogue with  the Government of the Union of Myanmar to exchange
views on the  various issues with a view to considering how the
United Nations can  assist in facilitating continued progress
towards the resolution of these  issues. Secretary I, while
acknowledging, informed the Secretary-General  to the effect that
a communication would be made on this subject in the  near
future.

Mr. President,

        While attending the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting in Bangkok,
I  transmitted through the Minister for Foreign Affairs of
Thailand on 21  July 1994 initial response to the
Secretary-General. Further to this  response, the Myanmar
Government informed the Executive Secretary of  ESCAP that the
Minister for Foreign Affairs of Myanmar has beer  designated to
initiate the dialogue proposed by the Secretary-General at a
mutually agreeable date and, in this regard, sought his advice on
the  modalities of how such a dialogue could be more fruitfully
carried out.
        I am happy to apprise this Assembly through you, Mr.
President,  that I have had two meetings with Mr. Marrack
Goulding, Under- Secretary-General for Political Affairs of the
United Nations earlier this  month and that the dialogue between
the Myanmar Government and the  United Nations is now well
underway.

Mr. President,

        The global spread of drug abuse has become a major
international concern in recent years. The evil consequences of
illicit  drugs transcend borders and the threat of illicit drugs
can only be  overcome with effective international cooperation.
We share the view that  concerted action is needed at national,
sub-regional, regional and global  level.

        Myanmar has always treated anti-narcotics measures as a
national responsibility. At the national level, the government
has adopted  comprehensive plans for the effective implementation
of drug suppression  measures. A new law against narcotic drugs
and psychotropic substances  was enacted in 1993 encompassing
effective measures against the  widening scope of the drug
menace, In our national strategies against  drugs, a new approach
was launched in 1988, the key concept of which  was to alleviate
the poverty of the peoples in the border areas by  providing them
with a means of alternative income, while at the same time
working to raise their awareness of the magnitude of human misery
resulting from drugs. This approach is being carried out as one
of the main  objectives of the Master Plan for the development of
the border areas and  national races. It is evident that the most
effective approach towards  eradication of poppy cultivation
would be to implement a comprehensive  programme for the social
and economic development of the national races  in the border
areas. We have now established a mechanism coordinating  action
against illicit drugs in all their aspects.

        We have also been coordinating our national efforts with
those  of our neighbours to ensure a maximum impact in drug
eradication in the  region. The Myanmar Government has signed
agreements with the  People's Republic of China and the UNDCP as
well as with Thailand and  the UNDCP. Bilateral narcotics
suppression agreements have been signed  with Laos and India, and
we aim to work out a similar agreement with  Bangladesh. In
October 1993, at New York, Myanmar, the People's  Republic of
China, Laos, Thailand and the UNDCP signed a Memorandum  of
Understanding which would further harmonize collective activities
aimed at reducing drug trafficking and production, eliminating
poppy  cultivation, and reducing drug demand and consumption.
There have  been two ministerial conferences at the sub-regional
level at which  Myanmar has contributed active participation.
Myanmar is a State Party to  the 1961 Single Convention on
Narcotic Drugs, and to the 1988 UN  Convention against Illicit
Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic  Substances. Moreover,
on 7 June this year, Myanmar deposited the  Instrument of
Accession to the UN Convention on Psychotropic  Substances. We
are also carrying out a series of measures in the  implementation
of the recommendations contained in the Global  Programme of
Action adopted by the Seventeenth Special Session of the  United
Nations General Assembly in February l990.

Mr. President,

        Members of the Myanmar security forces are engaged in a
relentless war against drug trafficking. They may not be wearing
blue  helmets like the men and women from different lands serving
as guardians  of peace under the United Nations banner, but the
cause for which  hundreds of them have sacrificed their life and
limb is no less  internationalist and no less worthy. As to those
who are expressing doubt  about our commitment to eradication of
narcotics, let me ask; "Which  country in the world has
sacrificed the lives of over 190 soldiers with  additional 350
wounded in the combat against drug traffickers in a matter  of
only four weeks?" With this serious dedication and commitment in
the  fight against illicit drugs, we in Myanmar are ready and
willing to  cooperate fully with all our neighbour and the
international community for  sustained efforts against this
scourge.

Mr. President,

        Myanmar is a Union made up of over a hundred different
national  races residing in Myanmar. Unity among the different
national races is  essential for the preservation of our
independence and sovereignty as  well as for the economic and
social progress of our country. Since  regaining independence in
1948, Myanmar unfortunately had to face  internal strife started
by various armed groups. Because of this, the  country had
suffered immensely and lagged behind in economic  development in
comparison with other nations of the region.
        Under these dire circumstances, it would only be natural
that the  State Law and Order Restoration Council would place the
utmost  importance on the preservation of independence and the
strengthening of  unity and national solidarity among all the
national races of Myanmar.  Since the time it took over
responsibilities of the State, the State Law and  Order
Restoration Council has been giving priority to the achievement
of  national reconciliation. Beginning from 1989, less than one
year after it  assumed responsibility, the Government made
overtures to the armed  groups to return to the legal fold. Since
April 1992, the Armed Forces have  suspended military offensives
against the armed groups in the interest of  national
reconciliation. Internal strife for over four decades has not
brought benefit to anyone. It has only caused death and
destruction and  untold suffering for the people. No one
appreciates peace more than a  soldier. It is therefore most
gratifying that a total of (12) groups having  trust in the
sincerity of the offer by the government have returned to the
legal fold, and are working together with the Government for the
development of their regions. These groups are also being
provided with  the opportunity to participate in the national
political process namely the  National Convention to shape the
country's future. With the Shan State  Nationalities Peoples'
Liberation Organization group which returned to the  legal fold
on 9 October 1994, the number of armed groups back into
reconciliation process is now 13. They will be integrated in the
same  manner as previous groups who are participating in the
National  Convention. To the remaining groups who still have yet
to return to the  legal fold, the Myanmar Government reiterates
its call to them not to miss  this golden opportunity but to join
hands in building a peaceful,  democratic and modern Union. Guns
have fallen silent in the country as  never before in the history
of modern Myanmar and these groups should  look at the greater
interest of the country and work for the benefit of all  the
national races as they themselves have been proclaiming for so
long.
Mr. President,

        At this juncture, let me turn to another aspect of the
Government's political objective - the drafting of a firm and
enduring  constitution. Towards this end, a National Convention
has been meeting  since the beginning of last year to draft a new
constitution. Consensus  has already been reached on the 15
Chapter Headings on the 104  fundamental principles of the State
as well as the Chapters on State, State  Structure and the Head
of State.

        At the resumed session of the National Convention which
commenced on 2 September 1994, the Chairman of the National
Convention Convening Work Committee elucidated the points
relative to  the matter of self-administered divisions or
self-administered zones in the  Union, and of constituting the
Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary  for detailed
discussions and deliberations among the delegates. As to  those
who allege that the process is moving too slowly, let me ask: "Is
not  the world today full of examples where too much haste had
led to chaos  and confusion, even to armed conflict and
disintegration of nations?" At  the same time, let me assure you
that the State Law and Order Restoration  Council has no
intention to unnecessarily prolong the process or to cause
delays. However, a balance must be struck between the need to
reach  consensus among the nearly 700 delegates on very urgent
and vital issues  like the national races and the desire for the
completion of the process in  appropriate time. Anyone following
these deliberations closely will realize  that they give lucid
lie to the allegations that the deliberations in the  National
Convention were orchestrated by the Government. At the same
time, I wish to indicate to some observers that in our society
reaching  consensus among us is more important than debating who
is right or  wrong, or who won the debate. We would like the
constitution to reflect  as much as possible the wishes of the
national races while at the same  time we would be most happy if
consensus on the remaining chapters  could be reached as soon as
possible. What the Government has done  and is doing at the
moment is to ensure peace, stability, law and order  while
striving for economic development of the entire nation so that
the  transition to democracy will be smooth and tranquil.

Mr. President,

        Today, the National Convention is in full session for
further  discussions on the fundamental principles to be
enshrined in the new  constitution. The very fact that the new
State Structure will be a  Pyidaungsu (Union) system is a
manifestation of the consensus that has  been reached by the
Convention. The new Pyidaungsu Thamada  Myanmar Naing Ngan-Daw
(Union of Myanmar) that is envisaged by the  National Convention
will be a genuine multiparty democratic state in order  to bring
the nation to a modern, united, stable, peaceful and harmonious
state. The new Constitution will have safeguards to guarantee
non- disintegration of the Union, non-disintegration of national
solidarity and  perpetuation of sovereignty and territorial
integrity.

        As in the case with other modern Constitutions, the three
organs  of government -- the Legislature, the Executive and the
Judiciary, will be  properly constituted and separated as much as
possible and will be able to  exert reciprocal control with
checks and balances amongst themselves.  Among the fundamental
principles already laid down, independent  administration of
justice in accordance with the law; administration of  justice in
public except where restricted by law; and the right of defence
and the right of appeal will be guaranteed. Furthermore, there
will be  Constitutional remedies and the Pyidaungsu Taya Hluttaw
(the Supreme  Court) will have the powers to issue writs.
Citizens will be able to enjoy  the rule of law which is the
fundamental legal safeguard necessary for a  democratic state.
Because of the separation of power envisaged in the  new
Constitution, the Judiciary will be the ultimate guardian of
fundamental rights. Freedom of thought, freedom of expression,
freedom  of belief, freedom of worship, freedom to seek a
livelihood and freedom of  organization will be guaranteed. There
will be equality of status, equality  in opportunity and equality
before the law.

Mr. President,

        The entire Myanmar nation is presently engaged in our
national  endeavour to establish a truly democratic and modern
society in  accordance with the aspirations of our people. We,
the people of the  Union of Myanmar, are doing our utmost to
advance the on-going  political and constitutional process and
the current programme of national  economic development in the
interest of all our national brethren. We  have a popular saying
in Myanmar:

                "As we sow in our deeds, so shall we surely reap
in our                  future destiny."

        We are therefore fully confident that, with our continued
dedication, determination and diligence in our national
endeavour, we will  surely be able to successfully establish a
democratic society, based on  universal values of justice,
liberty and equality.

        I thank you, Mr. President .

KYONB: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS FROM THE SLORC
Karen Youth Organization News Bulletin
No. (4)  October 1994

On August 5, 1994, anti-insurgent militia men and troops from
Burmas  Army Infantry Battalion (IB) No. 96 came to Shwe Yaung
Pia village and  seized villager Saw Kor Mia, aged 37. He was
told to show the way to the  rebel hide-out. When he could not,
he was told to find a cow or cash. He  was executed later when he
failed to find either.

On August 6, 1994, Thitsabauk Thanmani and men with Burmese army
troops from Mijaung Aing, seized villagers Saw Mor ChaLay, Saw
Bla Lar  and village head Saw Nor Nolar and demanded cash. Saw
Bla Lar was  released after paying 6000 Kyats, but the other two
were tortured when  they could not pay any.

Date 2-21-94

Column No. 2, from Company No. 5 of Burmese army Battalion No.
32, led  by commander Than Htit Tun arrested Saw Aung Pan and
asked him  about the numbers of Karen National Liberation Army
(KNLA) troops. He  asked Saw Aung Pan to show him the way in the
jungle where a battle  ensued later. They then seized Saw Aung
Pan and tied him with a rope  and kept him like that for five
days without any food. He was tortured and  questioned. After 5
days, he was released. Saw Aung Pan had been  suffering from a
gastric ulcer and after being kept without any food for  five
days, his gastric problem has become worse and is in danger of
death.
Date-1-4-94

Starting from 1-1-94, the SLORC troops from Battalion No. 48
issued an  order to every village on the west bank of Kabaung
Chaung river in  Toungoo district, instructing each household to
send half of their harvest  and the bamboos they had cut to the
army camp.

The order added that action would be taken according to law
against  those who failed to comply with the order.

On account of this extortion, the villages have to face great
hardship, as it  is quite difficult for them to make ends meet
even with full produce from  their land. One of the villages, In
Waing, is said to be facing starvation  starting from the month
of March.

Date 2-26-94

On February 26, 1994 troops of IB No. 61 entered Ma-u village of
Ye  Township after a battle with KNLA troops and looted
properties from Daw  Ma Ku house and the village monastery worth
about 2 million Kyats. Daw  Ma Ku's house was burnt down after
looting. Military boot prints on the  floor of monastery building
proper and faeces in the compound were  found after the SLORC
troops left.

Date 2-1-94

On 2-1-94, No. 55 Division Operation Commander Aung Myit sent
Major  Than Win and his column including 200 soldiers to set up
their camp in Ye  Tho Kyi village of Thandaung Township. He named
the operation as  Operation Animist King.

The SLORC troops staying in Ye Tho Kyi village with their
operation  commander Aung Myint, cut down and destroyed all the
betel nut and  other fruit trees in the village. The villagers
have to give eight porters each  month in addition to having to
pay 300 Kyats per household as porter  fees. There are 150 houses
in Ye Tho Kyi village.

Starting from (3-7-94) the SLORC troops started to force the
villagers to  build a new motor road passing by the village. The
villagers have to  collect stones for paving the road every day.
One person from each house  has to take part in the work, and if
any one fails, the SLORC troops mete  out severe punishment. The
drivers of the cars or trucks using the road  also have to pay
10,000 Kyats each. Often, the SLORC troops seize the  cars for
logistical purposes.

Date 2-12-93

On 2-12-93, the SLORC combined-forces from IB Nos. 135, 39 and 48
led  by column commander Hsan Aung went to La Maing Pya village
of  Tantabin Township in Toungoo District. They seized one woman,
Naw  Kaw Kaw, aged 35, and accused her of being a rebel contact.
Later, they  forced her into a room and raped her. Moreover, the
SLORC troops took  the jewelry from Naw Kaw Kaw, a gold necklace
and a pair of earrings she  was wearing.

Date 6-5-93

On 6-5-93 SLORC troops from Light Infantry Battalion (LIB) No.
351, led  by operation commander Thet U Maung, entered into Ma Gu
Taung  village of Thandaung Township in Karen State. In the
village, Naw Aye  Mya who was coming back from gathering
firewood, was seized by  operation commander Thet U Maung. She
was tied up with a rope and  taken away for a week during which
she was raped five times by the  operation commander.

Date 3-26-94

On 3-18-94, No. 2 Column commander Major Nyunt Tin, of SLORC LIB
No.  343 called a meeting at Taungbaw village of Ye Township. In
the meeting  he said that the villagers had to move to a place
near Ye-Tavoy motor road  within two days of March 20 and 21. He
said that he would burn down the  houses in the village if the
villagers did not obey his orders.

Not wanting to abandon the land of their forefathers and having
very  limited means to settle in a new place in so short a time
the villagers  remained in their village beyond the deadline. On
the 26th of March, Major Nyunt Tin and his military column No. 2
showed up in the village and beat up the villagers and ordered
them at gun point to dismantle their houses in  two hours, saying
also that they would burn down the houses of those  who failed to
finish in time. Ten houses of the villagers who failed to tear
down their houses in time were burnt down by the troops. The
village had  had a total of 60 houses with a population of 280.

In the new place, the villagers had to face great difficulties,
due to a lack of  enough water supply, wild vegetables and
building materials. Every day  from dawn to dusk, the villagers
have to collect stones for paving the  road. As the limited
amount of food they had brought with them ran out  quickly, in
the absence of supplementary food sources, the villagers now
have to survive on boiled rice. As if that were not enough, the
SLORC  troops forced the villagers to pay cash of l00 Kyats a
month, a month after  their arrival in the new place.

(K.Y.O. reporter.)

++++++++++
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!

Dear friends,

This News Bulletin will try to publish two issues per month. If
any  individual or group wants to contribute, please contact us.
Be happy and successful.

K.Y.O. News Bulletin
P.O. Box 22,
Mae Sod 63110, Tak,
THAILAND

ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:

 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS,  AFP: AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK,  AWSJ: ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt.=US$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION,  BI: BURMA ISSUES
 BIG: BURMA INFORMATION GROUP,  BKK POST: THE BANGKOK POST
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TTEE FOR THE PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW,  KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 S.C.B.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP S.C.T.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST,  XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY