KNU Statement on Gas Pipeline

The KNU is not opposed to the idea of a gas pipeline crossing through
Karen and Mon territory.  What the KNU is opposed to is the human rights
abuses which SLORC has committed in the process of clearing the land to
construct the pipeline.  Not only have people been forced to work as
slave laborers, but also people have been forcibly removed from their
villages.  Furthermore, the pipeline will only benefit SLORC while the
rest of the citizens of Burma continue to suffer.  Once the pipeline is
completed and revenues start flowing in, SLORC will have yet more money
to use in oppressing the people.  Prospects for democracy will become
even dimmer as SLORC's ability to suppress dissent increases.

If there were a democratic government in Burma, we would support the
pipeline project.  We too want to build a stronger economy in Burma in
order to improve the standard of living for all residents of Burma.
However, we cannot support any projects promoted by an oppressive
dictatorship such as SLORC.  Once SLORC has fallen, we look forward to
working with democratically elected leaders in Burma to create a more
prosperous and peaceful society.  Until then, we must continue to resist.

- KNU Representative, Thailand