SLORC (NLM): INVITATION TO JOIN HAN

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 22:01:52 -0800
Subject: SLORC (NLM): INVITATION TO JOIN HANDS WITH THE TATMADAW

news reporter
                ALL LOCAL PEOPLE URGED TO JOIN HANDS WITH
                    TATMADAW AND WORK FOR KAYIN STATE
              TO BE TOTALLY FREE OF STRIFE AND BE PEACEFUL,
                               PROSPEROUS
          WILL SOON BE ABLE TO FULLY ENJOY THE FRUITS OF PEACE

                                                   New Light of Myanmar

          General Maung Aye said the State Law and Order Restoration Council is making
efforts for the all-round development of the State.
          For the State to achieve development, it is necessary to have peace and tranquillity in
the country and for various states to achieve development, it is necessary for the regions to be
free of armed groups and destructionists, he said.
          He said the government invited underground armed groups to return to legal fold so
that development of states and border areas could be carried out hand in hand with them with
added momentum. So far 13 such groups have returned to the legal fold and the people in the
regions which have become peaceful and tranquil are now enjoying the fruits of all-round
development, he said.
          In Kachin State also, the KIO group has returned to the legal fold and has joined hands
with the Government in development works and now the region has become peaceful and the
state is beginning to achieve development. The grand holding of the Student Sports Festival in
Kachin State and the building of Ayeyarwady (Myitkyina) Bridge is in essence due to peace and
tranquillity, he said.
          The General pointed out that the State Law and Order Restoration Council is making
equal endeavours for development of all the states all at the same time.
          He said the Thanlwin (Hpa-an) Bridge is being built in Kayin State and arrangements
have been made for a triple decker ordered from the People's Republic of China to operate in the
state beginning from the Union Day.
          He said the State Law and Order Restoration Council has formed the Ministry for
Progress of Border Areas and National Races and Development Affairs so that border areas and
national races development works can be carried out most effectively.
          He noted that smooth transportation is mainly important for bringing about
development of the country and states and divisions. Accordingly, the Government is building
Union Highways to have good road links and in order to be able to implement the road building
tasks with full strength it is vital to have peace and tranquillity in the regions, he said.

                              Complete  End

      The General spoke of the need for service personnel and the regional people to join hands
with the Tatmadaw to put a complete end to strife in Kayin State and make it a peaceful, tranquil
and developed state.
      The Secretary-1 then delivered an address. He said that, before long, the rays of peace
will begin to radiate in Kayin State and all the national people in Kayin State will be able to fully
enjoy the fruits of peace.
                                   -2-

      He pointed out that due to differences in political, racial and other ways of thinking
internal armed disturbances had come about in the country along with the country's independence.
He said although over 40 years have passed since the country regained independence, it lagged
behind in development compared to other countries, due to the armed disturbances.
     He pointed out that likewise Kayin State has also been suffering the brunt of armed
disturbances for over 40 years and compared to other states it has lagged behind in development.
And the people in the rural areas are having to suffer numerous hardships due to the armed
disturbances even to this day.
      He said that while the State Law and Order Restoration Council is assuming the
responsibilities of the State, it is determined to build the country into a peaceful, prosperous and
modern developed State by means of the united strength of all the national people.

                              To join hands

          Accordingly it is carrying out works for development of border areas and national races
and at the same time it invited underground armed groups so that they would be able to join hands
with the government in carrying out tasks for the development of their respective regions. Due to
this, up to 13 groups, understanding and realizing  the genuine goodwill of the Government, have
come into the legal fold, he said.
      He said a group comprising himself and the ministers came to Hpa-an in November 1993,
and , in order to achieve peace in Kayin State, invited the underground armed groups in the Kayin
State to meet and hold talks with the Government to come into the legal fold and join hands in
working for the interests of Kayin State and the country.
      He pointed out that the Government extended the invitation with pure goodwill to
achieve peace. He said the Government has no political, military or economic stringency
whatsoever . It has extended invitations with true goodwill for national solidarity and for working
hand in hand to uplift the lives of the national people who have lagged behind in development due
to internal armed disturbances.
       The Secretary-1 said, moreover, that the Tatmadaw unilaterally halted all its offensives in
Kayin State, but the KNU capitalised on this and machinated battles.

Intoxicated in luxury

     He said the KNU leader Bo Mya did not wish to accept the peace call of the Government.
He had his KNU Headquarters at a place near the border of the two countries and whenever he
got into a tight spot due to offensives he fled into the other country and came back when things
calmed down. KNU Bo Mya and the leaders have business structures near the border and live
intoxicated in luxury.  As they therefore do not wish to give up their leadership they have in
devious ways avoided peace giving absurd excuses for not holding peace talks. Moreover, with
reliance on those backing them, they sought political gain, deceiving the Government in devious
ways, he said.
      He pointed out armed clashes raged in Kayin State and reduced the big villages to small
ones and the small ones into mere hiding places for the people. Some had to move away to
suburbs of towns and eke out a living somehow there. Most were farming-based people and as
they had to abandon their land and run away they suffered a lot of hardships. Due to armed
clashes the national people suffered and regional development also lagged behind a great
deal. Base level youths and middling members of the KNU underground armed group realized this
and they wanted peace, he said.

                                   -3-

      The Secretary-1 went on to say that the leaders of the KNU are ones who do not want
peace and with the passage of time they are being increasingly seen by the lower levels as ones
enjoying personal gains out of armed disturbances.
       Although they chant the cry that it was for the betterment of Kayin messes, the people of
Kayin State could not enjoy the taste of independence but had to suffer great hardships due to
inferiority of the KNU leaders, he said. Casualties in battles too are not few, he pointed out.

                               Unfairness

       He said that, within the KNU armed group, unfairness in giving promotions and ranks,
unfairness in giving reward and punishment, inferiority in leadership, excessive indulgence of
leaders in luxury, neglect of followers, and prohibition of freedom of religious faith are causing
dissent among the lower levels, increasing the ranks of antagonistic elements from day to day, and
dissenters came to gather together.
       The Secretary-1 said although in Myanmar Naing Ngan all the national races are free to
profess the religion of their choice, there is no freedom of worship within the KNU group and
there is constant oppression on members of the Buddhist faith. In 1994 because KNU leader Bo
Mya  Sayadaw U Thuzana of Myainggyingu carrying out religious work, lower-level members
of the armed group felt resentful and it led to rebellion and armed clashes broke out within the
ranks of the KNU. Finally, the KNU Headquarters at Manerplaw was attacked and captured by
the DKBA group which broke away from the KNU group. This was the final burst of dissensions
which had been building up gradually for quite a number of years eventually leading to the capture
of Manerplaw camp of KNU Headquarters, he said.
       He said the attitude of the DKBA group that had broken away from KNU
was to put an end to the suffering of the people that had gone on because there was no peace due
to armed clashes in Kayin State. So, they asked for help from the Tatmadaw to drive all who did
not want peace out of the region. So, for the sake of peace and tranquillity in Kayin State and
security of life of the people, the Tatmadaw provided necessary assistance to the DKBA group.
       He pointed out that as the State Law and Order Restoration Council always places in the
fore Our Three Main National Causes and endeavors for raising the standard of living of the
national races and promoting development of the states, also as the attitude and concept of the
DKBA group which has broken away from the KNU group are in accord with its own attitude
and concept, it has given necessary assistance.
       He pointed out that as the KNUs have fled from the Manerplaw camp, the rays of peace
in Kayin State are beginning to radiate. He spoke of the need for departmental personnel and all
the regional people to join hands and continue concerted efforts for peace and tranquillity
throughout the entire Kayin state.

                             "Enjoy fruits"

      Once the state becomes peaceful and tranquil, he said, it would become possible to carry
out works for improving road links, agriculture, tapping natural resources and developing
 hydro-electric resources with increased momentum.  He spoke of the need for all the national
people to place in high esteem Our Three Main National Causes and take part in works for peace,
tranquillity and development of the state, under the leadership of the Government, hand in hand
with the Tatmadaw.

                             WHITHER KNU?                              (8)

                                           New Light of Myanmar

January 1, 1995, the New Year day for Christians coincides with the traditional Kayin New Year,
the 1st Waxing of Pyatho. Although he knew the DKBO has broken away, Nga Mya published his
New Year Speech in advance on 29 December 1994.

      The full text of the speech sent out to all communication points of the entire KNU the day
after the DKBO had declared its severance from the KNU was as follows:

Speech delivered by Kayin National Union Chairman General Saw Bo Mya on Kayin New
Year       Day , the 1st Waxing of Pyatho 2734, 1 January 1995

                                       There have been 46 years of fighting since the 1949 revolution began. Just as there has
been unity in the past, we have to continue the fight unitedly with the leadership of the KNU till
freedom is obtained.

     Kayin nationals,
          One regrettable episode of 1994 is that we are misunderstood and  opposed by some
yebaws, who due to  instigation, are saying Christians oppressed Buddhists and denied them
rights. This act is the scheme of the enemy. The enemy struck at us to cause our disintegration .
      It is explicitly prescribed in the KNU organizational rules that all religions shall have
freedom of worship.
      It is prescribed that religions be not of lower or higher status, that they be equal and shall
not find fault in each other, that they be united.
      According to the words of the elders, unity brings success. What the enemy said about
Christians oppressing Buddhists is totally untrue. The truth is, Christians and Buddhists are
friendly. They help each other. When monasteries were built, the required timber and other items
were given. Help was given to each other when necessary.
      Because we leaders truly desire peace and unity, none of the yebaws who believed the
enemy will face action or be punished. We forgave and wrote off all their acts.
      As our elders said, just as the sky is not free of clouds, no one is free from faults.
Therefore, all those who have believed the enemy's instigation should revert to what is right and
collectively take part in work that will be of benefit to Kayin nationals. I want all Kayin nationals
to be united and work together with one mind in 1995.

      Kayin nationals, all yebaws,
      You will see that if the faces of roosters which are creatures, are smeared with pot-black,
and set against each other, they will fight. In making them fight thus, the one who makes them do
it does not suffer. Those who fight suffer. The enemy has smeared us with pot-black and made us
fight one another. If we fight against each other, who will suffer? We Kayins suffer. If Kayins
fight each other, the enemy will applaud and will be happy.

-5-

     In the past episode, the enemy used Kayins to assassinate Kawkasa Saw Ba U Gyi. The
enemy issued weapons to them and made them fight the KNU. They sacrificed their lives for the
enemy in vain.

          Therefore, build the unity that will be of benefit to Kayin nationals with a view to forging
unity of the entire Kayin nationals. As 1994 comes to a close, forsake the instigation of the
enemies and march toward unity. May all Kayin nationals find unity, peace, prosperity and
success on this auspicious Kayin New Year.
                                     xxx

      Nga Mya thus simultaneously organized both Christian KNUs and Buddhist Kayins. Nga
Mya the example of setting rooster pets on the same household against one another by smearing
their faces with pot-black. Actually Nga Mya himself smeared the faces of Buddhists with pot-
black, and he himself started fighting them and it is boomeranging on him.

          KNU yebaws were all in disarray. Captain Sepeh got on the wireless and asked Major Ye
Din the condition of 1st Brigade, but he could not respond accurately.

          "Bohmugyi Ye Din, what is the position of our 1st Brigade?...I asked Bo Aung Naing
about the situation at Central and he said it was calm. I don't believe it, Bohmugyi. Central is
trying to fool us. Many of the yebaws under it have joined forces with the monks. My grey head is
contacting the monks".
          "Which grey head, Sepeh?"
          "Major Ywa Hay".
          "Major Sepeh, I myself am watching the situation. Whenever asked, Central says it's calm.
Let's talk among ourselves".

      Major Kyaw San also got into the talk on the wireless.
          "After two of our leaders have joined the monks, the followers are now about to do the
same. If time drags on, situation will be hard to control. Something specific must be decided".
          Captain Sepeh also continued:
      "Bohmugyi Ye Din, you are the highest in rank at present in 1st Brigade. Make a firm
decision. Get in touch with Ywa Hay, the grey head, and make enquiries.. We would like to join if
necessary".
          "I think we should do it only after finding out the opinion of others. I am now at Tar-u-
khi. I'll consult the matter with leaders. Don't be so anxious. I'll do what should be done".

          Men in the KNU were not interested  in the New Year speech issued in advance by Nga
Mya. They only took interest in the list of members of the Central Executive Committee issued by
the DKBO on 1 January 1995.  Tha Htoo Kyaw was Chairman and Ywa Hay, the grey head,
Vice-chairman. It comprised San Hlaing, Major Kyaw Than, Mahn Ba Nyunt San, Mahn Tun
Shin, Mahn Nay Min and U Thurein.
          KNU imposed a blackout of the news about DKBO. It even issued fabricated news. It
spread false news that Capt. Pha Nway and six of his men escaped from the mutineers. ABSDF
Naing Aung's group, expert in spreading rumours and in cheap propaganda work at the same
time, shouted in panic that the mutineers who joined the Na Wa Ta were being killed by the Na
Wa Ta military, two each day.

      Col Law Wah Di, however, ordered on 31 December an attack on the mutineers of the

-6-

102nd Battalion. Units of the DKBA, since 26 December 1994, had moved to Myintabyay from
Myainggyingu and taken up positions. KNU (Central) officially sent out a despatch one minute
before mid-night or at 11:59 pm on 31 December 1994 designating DKBO as the enemy. In fact,
KNU had regarded Buddhist yebaws as enemies even before the emergence of the DKBO, and
attacked them.

      Wireless chief Khe Ni shouted into all wireless sets: "I can no longer tolerate them. We
should not allow Christians to be eliminated".
          "I've heard that they have held many of our leaders. So, we have to make a move in the
entire Kawthoolei State. All of you note this date in your diary. Let the public know. How could
they manage to launch an attack on Manerplaw with a mere force of about 30 of their men? We
can face them easily. The enemies could not capture even our Htwi Pha Si Kyo, could they? All of
you realize this".

       As KNU and DKBO were ready to go to a decisive battle, ABSDF (Central) led by Dr.
Naing Aung announced that it had designated the Buddhist organization as its enemy. Lt-Gen
Tamla Baw immediately sent for Brig-Gen Htain Maung and Lt-Col Johnny, men of combat.

          "Is Johnny on the mike? The Brigade Commander will talk to him".
          "I'm on the line, Bogyoke".
          "I don't have all my men. Some have not arrived back yet".
          "Johnny, my man, I have run out of men. I have sent them all to Manerplaw. You'd better
recruit the civilians immediately on your side. Call in without fail all the civilians of whatever
village or whatever refugee camp and make them handle the guns. Then only will we have a
breather. By the way, where is Htoo Kyaw?..."
          "He is somewhere around regrouping scattered men".
          "Bring an 82 when you come".
          "Yes, Sir".

      Beginning 12:15 pm on 3 January 1995, KNUs directed heavy weapons fire at
Thumwehta from the Hsinbya Hill. Before 4:30 in the evening , 26 shells of heavy weapons fell
into Thumwehta followed by big explosions. KNU (Central) no longer concealed the  news about
DKBO and instead made allegations in its news release. It launched an extensive propaganda
campaign that Christians were being killed.

     Those who rose against Manerplaw in connection with sacrilegious acts against
Myainggyingu Sayadaw were WO Kyaw Than, WO Pha Mee, WO Pha Nway and about 20
armed men. WO Pha Mee was killed in the initial battles. DKBO at present is not about 20. Its
strength has risen fifty fold to about 1,000. The number will be doubled shortly.

     Engagements were inevitable. Beginning 3 January 1995, the sound of heavy weapons
reverberated in the Manerplaw area. The New Year will have to pass through ugly incidents on
the way to peace.