Politics and SCB (r)

The lack of Burmese expatriate participation in anti-SLORC activities is
one of the major reasons that SLORC has maintained its hold on political
and military power in Burma.  Many Burmese expats justify their
inactivity with "I'm comfortable in another country, I can't change things, so
why bother" reasoning.  As demonstrated by the success of groups such as
Amnesty International, this attitude is incorrect; military dictatorships
are very sensitive to bad international publicity, and putting them on
notice that the world is aware of their actions often results in freeing
dissidents from prison.

Similary, political activity also influences other governments and
corporations to put pressure on SLORC.  By demonstrating against the
actions of one's country of
residence/citizenship, governments think twice about their relations with
SLORC, and this can result in reduction of military and economic aid that
SLORC uses to oppress the people of Burma.  In the case of the United
States, very few native born citizens are actively involved in politics,
so Burmese efforts to change U.S. policy toward SLORC are all the more
effective.  It is easy to hear someone talking in a silent room.

To all the Burmese I've met over the years who are active in the
democracy struggle:  keep up the good work.