ABSDO Statement

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 03:52:36 -0800

------------

 JOINT STATEMENT ON THE CURRENT SITUATION CONCERNING BURMA

NUS (National Union of Students -Australia)
and
ABSDO (All Burma Student Democratic Organisation - Australia)

We would like to draw urgent attention to recent events in Burma and Thailand.

* On January 27 SLORC troops captured the headquarters in Manerplaw of the
ethnic and democratic opposition forces, forcing some 3000 people to  flee
into Thailand.   This event, following a number of recent offensives
carried out by SLORC against opposition forces, is in blatant breach of
promises to seek national reconciliation in the country.  We do not believe
that national unity and democratization can be achieved through military
power.  The political problems in the country must be solved in peaceful
political ways and not by means of arms.
         It is therefore that we urge SLORC to immediately stop hostilities
against the ethnic and student forces along the Thai-Burmese border.

* Our second point concerns Thailand's policy of "constructive engagement".
We are concerned that through constructive engagement Thailand is
supporting the military regime in Burma as well as suppressing the Burmese
pro-democracy forces in Thailand.  On 17 January  68 Burmese students were
arrested despite their recognition as political refugees or "persons of
concern" by the UNHCR.  This was because of the protest the day before
against mistreatment of students by Thai authorities in the so-called Safe
Area.  The students who were arrested were sent to the Special Dentention
Centre (SDC) in Bangkok -- to join six other students who have been held
there for one year, where they face indefinite detention.  We urge that the
students not be put in danger of being deported back to Burma (to risk
atrocities from the authorities in the SLORC regime).  It is no longer safe
for the Burmese students in Thailand.
        - -We urge:  that the Thai government to release the students from
detention in SDC immediately;
        - that the Thai government close down the so-called Safe Area in
Ratchaburi province;
        - that the students be allowed to stay in Bangkok temporarily with
protection and assistance from the UNHCR;
        - that the students not be forcibly repatriated to Burma;
        -  and for there to be an urgent meeting between Ministry of
Interior (MOI), UNHCR, NGOs and students.

* Our third point is about Bob Hawke's recent business visit to Burma.  We
are very concerned that, as a former Prime Minister of Australia, he is
encouraging political recognition and economic investment in favour of
SLORC by Australia and other countries.  As a citizen of Australia Bob
Hawke's initiative is clearly encouraging  trade and investment in Burma,
but we would urge the Australian Government in its "benchmark" policy to
discourage trade and investment with the regime.  It hard to believe his
most recent activities with a repressive regime when in 1989 he expressed
great support for the Chinese students and pro-democracy forces in Tianaman
Square.  The investments would directly finance the SLORC to buy more arms
and ammunition to perpetuate military power and carry out human rights
abuses on its own population.

January 30 1995

hazel lang
        International Relations, RSPAS, ANU