BurmaNet News: November 8, 1994

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
BurmaNet News: Tuesday, November 8, 1994
Issue #56

Contents:

1. BKK POST: HOMECOMING NEVER A JOYOUS OCCASION FOR DEPORTEES
2. BURMANET: WHAT'S UP?
3. S.C.B.: BURMESE SACRED ART
4. S.C.B.: LOOKING FOR CAR TIRE MANUFACTURER IN MYANMAR
5. BURMANET: LETTER ON UNIV. OF WISCONSIN'S INVESTMENT IN BURMA
6. S.C.B.: SHAN STORY - MINE

The  BurmaNet News  is  an   *********************************
electronic daily newspaper   *                               *
covering  Burma.  Articles   *                  Iti          *
from newspapers, magazines,  *                 snotpo        *
the  wire services, news-    *             werthatcor        *
letters  and  the Internet   *            ruptsbutfea        *
are  published  as well as   *           r.Fearoflos         *
original material.           *          ingpowercor          *
                             *       ruptsthosewhoare        *
The BurmaNet News  is        *     subjecttoit...Theef       *
e-mailed  directly to        *     fortnecessarytoremain     *
subscribers  and  is         *   uncorruptedinanenvironm     *
also  distributed via        *  entwherefearisanintegralpar  *
the soc.culture.burma,       *   tofeverydayexistenceisnot   *
and  soc.culture.thai        *      immediatelyapparent      *
newsgroups as well as        *       tothosefortun           *
the seasia-l mailing         *       ateenoughtol            *
list.   For  a  free         *       iveinstatesgo           *
subscription  to the         *        vernedbytheru          *
BurmaNet News, send          *        leoflaw...Iam          *
an  e-mail  note to:         *        n ota     frai         *
                             *                  d..          *
strider@xxxxxxxxxxx          *                   .D          *
                             *                   aw          *
Subscriptions are handled    *                   Au          *
manually so please  allow    *                   ng          *
for a delay  before  your    *                  San          *
request is fielded.          *                  Su           *
                             *                  uK           *
Letters  to  the  editor,    *                   yi          *
comments or contributions    *                   .           *
of  articles  should  be     *********************************
sent to the strider address as well.  For those without e-mail,
BurmaNet can be contacted by fax or snailmail.

     By fax: (in Thailand) (66)2 234-6674
     Attention to BurmaNet, care of Burma Issues

     By snailmail: (in the United States)
     BurmaNet, care of Coban Tun
     1267 11th Avenue #3
     San Francisco, CA 94122 USA

BKK POST: HOMECOMING NEVER A JOYOUS OCCASION FOR BURMA DEPORTEES
November 8, 1994

BURMESE deportees show no sing of happiness about family re-
unions: For them, there can never be a joyful homecoming. What
repatriated illegal Burmese immigrants want most is to return to
Thailand. Although the kingdom is no paradise for them, it is
much better than the hardship in Burma. These people enter
Thailand through border districts of Mae Sai in Chiang Rai, Mae
Sot in Tak, Sankhla Buri in Kanchanaburi and through the southern
border province of Ranong, which borders Burma's Victoria Point.
After sneaking in, the men look for low-wage jobs with fac-
tories, pig farms or trawlers while the women can end up as house
maids, employees in small shops or factories - or prostitutes.

Some of these people travel further t work in Cambodia's gem
mines. In coastal province, where the economies rely heavily on
fishing, illegal Burmese immigrants are said to be more welcome
than Thais because employers can pay less for more work.

At least 10,000 such immigrants are believed to travel back and
forth between Ranong and Victoria Point aboard Thai fishing
vessels where they generally earn about 1,500 to 2,000 baht a
month.

Burmese with higher skills may be paid 2,000 to 4,000 baht. Free
room and board is provided on the trawlers. The Burmese also get
extra money based on the volume of fish caught on each trip.

Trawlers are usually the starting point for Burmese newcom- ers
to Thailand. Burmese who have been in the country for some time
do not want to work on the ships because the work is hard, full
of pressure and lonely.

After spending some time on trawlers, the Burmese start looking
for new jobs ashore at construction sites or in grocery shops,
creating more vacancies at sea for new arrivals. The less
fortunate may end up working for no pay, only food. The Ranong
labour office chief said severe labour shortages, particular in
the fishing industry, prompted Thai employers to resort to
unscrupulous means to get workers.

They known they can take advantage of illegal Burmese immi-
grants who cannot complain to Thai officials for fear of arrest
and deportation.  Ranong Fisheries' Association chairman Sompoj
Pochanakul said Burmese provide the main work force in the
industry because Thai from the Northeast were not longer
interested in the work. Mr Sompoj claimed there was not much
difference between the wages of Thais and Burmese but conceded
Burmese workers might be paid less than Thais.

Thai workers usually make money by getting a share of the revenue
from each catch. Burmese earn about 3,000 baht a month on average
but do not have to pay for food at sea. "Burmese are industrious
and can endure hard work. They do not have many problems about
wages," Mr Sompoj said. Apart from illegal workers, Ranong has
about 17,000 Burmese who have been registered by the Local
Administration Depart- ment and are allowed to be employed
legally.

Employers will hire the registered Burmese at no more than 70
baht a day. This is said to be the rate for good, clear workers
in cold stores or for skilled construction workers. Burmese
working in houses or shops are paid 20 to 40 baht a day plus free
room and board. Those who work at fish piers or ports earn no
more than 50 baht a day.

Employers prefer to hire Burmese than Thais for lowskilled jobs
since they are required by law to pay Thai workers daily minimum
wages which are about double what they pay the Burmese. They
usually hire Thais to supervise the Burmese. Another 4,000
Burmese immigrants in Ranong, who arrived in Thailand before
March 9, 1976, seem to have better lives than their compatriots
who came later.

These people have special cards issued by the Local Adminis-
tration  Department  which expire every five years. The cards
enable them to have employment rights similar to those of Thai.
Many of them are said to have become vendors earning good money.

Illegal Burmese immigrants in Ranong mostly live together in
congested, dirty communities near fishing piers. The regis- tered
workers stay with their employers. If the illegal immigrants
cross the border with their entire families, they rent houses or
warehouses or stay in deserted boats near the piers. The Burmese
communities now have brothels with Burmese-only prostitutes as
well as restaurants and coffee shops run by Thais.

The risk of arrest and deportation by immigration police, or of
being worked harder than Thais, does not discourage illegal
workers from neighbouring countries from making their way to
Thailand to escape misery at home. Burmese prostitutes arrested
in Thailand are said to prefer detention in a Thai prison to a
life of freedom in their own country.

Wa Yin, 17, a Karen from Rangoon, deported on foot with about 200
other illegal immigrants in Sangkhla Buri, said she would return
one day. Thai authorities send home illegal Burmese immigrants
through the Sangkhla Buri border crossing every Monday, Wednesday
and Friday.

Wa Yin said she illegal entered Thailand with two friends through
Mae Sot district in Tak about three years ago. The three had with
them about 5,000 baht in all. According to Wa Yin, she and her
friends started working at a bamboo shoot preservation factory
but could not stay there long because of hard work which began at
3 a.m and ended at almost 2 a.m. the next day.

After five months in Mae Sot, they contacted a broker who helped
smuggle them to Bangkok for 2,000 baht each. Wa Yin said she was
sent to work as a maid for a Chinese man who paid the broker
6,000 baht for the service. But the meagre wage of 20 baht a day
forced her to escape from the employer after seven months at his
house. The woman said she took a bus to Rayong and then came back
to Bangkok where she managed to meet someone who helped find her
a housekeeping job which paid 1,200 baht a month. Then she was
arrested.  Illegals deported to Burma mostly group together at a
refugee camp at Ban Halockani, an area controlled by Mon minority
rebels.

They are not detained at the camp, which receives some hu-
manitarian aid from international organizations. "I don't know
how to go back to Rangoon. I may not return there . Life is hard
there. I have nothing to eat and no job. It is better to stay in
Thailand. I have a job and it is not hard," said Wa Yin in broken
Thai. She said she had promised herself that she must return to
work in Thailand. Although her pay was small, it was a lot of
money for her.

Ong Din, a 25-year-old Mon, hired a motorcycle from Chumphon to
Prachuap Khiri Khan's Thab Sakae district for 600 baht to look
for his father, who he had not met for 10 years, at Hau Phak camp
controlled by Mon ethnic rebels. Ong din said that when he was 15
he escaped to Thailand through Sangkhla Buri  with his brother
who was from Yemunai in southern Burma. They then began working
with a fishing vessel at Mahachai in Samut Sakhon province.

He his brother could save only 1,500 baht altogether after a year
and decided  to switch to work at an electrical shop where they
were together paid 90 baht ever 15 days. Ong Din said he ended up
working on board trawlers. He was then promoted to head the team
and earned 3,000 baht a month plus extra money from sales of
fish. But Ong Din said there were risks.

"When we go to fish illegally in Burmese waters, our employers
tells us to prepare for danger," he said. Ong Din said his life
had improved and he was waiting for an employer had sought from
the Local Administration Department. He said he had been cheated
in the past by a Thai employer who put a gun on the desk and
asked whether he wanted his pay or "the gun".

"Since I did not have the card, I could not ask for the money."
Mee, 18, from Burma, who has a card and works at a cold store in
Ranong, said she came with several friends by pay- ing 2,000 baht
to a human trafficker.

She said she worked illegally at a fish meal factory and at a
fishing pier in Ranong before she moved to the cold store where
she earned 70 baht a day, which she considered good. Mee does not
want to return to Burma.

BURMANET: WHAT'S UP?
November 8, 1994

The story above [BKK POST: HOMECOMING NEVER A JOYOUS OCCASION FOR
BURMA DEPORTEES] seems to be fairly well done but over the past
month there has been a noticeable increase in the number of
articles in Bangkok's press with a common theme of "crazed-
Burmese-illegal-immigrant-slaughters-innocent-Thai-family."  Some
of the statements coming from National Security Council officials
have been variations on the this theme.  If there is a
connection, it wouldn't be the first time that the N.S.C.'s
policy line showed up as news articles.

There isn't enough information yet to determine what is happening
but something seems to be up.  Whatever it is appears aimed at
the Burmese not living in camps along the border.  There are as
many as 500,000 people from Burma living in Thailand outside of
the camps.  Some are so-called "economic migrants" while others
would face political persecution if they return to Burma.

S.C.B.: BURMESE SACRED ART
Nov  4, 1994

Posted by kimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Does anyone know of a site where I could get information or
images on Burmese sacred art or Burmese Buddhist art?  I'm asking
for a friend who's not on the net and who is taking a class on
this topic, including a trip to Burma to see some of the sacred
sites.  Thanks very much.
Kathy
kimber@xxxxxxx

S.C.B.: LOOKING FOR CAR TIRE MANUFACTURER IN MYANMAR
Nov  6, 1994

Posted by fbap3049@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was informed by a collegue some time back that they still
manufacture motorcar tires in Myanmar for 18 inch and other large
diameter (19" etc.) rims. If this is true could someone please
help me locate this company as I and a few others might be
interested in their tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can contact me at the following (e-mail or fax prefered):

        Philipp Haeusler
e-mail: fbap3049@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  or fbap3049@xxxxxx
fax:    (65) 763-3019
tel:    (65) 763-0050
s-mail: P.O. Box 73 Bukit Timah Post Office, Singapore 9158

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Philipp Haeusler

BURMANET: LETTER ON UNIV. OF WISCONSIN'S INVESTMENT IN BURMA
November 8, 1994

To: BurmaNet readers From: [Name withheld] (Sydney, Australia)

Dear friend,

Thank you for trying to stop investment in Pepsi-Co and Texaco.
They're wrongly present in Burma and supporting the repressive
military junta. As far as I know, some companies present in Burma
will be either reviewed after true democracy restoration in
Burma. I mean "true democracy" is "the military must keep away
from politics"; not leading role in politics.

At present, the so-called government in Burma is not a legitimate
government and they do not have any authorities to make judgement
or management for Burma. We assume that our country power must be
descended from people of Burma (not from military). Friends and
foes are listed in our mind.

Someone investing in Burma is very much like conspiring with
robbers.

I really appreciate your consideration for stopping investment in
Pepsi- Co and Texaco.

Thank you.

[NAME WITHHELD] (Sydney)

S.C.B.: SHAN STORY - MINE
john.scherb@xxxxxxx
Nov  5, 1994

It's a hot day in Bangkok (when will the cool season arrive?)

I'm a journalist who is doing research into the SE Asia Heroin
Trade.

There is a fellow (I think he is a composite) named Khun Sang
(sp?) in the triangle who is supposed to be the ultimate heavy
in this business. Supposed to be a real bad-ass with his own army
in the Shan states (I've been there). I think his rep far exceeds
his actual abilities.

I want to get ahold of him or his reps for my story. I hear he is
"going down" due to geopolitical games. Everyone knows the "War
on Drugs" is a joke, but it's election time in the US. Things in
SE Asia are changing fast, very fast indeed.

I'm not interested in bullshit, I already have a file on this guy
and his known associates.

I do not, repeat not, want to deal with *anyone* from the US
embassy in BKK or Burma or HK. This is a serious story.

I can be reached on this BBS only. If his reps read this message,
the best advice I can give him is to take the loot and scoot.
Otherwise, he is a walking dead man. I want the story and am
prepared to do whatever it takes to get it. This is an exclusive.
No other journalists need apply.

Thanks &

Best Regards,
John Gregory Scherb

C 'Ya Real Soon KS!

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:

 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 AWSJ: ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt.=US$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BI: BURMA ISSUES
 BIG: BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EASTERN ECONOMIC REVIEW
 JIR: JANE'S INTELLIGENCE REVIEW
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; 110-120 KYAT=US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   6 KYAT=US$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-OWNED NEWSPAPER, RANGOON)
 S.C.B.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 S.C.T.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT