BurmaNet News: February 18, 1995

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 19:32:17 -0800

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
The BurmaNet News: Saturday, February 18, 1995
Issue #111

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

               This KNU fiction survived because of the
               substantial help they received from some
               well-funded NGO's and the two english-language
               newspapers in Bangkok...The Myanmar Government
               urges some of the media to be more balanced and
               objective in their reports.
                    SLORC <SEE SCB: MANY KAYINS(KAREN) RETURNING
                    TO MYANMAR

Contents:

**********************INSIDE BURMA****************************
1 FEER: 'MUNG BEAN CURRENCY NEEDS REFORM'
2 MNA: MAUNG AUNG ARRIVED YANGON ON 7.2.95
3 UN: ASSISTANT SECRETARY-GENERAL DE SOTO RETURNS FROM YANGON
     FOLLOWING TALKS WITH GOVERNMENT OF MYANMAR

********************AUNG SAN SUU KYI**************************
4 SCB: "NOSTALGIA FOR GENERAL AUNG SAN" [SLORCITE]
5 SCB: SCB: MYANMAR AND AUNG SAN SU KYI [SLORCITE, WITH REBUTTAL]

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
6 UPI: BURMESE ATTACK COULD DOOM INDEPENDENCE STRUGGLE
7 SEASIA-L: KAWMOORA OFFENSIVE
8 SCB: MANY KAYINS(KAREN) RETURNING TO MYANMAR [SLORCITE]
9 GOA: FALL OF MANERPLAW

***********************THAILAND*******************************
10 NCGUB-BKK: WELCOMES STATEMENT TO MR. SUTHIN'S CONSIDERATION ON
     THAI POLICY TOWARDS RANGOON

**********************INTERNATIONAL***************************
11 BSG-N: BURMA - THE FORGOTTEN CONFLICT
12 SCB: BURMESE INTERNET ACCESS
13 BCN: LIST OF FILMS ON BURMA [REPOST]
14 BPF: SUPPLIERS AND USERS OF INFORMATION ON BURMA [REPOST]

The BurmaNet News is an      *********************************
electronic newspaper         *                  Iti          *
covering Burma.  Articles    *                 snotpo        *
from newspapers, magazines,  *             werthatcor        *
newsletters, the wire        *            ruptsbutfea        *
services and the Internet as *           r.Fearoflos         *
well as original material    *          ingpowercor          *
are published.               *       ruptsthosewhoare        *
The BurmaNet News  is        *     subjecttoit...Theef       *
e-mailed  directly to        *     fortnecessarytoremain     *
subscribers  and  is         *   uncorruptedinanenvironm     *
also  distributed via        *  entwherefearisanintegralpar  *
the soc.culture.burma        *   tofeverydayexistenceisnoti  *
and seasia-l mailing         *     mmediatelyapparentto      *
lists and is also            *       thosefortunate         *
available via the            *       enoughtolivein          *
reg.burma conference on      *        statesgovern           *
the APC networks.  For a     *         edbytherule           *
free subscription to         *         oflaw...fear          *
the BurmaNet News, send      *          is ahab  it.         *
an e-mail message to:        *                 Iam           *
                             *                   no          *
 burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx        *                  taf          *
                             *                   ra          *
Subscriptions are handled    *                  id.          *
manually so please allow     *                  Aun          *
for a delay before your      *                  gSa          *
request is fielded.          *                  nS           *
Letters  to  the  editor,    *                   uu          *
comments or contributions    *                   Ky          *
of articles should be        *                   i.          *
of  articles  should  be     *********************************
sent to the editor at: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

In Washington:

  Attention to BurmaNet
  c/o National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB)
  Information Office
  815 15th Street NW, Suite 609
  Washington D.C. 20005
  Tel: (202) 393-7342, Fax: (202) 393-7343

In Bangkok:
  Attention to BurmaNet
  c/o Burma Issues
  PO Box 1076, Silom Post Office
  Bangkok 10504 Thailand
  Tel/Fax: (in Thailand) (66)(2) 234-6674

[The NCGUB is the government-in-exile, made up of the people who
won the election in 1990.  Burma Issues is a Bangkok-based non-
governmental organization that documents human rights conditions
in Burma and maintains an archive of Burma-related documents.
Views expressed in The BurmaNet News do not necessarily reflect
those of either NCGUB or Burma Issues]

**************THE BURMANET NEWS--FEBRUARY 18, 1995************

**********************INSIDE BURMA****************************
FEER: 'MUNG BEAN CURRENCY NEEDS REFORM'
(part of FEER cover story 'Catching the Wave')

Far Eastern Economic Review     February 16, 1995.
By Michael Vatikiotis in Rangoon.

        The chaotic scene at Myanmar Foreign Trade Bank in
Rangoon at closing time speaks volumes about Burma's currency
system. Customer's wave paper forms to get the attention of the
harassed clerks who must hand-process each document because the
bank lacks computers. But on the street outside the bank,
blackmarket dealers quickly buy and sell kyat.
        It's not just the speed of these transactions that
frustrates bank customers. At the official rate of 6.2 kyats  to
the U.S. dollar versus 110-120 kyats on the black market, Burma's
failure both to devalue its currency and make it fully
convertible into other currencies has become a major obstacle to
foreign investment, trade and overall economic growth.
The government fears devaluation will raise prices and push up
inflation. Finance Minister U Tin Win summarizes how the
government sees it: "Adjust the [exchange] rate and risk massive
unemployment, runaway inflation and social unrest," he says,"or
keep the differentiation and risk slower growth and less foreign
investment."
        Investors regard the system as unworkable for most major
projects. "You can't expect to see serious investment in Burma
with two exchange rates," says a Thai businessman in Rangoon.
        For example, if a foreign investor wanted to set up a
50:50 joint venture in a $10 million project, the Burmese partner
would contribute 62 million kyat at the official exchange rat. At
the market rate, however, he would have to contribute 1.1 billion
kyat.
        What's more, while it's possible to buy anything with
dollars, it's illega to convert those dollars into kyat or vice
versa at anything other than the official rate. Problem is, the
government doesn't have the foreign exchange to convert kyat into
dollars. Foreign-exchange reserves were estimated at $137 million
in 1992.
        Officials contend that the parallel exchange rate isn't a
problem. It's not an obstacle to investors because they can do
all their business here in dollars," says U Hla Thein, director
of the Myanmar Foreign Trade Bank.
        That's true if investors are exporting from Burma. But
for companies like Pepsi-Co, which earn revenue in kyat, it's
become a major headache. Pepsi's solution: it uses its kyat
profits to buy agricultural commodities like mung beans and then
sell them abroad for hard currency.
        Partly as a result of this trade, Burma's exports of
beans and pulses rose by 63% to $125 million in the year to March
1994.
         Rangoon insists the system will do for now and, indeed,
officials quietly encourage investors to exploit the blackmarket.
Business travellers, for instance, no longer have to exchange
$300 into kyat at the official rate on arrival.
        To delay the inevitable devaluation and make its currency
convertible, Burma introduced a dual currency system two years
ago that uses foreign-exchange certificates pegged to the U.S.
dollar. Originally intended for tourists, the certificates now
are used for a number of transactions---including wages paid by
some foreign enterprises. "What they're doing is turning a blind
eye to the use of the U.S. dollar at market rates," says a
foreign banker in Rangoon.
        U Set Maung, the government's financial adviser, says the
system already amounts to a "de facto devaluation." He says the
official rate has little impact because Burmese can keep
foreign-exchange accounts if they are licensed exporters, buy
foreign goods with dollars and use foreign-exchage certificates.
        Government officials worry about how devaluation and the
elimination of subsidies will affect fixed-salary
earners---expecially those on government payrolls--- and state
enterprises. If state enterprises were to pay for imports at the
market rate, the government would have to raise prices. "We want
to avoid speculation and panic-buying," says U Set Maung.
        Just how much impact devaluation will have remains
unclear. Some local observers says market pricing--- for domestic
goods and imports--- is already so prevalent that any impact will
be minimal.
         But others argue devaluation will hit Burma hard.
Imports of  $1.2 billion last year represent a significant
portion of GNP. (GNP in fiscal 1994 amounted to less than $ 10
billion--- and that's using the overvalued exchange rate.)
        Some economists advocate a partial devaluation. Bringing
the currency down to 65kyats to the U.S. dollar will restore
confidence, they argue.         But without the backing of
multilateral institutions like the World Bank and the IMF, the
government says investors will have to wait for another two years
before the private sector is large enough and foreign-exchange
reserves strong enough to devalue the currency. In August,
Finance Minister U Tin Win estimated  $2-3 billion in standby
credits will be needed to cushion the impact and help pay for
subsidies.
        Mya Than, an economist at the Singapore's Institute of
Southeast Asian Studies, agrees currency reform won't happen
anytime soon. "They will carry on one or two years with the
parallel exchange rate," he says, and " at the same time they
will speed up the privatization process."

**********************INSIDE BURMA****************************
MNA: MAUNG AUNG ARRIVED YANGON ON 7.2.95
Posted by bbatpt@xxxxxxxx

        Maung Aung , Son of the former premier U Nu, arrived
Yangon on 7.2.95 , to see his ailing father. At present, he is
overwhelmed with meeting his families, relatives , whom he hasn't
seem for long time and paying homage to the Pagoda in Yangon and
its neighbouring.
         The State Law and Order Restoration Council granted
permission at the request made by U Nu to the leaders, for him
to come back to his home country, Myanmar. Maung Aung was  an
anti-government activist, responsible as the  president of the
so-called ADSB (Alliance for Democratic  Solidarity, Union of
Burma) , which taking activities and based at the Thai-Myanmar
border.(Myanmar News Agency)

**********************INSIDE BURMA****************************
UN: ASSISTANT SECRETARY-GENERAL DE SOTO RETURNS FROM YANGON
     FOLLOWING TALKS WITH GOVERNMENT OF MYANMAR

13 February

     The following statement was issued by the Spokesman for
Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali:

     The Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs,
Alvaro de Soto, returned this weekend following his visit to
Yangon as the Secretary-General's representative in talks with
the Government of Myanmar concerning human rights, relations with
the political opposition and the policy of reconciliation with
the national races.  This mission was carried out pursuant to
General Assembly resolution 49/197.

     During his visit, Mr. de Soto met with Secretary-1 of the
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC),
Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt; and Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw,
as well as with the Chief Justice and Chairman of the Convening
Committee of the National Convention, U Aung Toe, and the
Attorney General and Vice-Chairman of the Convening Committee, U
Tha Tun..
     Mr. de Soto has reported to the Secretary-General.  The
Secretary-General is to submit a report shortly to the Commission
on Human Rights.  Discussions will continue when the Foreign
Minister visits New York in the spring.

********************AUNG SAN SUU KYI**************************
SCB: "NOSTALGIA FOR GENERAL AUNG SAN" [SLORCITE]
Posted by bbatpt@xxxxxxxx on soc.culture.burma

[This posting has been attributed to Tawatchai Pattarawongvisut
and it may be from his account.  Tawatchai however, is a Thai
name (and his account is in Thailand), but the author claims to
be a Burmese citizen.---Strider]

NOSTALGIA FOR GENERAL AUNG SAN

        The Constitution of 1947 .Section 74(1) (a) stated as
follows:-
         74(1) The following person or persons should not stand
for election as a member of parliament or allowed to be a member
of parliament .
             (a) A person who has taken an oath of allegiance to
a foreign government or is a subject of a government or is a
citizen of the said government or is entitled to rights and
benefits of a subject of that government or a citizen of that
government.
        In short I understand that according to the sanction
above, those who have the right to enjoy the rights and benefits
from foreign governmental organizations and foreigners (having
only the right ) shall not be permitted to stand for elections as
a member of parliament . I genuinely admit that I had never
understood why it had been as such, because I am a 40 year old
ordinary national of Myanmar . I have never known a felling of a
slave under an imperialist power. I have not participated
personally in the defence of the country with patriotism and with
life , blood and sweat; with a view of defending the loss of the
independence of the country. I am sure that officials, merchants,
students, intelligentsia and people from all walks of life, of my
age would fell the same with me . I think the older patriotic
people who had witnessed the struggle for independence would have
understood and accepted it well. I also think that those who have
no patriotism though older may not understand .
        The fact that I had never understood has now been made
clear to me by the foreign media. Since 23-1-94 I have heard
various foreign media continuously broadcasting about the
statement made at Bangkok by one Michael Aris a British national
(a foreigner), the husband of Daw Aung San Su Kyi after visiting
her on his way home to the United Kingdom.         It is clear
that the Daw Aung San Su Kyi is relying on her foreign husband in
doing politics.
        Michael Aris who is a British national is interfering in
the internal affairs of our country using his wife as a front.
    I do understand that permitting Michael Aris to Myanmar to
see his wife was in fact solely given as a personal favour by the
authority concern.
        When foreigners as such openly interfere in the internal
affairs of our country, the patriotic feeling in our blood heats
up and we feel indignant about the matter.
        Having married to a Myanmar lady., a daughter of a
General, Michael Aris working hand in hand with foreign
organizations acted as a "conman " and managed to obtain various
prizes, he must now be a dollar millionaire.
        We do not mind him being a "conman" and becoming rich,
but we cannot accept him in interfering with the internal affairs
of our country.
         Even at this stage as a Myanmar lady married to a
foreigner has sought help, moral support, indirectly receiving
money / prizes from foreign nationals and foreign organizations,
if she were to participate in the administrative power and the
legislative power of the country I am sure that Myanmar could
again become slaves through modern technique.
         Now only I fully understand why our national leader
General Aung San and other national leaders and political leaders
with their esteem wisdom had drafted section 74(1) (a) and I do
salute them.
         National leader General Aung San, where ever you may be.
Please reprimand your daughter.

With patriotism,
      M-T-L
 Domi-Foodstuff Enterprise
(All those with patriotism please pass it on and make copies.)

********************AUNG SAN SUU KYI**************************
SCB: MYANMAR AND AUNG SAN SU KYI [SLORCITE, WITH REBUTTAL]
bbatpt  soc.culture.burma        9:18 AM  Feb 11, 1995
(at au.ac.th)   (From News system)

Myanmar and Daw Aung San Su Kyi
        I am delighted to read the article "Myanmar and Aung San
Su Kyi " Tun Shwe.
        It is true that a group of people from the United Nation,
from the State Department and from Japan are lobbying for Daw
Aung San Su Kyi on the basis of a Noble Peace Prize winner. In
fact I have not seen or known that she had ever said or done any
deed or acts to gain a Nobel Peace Prize. Does she deserve a
Noble Peace Prize for taking the opportunity at the time when the
political situation in Myanmar was unstable, to grab power for
her personal gain? Should a person who had first entered into
politics by joining hands with terrorists, murderers who have
murdered many people by bombing and ex-convicts, deserve a Nobel
Peace Prize?
         Does she deserve a Nobel Peace Prize for instigating the
youths of Myanmar to defy the laws of the government and to
demonstrate and created upheaval in the country? Should she have
received a Nobel Peace Prize trying to gain power in Myanmar by
taking advantage of the fact that the people have shown their
interest in her because she happened to be a daughter of the
National Leader General Aung San?
        Those who are cursing Tun Shwe ! Can you point out any
act or movement or talks or written works by Daw Aung San Su Kyi
that would justify the gaining of the Nobel Peace Prize? I mean
those said or done before receiving the Nobel peace Prize but not
" the talk big" act after receiving the prize.
        The fact is that British National , Michael Aris and his
cronies have travelled around the world and had used Aung San Su
Kyi as a front in deceiving others in order to gain benefit from
Myanmar.
        Those who believe such acts of deception should be
ashamed of themselves.

U Aye Maung

(  a Lawyer )

Myanmar

RESPONSE TO "MYANMAR AND AUNG SAN SU KYI"
Response  1 of  3
aivanya
soc.culture.burma       11:35 AM  Feb 12, 1995
(at ix.netcom.com)      (From News system)

Aye Maung  & Tun Shwe

        It is no wonder that because of  sycophants and
treacherous mercenaries like you, Burma and its people are still
suffering under the oppressive military junta called SLORC.

     Daw Aung San Su Kyi richly deserves the Noble Peace Prize
because of  her enormous courage and determination in standing up
against Ne Win & SLORC, one of the most ruthless, corrupt,
malevolent, sinister, and morally bankrupt thugs in the history
of mankind.

        How dare you insult the intelligence and sincerity of the
Burmese people, by accusing  them of supporting DASSK  because
she is the daughter of General Aung San?

        Since gaining power in 1962, Ne Win & his hired guns have
treated the Burmese people in total disdain, ramming down their
throats ridiculous schemes like BSPP etc. The upper echelon of
Burmese Army is populated by jealous, narrow-minded, racist,
false patriots. Do not delude yourselves after ruining the
country, and shedding so much innocent blood,that you could
transform Burma  into a prosperous but authoritarian country
controlled by the military. SLORC has only one real agenda and
that is self-preservation.

              How come you are so eager to slander DASSK and
spread malicious canards against her husband, but totally
unwilling to discuss the ugly record of Ne Win and his successive
military regimes???
             Tun Shwe, Aye Maung & the rest of you, if you are
true patriots as you claim to be, stop being BALL BEARERS (BAW
MA) of Ne Win & SLORC, and start planning to become PALL BEARERS
and grave diggers at their FUNERAL.

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
UPI: BURMESE ATTACK COULD DOOM INDEPENDENCE STRUGGLE
By JOHN HAIL
   BANGKOK, Feb. 8 (UPI) -- Burmese artillery and mortar shells
pounded the last major base of the ethnic Karen resistance
Wednesday in an offensive military analysts said could bring the
rebels' 47-year independence struggle to an end.
   Provincial officials monitoring the fighting in Burma said
they counted more than 600 explosions in the Karen base of
Kawmoora, opposite the Thai border town of Mae Sot, located some
240 miles (386 km) northwest of Bangkok, in the past two days.
   They said about 25 shells landed on the Thai side of the
border, which is only 545 yards (500 m) from Kawmoora, prompting
Thai gunners to retaliate Wednesday with several salvos of
artillery and mortar fire into Burma to warn the attackers.
   Thai military officers said a final Burmese infantry assault
on the battered Karen base could come at any time.
   The Karen, many of whom were converted to Christianity in the
late 19th century by American Baptist missionaries, have been in
almost continuous revolt against Rangoon since Burma won
independence from Great Britain in 1948.
   "The Burmese government has almost finished consolidating," a
senior Thai military officer told United Press International. "If
they take Kawmoora the Karen will be finished."
   The Burmese, armed with newly purchased Chinese AK-47 assault
rifles, heavy artillery and other weapons, captured the Karens'
self-proclaimed "capital" of Manerplaw on Jan. 27.
   Manerplaw had been the headquarters of the rebel Karen
National Union for the past 21 years as well as the main
"liberated area" of Burma's pro-democracy forces since the
current military junta seized control in Rangoon in 1988.
   The junta, known as the State Law and Order Restoration
Council (SLORC), has consolidated its grip on the country by
negotiating cease- fires with several rebel groups and attacking
others militarily.
   United Nations officials said the Burmese offensive has forced
about 10,000 Karen refugees to flee into Thailand, in addition to
about 60,000 Karen who have fled previous attacks.
   The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees representative in
Thailand, Ruprecht Von Arnim, said the Thai army was providing
food, medicine and shelter to the latest wave of refugees.
   He said between 1,500 and 2,000 Karen were returned to Burma
voluntarily earlier this week in an area where fighting had died
down.    Karen National Union representatives said that since the
fall of Manerplaw their forces had split into small guerrilla
units to carry out hit-and-run attacks on the Burmese.
   But analysts said that without funds from cross-border taxes
and aid from Christian supporters the Karen insurgency seemed
hopeless.    "The Karen are just trying to hang on," the senior
Thai military officer said. "They have been pushed out of their
land into Thailand. Next (the SLORC) will turn their attention to
Khun Sa."
   With the Karen resistance shattered, the only major rebel
force opposing the junta is the 20,000-strong Muang Tai Army, led
by the infamous Shan "opium warlord" Khun Sa.
   Khun Sa admits he derives most of his income from taxing opium
caravans and heroin refineries in Burma's Shan State, but denies
direct involvement in narcotics trafficking.
   "Khun Sa will be more difficult to defeat," the Thai officer
said. "He relies on his own weapons and his own opium."

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 12:45:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Kawmoora Offensive

The Burmese (SLORC) troops normally use Thai soil when they
attack the KNU or the Mons or the Karanni.  I had a bitter
experience in 1989 when the Kawmoora camp was attacked by the
Burmese troops. At the time I was acting as the chairman of the
All Burma Students' democratic front and visited the Kawmoora to
encourage the students who were fighting along with the KNU ,
Arakanese, Kachins and Pao troops against the SLORC intruding
offensive.
        We intercepted the enemy tranmission line and found out
that about 300 Burmese troops were crossing the Moei river to the
Thai side and planned to attack from the front line and from the
Thai side. As a counter measure the KNU commondos and the
Students crossed the river and guarded the Thai side to prevent
this two pronged attack. Unfortunately, the Thai border guards
arrived and told us that we have no right to use Thai soil, if
KNU or SLORC troops cross the border they will fight both troops.
They promised us if SLORC used their soil they would not hesitate
to force them out of Thailand, initially  using an air attack to
bomb the intruders.  We went back to our Kawmoora base, hoping
that the Thai would keep their promise.  But at dawn our camp was
attacked from  both the front line and the Thai side.  The enemy
were taking a position from the Thai market opposite from
Kawmoora.  We were waiting for the Thai army to attack the SLORC
but in reality The Thai army retreated two kilometers away and
watched. One Thai army plane circled  around our camp but there
was no air attack as they had promised us.  The KNU sent the best
commandos without hesitation and attacked the SLORC troops who
were stationed in the Thai market place. Luckily we won the
battle, killing 70 enemy soldiers while on our side we lost our 3
best commandos.
        The Colnel who lead the Burmese troops fled to the Thai
Army and begged for help.  He was later escorted by the Thai Army
back to Myawaddy.
         My main concern about this accident is the fact that the
Thai  Army allowed the Burmese Army to attack us. I believe that
the Thai Army had a vested interest in allowing this attack to
occur. The Thai General Chavalit Younchaiyu made a deal with the
Burmese General Saw Maung providing General Chavalit Younchaiyu
with Burmese logging rights. When the conflict occurred it was in
General Chavilit's best interests to allow the Burmese Army to
attack without interference from the Thai military. General
Chavalit resigned his position in the military and is currently
the Interior Minister for the Thai government. In this new
position he has gained wealth and prestige due to the logging and
fishing rights he acquired in Burma; as a result he continues to
favor the SLORC.
        I am worried that the KNU leaders, including General Bo
Mya, are under the Thai Army's control and that the KNU are not
allowed to go anywhere without the Thai Army's permission. I
would like the international community to pressure Thailand into
not supporting the SLORC.

Additionally I would like Thailand to allow the KNU leaders and
the ABSDF students to have entrance into Burma from whatever
border area that these two groups choose. Lastly, I believe that
the Thai government should allow the NGO's to help the refugees
who have fled from the fighting without any interference or
disturbances.

Htun Aung Gyaw
Graduate student of Asian Studies, Cornell Unerversity

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
SCB: MANY KAYINS(KAREN) RETURNING TO MYANMAR [SLORCITE]
bbatpt  soc.culture.burma        3:59 PM  Feb  8, 1995
(at au.ac.th)   (From News system)

4165 Kayins have returned to Myanmar from Thailand within the
last week, and more are returning each day. Local authorities and
Union Solidarity and Development Association (USDA) are providing
them with food, clothing and other necessities, and assisting to
settle them in villages in Kayin State.

2. They scattered to avoid the fighting when about 4000 mutineers
of the KNU formed the Democratic Kayin Buddhist Army and captured
the KNU HQ at Manerplaw on 27.1.95 .Among the mutineers are many
Kayin Christians also. Both Buddhist and Christian Kayin Majority
of the KNU have had enough of the leadership and luxurious
life-style of former leader Bo Mya and his relatives who have
many houses and business interests in Thailand .

3. Bo Mya and his clique failed to resolve the recent KNU mutiny
because many remember too well the Bawtharaw execution in 1971.
Then , Bo Mya personally shot and bayoneted the 10 Kayin leaders
of a faction who came to Bawtharaw village for reconciliation.
The Myanmar government has photos and documentary evidence. Some
years later Bo Mya's KNU also murdered Bo Let Ya and other
leaders of U Nu's group who were in alliance then with the KNU.
That movement also collapsed. U Nu and his group returned to
Myanmar soon after.

4. Bo Mya was a cook/table-boy to a British officer in the 1930's
and served with the British special force 136 during the war
against the Japanese. He belongs to the small extreme group of
Kayins who refused to participate in democratic elections held by
the British in April 1947 to determine Burma's Democratic future.
They rebelled in 1949 against U Nu's democratic government: not
for democracy or human rights, but to establish an independent
Kayin State. They knew they had no historical or legal basis, but
naively expected some British officers to reward them for their
loyalty during World Waw II.

5. In recent years they were using the cloak of democracy and
human rights to achieve the senseless ambitions which they still
cling to.  Their underlying aim was to created chaos and
instability, and disintegration of Myanmar . This KNU fiction
survived because of the substantial help they received from some
well-funded NGO's and the two english-language newspapers in
Bangkok. They failed miserably because history and truth cannot
be supressed or ingnored forever. The Myanmar Government urge
some of the media to be more balanced and objective in their
reports.

M.T. N(7 February 1995)

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
GOA: FALL OF MANERPLAW
Government of Australia

MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS, SENATOR GARETH EVANS

                MYANMAR: FALL OF MANERPLAW
                --------------------------

The Australian Government is deeply concerned by the continuing
offensive against forces of the Karn Natioal Union (KNU) and the
fall of the KNU headquarters at Manerplaw, the Minister for
Foreign Affairs, Senator Gareth Evans, said on his return to
Australia today.  The Government regards these developments as a
blow to the process of reconciliation in Myanmar.

Since 1992, there have been some indications of progress in
negotiations between other insurgent groups and the government in
Yangon, some of which resulted in ceasefire arrangements, and
discussions were continuing. As a result, the level of military
activity had been greatly scaled down and there were prospects
for a negotiated end to most of the insurgencies. The offensive
against the Karens - while due in part to divisions within Karen
ranks - has been a retrograde step. Military offensives will not
resolve the essential political differences between the Myanmar
government and groups opposed to its policies.

Manerplaw had a significance beyond its role as a Karen base: it
was also the seat of many opposition groups and student activists
who had taken refuge there after the crushing of the democracy
movement in 1988. While the Myanmar government professed a belief
in dialogue with its political opponents, the continuing
detention of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the offensive against
Manerplaw cast serious doubt on the government's intention.

The Australian Government continues to believe ths of
national reconciliation is in the interests of all political and
ethnic groups in Myanmar. Such a process should allow Myanmar to
rejoin the political and economic mainstream of the region and
the wider international community. Australia therefore call on
the Myanmar authorities to cease all military action in the
Manerplaw area and to negotiate a complete military and political
settlement with the KNU and other groups in the area.

The fact that the fighting at Manerplaw has led to a renewed flow
of displaced people across the Myanmar-Thailand border is also of
great concern. Thailand has a good record of sheltering previous
waves of Myanmar border-crossers and Australia hopes that this
humanitarian policy will continue.

***********************THAILAND*******************************
NCGUB-BKK: WELCOMES STATEMENT TO MR. SUTHIN'S CONSIDERATION ON
     THAI POLICY TOWARDS RANGOON

1. We, National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma,
appreciate and welcome the consideration of Mr. Suthin, the
chairman of House Foreign Affairs Committee regarding Thailand's
against Burma, which he thinks should be reviewed.

2. The recent SLORC's military offensives against the KNU
headquarters and other strongholds through out Thai-Burma border
have proved that it is not only internal affairs of Burma but
also it is an obvious threat to the peace and security and
stability of the neighbouring countries.

3. Since the year 1988, when the SLORC took over the power of the
country, they always used to print and publish in State-owned
newspaper (The Working People's Daily) then and now (The New
Light of Myanmar) that their nobel desire is an early transfer of
power. Bur their current activities show a vent diverse between
their words and deeds.

4. Refusal of the respect to the result of 1990 elections, the
continued detention of the public leader, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
and its current response towards the genuine national
reconciliation and the recent military offensives against the
headquarters of democratic opposition groups and KNU have
revealed the fraus intension of SLORC.

5. Regarding the battles through Thai-Burma border and the
refugee affairs, the standing of US and Australia governments are
really very encouraging and helpful for democracy movement of
Burma.

6. We strongly believe that the Government of Thailand will
retain its tradition of good will towards the Burmese refugees.
7. At the same time we would like to say that the felling of
Burmese people is the same to Mr. Suthin Nophaket and we hope
that the Government of Thailand will review its constructive
engagement policy and will lay down an appropriate policy which
will be beneficial for both nations.

NCGUB
Headquarters
February 10th, 1995

**********************INTERNATIONAL***************************
BSG-N: BURMA - THE FORGOTTEN CONFLICT
Burma Support Group-Norway

     By Vibeche Holte, Stoettegruppa for Burma, Oslo, Norway.
While  the  Western  world is  preoccupied with  the
conflict  in Bosnia, or the Russian invasion of Chechenia, the
Burmese  people are fighting their own war against the brutal
SLORC regime.

In May 1994, some young  Norwegian and  Burmese activists
(among them some former YBF people) came together for a
weekend  seminar and formed the Burma  Support Group
("Stottegruppa for  Burma"). The   support  group   is  a
non-political  and   non-religious independent organisation whose
aims are to promote  the work  for peace and democracy in Burma.
The organisations work consists  of providing
technical,  financial  and  humanitarian  aid,   while
spreading  news  and  up  to  date documentation  on the
current situation  in  Burma.  The  costs  of  this work
are covered  by membership  fees  of  100  NKR  (US$20)  per year
and by  active fundraising. Most of the money has been donated by
the  Norwegian Department  for  Foreign  Affairs (UD)  and   the
agency   for development and co-operation (NORAD).

Activities so far

In spite of the groups short history, it  has managed  to
draw  a lot of attention to its work, mainly  through
demonstrations  and campaigns outside the Thai embassy in
Oslo.  Burma Support  Group (BSG) has arranged seminars and
conferences on the Burma conflict and  has now  a local
support group  at the  University of  Oslo (Blindern), along with
a strong branch  at the  Voss high  school where four Burmese
students  are attending  the "media  faculty" this year.

A frequent summer and autumn activity has been to hold
stands  in the  main  street  of Oslo.  In winter  more
energy  is spent  on publishing  newsletters  and  spreading out
information to  the members.  As  mentioned  before,
the  group has  a concrete  and practical aim, as well as
working  on the  information side.  The author of this
article is engaged in an  orphanage project  where
Norwegians are "adopting" young orphans from the  Karen
state  on the Thai-Burmese border. This is a long  term
project which  is very  cheap  and easy  to organise.
Members of  BSG visited  the orphanage in the summer 1994. The
people in charge  are a  former guerrilla soldier who
is Burmese  and his  wife who  is a  Karen nurse. So far
they have adopted 16 children, and the  plan is  to build a
school and two houses to lodge 50 children. The Norwegian
"adopters" pay 100 NKR per month, which is little, but
enough  to save lives in  the impoverished  country of
Burma. Another  very concrete plan is to build a small hydro
power  station along  the border  river  between  Thailand and
Burma  in  order  to   get electricity  for the
opposition movement  in the  area. We  have already had a
person down at the site, planning how to set up the project. This
pre-project was sponsored by UD.

Short background information

The country is a little bit smaller  than the  combined
areas  of Sweden  and Norway.   The  population is  today
approximately  45 million  and consists  of 16  major ethnic
groups, where  Burman comprising about three quarters of the
population is the  largest and most powerful. Buddhism is
the largest religion  (85% of  the people), but there are
also Christian and Muslim minorities.  The country is
situated in South East Asia and was  a British  colony until the
end of the 1940's. After the second  world war  Britain agreed to
grant the country independence.

General elections were held in 1947, the  party run  by Aung San
(the father of the 1991 Nobel Peace Price winner) were victorious
and formed a government. On the 19th of July,
armed and uniformed men stormed the government building  and shot
the new  political leaders.  The  person  in  charge of  the coup
was arrested  and executed  the following
year. Since  then the  country has  been plagued by civil
wars.

When  General Ne  Win came  to power  in 1962,  he abolished the
constitution and legal system and  forbid all political parties,
apart  from  his  own.  He slowly  drew Burma  into a  constantly
worsening political and economic crisis.

In the spring of l988 people were increasingly de
the situation became explosive. The students from the
universities in Rangoon (the capital) organised
demonstrations  and claimed  that the  government  had to
release their  iron grip  on power.  The opposition grew
increasingly stronger day by  day culminating  in general
strikes on the 8th  of August  1988. Ne  Win ordered  his
soldiers to halt  the demonstrators  and more  than 500
innocent people  lost their  lives in  the ensuing  riots.
Following  this incident a lot of students and intellectuals had
to flee into the jungle to hide  from SLORC.  In
September  radio programmes  were interrupted with bulletins
reporting that another coup had  taken place.  From  this
day  Burma has  been governed  by a  military regime, known as
SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council). In
February 1989  when the  situation had  deterioriated to
its lowest ever point, SLORC announced that they would hold "free
and just" elections. The  result? As  everybody knows, Aung San
Suu Kyi's party  National League  for Democracy
won an  overwhelming victory, against all odds and to the
eminent rage of the  regime. Later the same year Suu Kyi was
arrested and she  is still  being kept under house arrest in
Rangoon, since the leaders deem her to be "too dangerous"
for the country.

Situation Today.

The Burmese claim that the situation is constantly
deteriorating. Even though the regime is said to be
blatantly corrupt ( you  can get anything for US$), it has
unlimited power. In the meantime  a constant  war  rages
between  SLORC  and  the  different  ethnic minorities.

The  UN General  Assembly has  denounced the  military
regime  in Burma, but very little has been done to
pressurise the regime  to release Aung San Suu Kyi and to
restore peace and democracy. Many nations still deal with
the regime, Thailand is dependent on  the logging of
mahogony and  teak wood  in Burma,  having so  little jungle
remaining themselves, and the regime earns  good money  on drug
trafficking in the  Golden Triangle.  At the  same time the west
exports weapons to the regime knowing  they are  to be  used
against civilians, as Burma has no foreign enemies.
SLORC  is  preparing  an  enormous  public  campaign: the
"Visit Myanmar (Burma) Year 1996." Much work  is being  done to
restore the old architectional treasures but it is done by forced
labour. If you don't want to work, you have to pay a large  sum
not  to, but since nobody has this sum of
money,  they have  to slave  for the government, for only a
symbolic salary. They even have to pay for their own food
during  work! The  government expects  500,000 tourists to visit
Burma in 1996 compared to only 50,000 in 1994.

BSG  in  Norway  works to  inform travel  agencies and
potential tourists to Burma  about the real situation there.
Many multinational companies have been installed for a long time
in Rangoon, Pepsi, Shell, Toshiba, Agfa amongst many. The list is
long with firms willing to invest in a country so rich of natural
resources and with the added 'attraction' of such cheap labour.

Rumours abound that the regime has offered  to set  Ayng San Suu
Kyi free on condition is that she leave the country
immediately. In the West we have been able to see videotapes of
her talking to the  SLORC  generals. Since  we don't
know what  the talks  were about, the Burmese use these
"negotiations" as  pure PR  towards the rest of the  world. A
national convention  sponsored by  the junta has been
meeting since 1992  to draft  a new  constitution. Articles
agreed so far would effectively bar Suu Kyi from heading a
government, while guaranteeing a  dominant role  for the
armed forces for many years to come.

In the meantime there are guerrilla  wars going  on in
different areas  of  Burma.  On  Monday  the  12th of
December 1994  SLORC attacked Manerplaw and Dawngwin, where the
democratic  opposition movement  have  their
headquarters.  The  aim was  to erase  the opposition,
which for  the main  part consists  of students  and
politicians in exile and ethnic democratic groups.  The KNU (the
Christian led Karen National Union), which has been
fighting  for greater autonomy since 1949, is the dominant force
in a guerrilla alliance  that  is  seeking  a
federal,  democratic Burma.  Many civilians have lost their lives
in the struggle for independence, and the battle is
continuing. The guerrillas still hold power  in the so
called "liberated areas".

What can we do?

There are always many things one can do . Find  out whether your
country is selling weapons to Burma, if they  are,
write  protest letters demanding that this must  come to  an end.
You can  also check which companies are represented in Burma,
and tell  people to  boycott  them.  Forming  a
pressure  group, like  we have  in Norway, is fun and it
certainly leads somewhere. And don't forget Aung San Suu
Kyi, who has been imprisoned since the 20th of  July 1989! Most
essential of all: don't ever trust  the SLORC  regime, tell
tourists to  Burma that  the junta  is committing
genocide, wiping out their own ethnic people.

For more information contact:
"Stoettegruppa for Burma",
St. Olavs plass, Pb.  6906,
0130  Oslo,
Norway.

**********************INTERNATIONAL***************************
SCB: BURMESE INTERNET ACCESS
debbiew123@xxxxxxx

Does burma have internet access yet.  I was not sure if they have
the phone line capacity for this, if they can afford it, and if
they have a contract with internet.  If so, is anybody receiving
messages from Burmese friends on internet?  How is the
communication?

*****
Debbie,

  Two offices in Burma have limited Internet access that I am
aware of.  Both the U.S. Embassy and the United Nations
Development Program can send and receive email.  I believe they
are using earth terminals that communicate via an Inmarsat
satellite.  There is no real problem in communicating with either
of them except that on their end, they have extremely expensive
transmission charges (this may not apply to the U.S. Embassy
because they may use a U.S. government-owned satellite).

  Strider

**********************INTERNATIONAL***************************
BCN: LIST OF FILMS ON BURMA
Burma Centrum Nederland
(Burma Centre Netherlands)

Could anyone that knows of other films please send information
asap to The Burma Centre Netherlands? Thanks! Our email adresses:
bcn@xxxxxxxxx or gijsh@xxxxxxxxx

1
TITLE     Beyond Rangoon
DIRECTOR  John Boorman
YEAR 1995
DURATION  feature film
FORMAT    film
COLOR     yes
DISTRIBUTION
producer: Castle Rock
     335 North Maple Road
     Suite 135 Beverley Hills
     California CA 90210
     tel 310 285 2300 , fax 310 285 2345
QUALITY   high
REMARKS   First script is made in 1986. Based on the live of Aung
          San Kyi.

2
TITLE     Battle for Peace
DIRECTOR  students fled from Burma
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY   amateur
REMARKS   VHS at BAG-London

3
TITLE     Everyman: 40 million Hostages
DIRECTOR  Martin Smith
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Dispatch series
QUALITY
REMARKS   Documentary

4
TITLE     Dying for Democracy
DIRECTOR  Martin Smith
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Dispatch Series
QUALITY
REMARKS   Documentary

5
TITLE     The Burma Deception
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARKS

6
TITLE     Faces of Burma
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Burma Issues
     Postbox 1076 Silom P.O.
     Bangkok 10504
     Tel/fax 66 22346674
QUALITY
REMARKS

7
TITLE     Barefoot Students Army
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Images Asia
QUALITY
REMARKS   In 1994 broadcasted by Channel 4.  Film of two
          Australian women about the Burmese students

8
TITLE     Silence & Fear
DIRECTOR  Leon Desclozeux
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Leon Desclozeux
     Zeaux Production
     25 Reu Henry Mornier
     75009 Paris
     tel 33 1 42851333
     fax 33 1 42802935
QUALITY
REMARKS   Documentary about Aung San Suu Kyi, including speeches
          of hers

9
TITLE     working title ?
DIRECTOR  Tom Sheahan and Damian Lewis
     120 Ferndalroad, 10 Gayhurst Road
     London SW4 7SE, London E8 3EH
     Tel 071 9249290, Tel 071 2496250
YEAR in production
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   BAG London
QUALITY
REMARKS   Documentary about the oilcompany's and pipelines
10
TITLE     Burma's Railway
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION  1''30'
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Broadcasted by ABC Australia
QUALITY
REMARKS   From Rangoon to Lashio. Railway built in Second World
          War.

11
TITLE     Etat d'Urgency
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARKS   about the Second World War, focused on the Japanese

12
TITLE     Footage about Aung San Suu Kyi
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   via producer from Silence and Fear
QUALITY
REMARKS

13
TITLE     ?
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   ?
QUALITY
REMARKS   Film about Tigerhunting in Burma

14
TITLE     Lions of Fire
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARK    About Karen and Khun Sa

15
TITLE     Edge of Burma
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARKS   Broadcasted in England
     Tom will search for details

16
TITLE     The Longest Struggle
DIRECTOR  with anthropologist Tom Sheahan
YEAR 1993
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION   Granada LWT International
     Disappearing World Series
QUALITY   Broadcast quality
REMARKS   Filmed by the Karen people

17
TITLE     Who are the Karen?
DIRECTOR  made by Karen people
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARKS   Drama and popmusic??

18
TITLE     The Greening of Thailand
DIRECTOR  Edward Milner
YEAR 1989?
DURATION  52'
FORMAT    Betacam
COLOR     yes
DISTRIBUTION   TVE Distribution Zeist
QUALITY   broadcast quality
REMARKS   about logging in Thailand, approx. 5 min about logging
          in and Burma

19
TITLE     Welcome to Karenni
DIRECTOR  Margriet Jansen
YEAR 1994
DURATION  40'
FORMAT    Betacam
COLOR     yes
DISTRIBUTION   Stichting Vista Amsterdam
QUALITY   broadcast
REMARKS   About the Karenni people, filmed in refugee camps in
          Thailand, their culture and their struggle

20
TITLE     The Two Faces of Burma
DIRECTOR  Manfred van Eijk en Johan van Ommeren
YEAR 1994
DURATION  12'
FORMAT    Betacam
COLOR     yes
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY   broadcast
REMARKS   Rangoon and Pagan, the consequences of oppression in
          the everyday
          life of the Burmese people

21
TITLE     ?
DIRECTOR
YEAR
DURATION
FORMAT
COLOR
DISTRIBUTION
QUALITY
REMARKS   About the waterfestival at april 30 each year. The
          celebration of the Buddhist newyear.

22
TITLE     World at War, part of this series, probably titled the
          War in Burma
DIRECTOR  ?
YEAR ?
DURATION  60'
FORMAT
COLOR     B&W
DISTRIBUTION   BBC?
QUALITY   Good
REMARKS   About the British operations in Arakhan and Kachin
          State during
WWII. Shown by BBC on dec. 5th (TT, 20:00)

23
TITLE     Merrils Marauders
DIRECTOR  Sam Fuller
YEAR 1962
FORMAT    ?
COLOR     B&W
DISTRIBUTION   BBC?
QUALITY   good
REMARKS   Partly biographical war-ovie on genreal Frank Merril
          and his men in Burma. With Jeff Chandler.

24
TITLE     Escape to Burma
DIRECTOR  Allan Dwan
YEAR 1955
FORMAT    ?
COLOR     B&W
DISTRIBUTION   BBC?
QUALITY   good
REMARKS   Standard fifties-drama wherein Robert Ryans is a
          suspected murderer. He hides on the tea-plantation of
          Barbara Sandwyck (in Burma). Shown by BBC2, Dec 3 1994,

**********************INTERNATIONAL***************************
BPF: SUPPLIERS AND USERS OF INFORMATION ON BURMA [REPOST]
Burma Peace Foundation

This list is intended to enable people seeking or offering
information on Burma to link up. It does not try to cover the
whole of the Burma support community or the organisations
interested in Burma. Many of the groups and individuals have
specialised in terests and information which may be mentioned
where not obvious from their titles.  Please send any corrections
and additions to the Burma Peace Foundation.

Email:  darnott@xxxxxxx

NB. The Burma Peace Foundation is on the 6th Floor of 777, UN
Plaza, it is not c/o UMOUN, and the fax is 692 9748.
Communications addressed otherwise may not arrive. Please adjust
your lists.

SPECIALIST BURMA INFORMATION SUPPLIERS

Burma Issues (formerly B.U.R.M.A.), PO Box 1076, Silom Post
Office, Bangkok 10504, Thailand. Tel/Fax (+66-2) 234 6674 (The
most comprehensive Burma information service in Thailand.
Information on companies investing or interested in investing in
Burma. Publishes a monthly newsletter, Burma Issues)

Burma Alert. Harn Yawnghwe, R.R. 4, Shawville, Quebec, Canada JOX
2YO. Tel (+1-819) 647 6131; Fax 647 5403 ("Burma Alert" published
monthly. Good, systematic presentation. Especially good on
companies. Also publishes lists of prisoners and other
documents).

Burma Information Group P.O. Box 1027, Suan Phlu Post Office,
Bangkok, Thailand. Publishes The Irrawaddy twice a month, with
summaries of (mainly) local press and radio news on Burma. (BIG
is also especially good on info relating to Burmese students in
Bangkok)

Southeast Asia Information Network (SAIN)  ADDRESS HAS CHANGED

Images Asia  ADDRESS HAS CHANGED PO Box 2, Prasingha Post Office
Muang Chiangmai 50200 tel 66 53 211 282 fax 66 53 277 419

Karen Human Rights Group, Box 22, Mae Sot, Tak 63110, Thailand
(Puts out high quality human rights information including
interviews)

Burma Bro c/o S. Aung Lwin, Josephinenstr 71, 44807, Bochum,
Germany Tel (+49-234) 940 9362. (News clipping service on Burma,
plus other documentation. Publishes quarterly "Burma News
Bulletin" in German) The Bro is in the process of moving to K"ln

SPECIALISED BURMA GROUPS

THAILAND

Green November 32 P.O. Box 201, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai
50002, Thailand. (Specialises in ecological factors and foreign
companies. Publishes Mya Yadana -- latest issue on Thai/Burmese
energy projects is particularly good)

 Indigenous Womens' Development Center P.O. Box 169, Chiang Mai
University, Chiang Mai 50002, Thailand Tel/Fax (+66-53) 278 152

Burmese Relief Centre P.O. Box 48, Chiang Mai University, Chiang
Mai 50002, Thailand. Tel/fax (+66-53) 278 152 (Reliable and wide
general knowledge. Good on border conflict, notably in Karen
State)

 INDIA

Burma Student League, Delhi Office, 3, Krishna New Delhi 110011,
India

 AUSTRALIA

Australia Burma Council Amanda Zappia, 41, Ingamells St, Garran
ACT, Australia 2605 Tel (+61-6) 281 6553; Fax 281 6112

NGO Burma Forum, Alison Tate, c/o AUSTCARE, 69/71 Paramatta Rd,
Camperdown, NSW 2050, Australia Tel (+61-2) 565 9111; Fax 550
4509

 NORTH AMERICA

Burma Peace Foundation, (Working on Burma issues in the UN
context. Produces analyses and documentation on selected issues),
Free Suu Kyi, Free Burma, (Puts out a periodically updated
dossier on Aung San Suu Kyi) 6th Floor, 777, UN Plaza, NY, NY
10017, USA Tel (+1-212) 338 0048; Fax 692 9748; Email
darnott@xxxxxxx

Karuna Center, Paula Green, 49, Richardson St, Leverett, MA
01054, USA Tel (+1-413) 367 9520, Fax 773 7507 (Good on Burmese
monks)

Project Maje, Edith Mirante, 14, Dartmouth Rd, Cranford NJ 07016,
USA Tel (+1-908) 276 8494 (Long-term Burma specialist. Wide
general knowledge. Especially good on investment, ecological
devastation, non-burman ethnic groups and women's issues)

Burma Project (USA), Leslie McKim, Alan Clements, 45, Oak Rd,
Larkspur, CA 94939, USA Tel (+1-415) 381 1326, Fax 924 6101.
(Good on Buddhist monks. Has recently published a book on Burma
and narcotics)

Institute for Asian Democracy, Michele Bohana, 1518 K St NW,
Suite 410, Washington DC 20005, USA. Tel (+1-202) 737 4101, Fax
347 6825 (Good contacts with US senators and congresspeople. They
work also on Tibet and Mongolia)

Canadian Friends of Burma, Murray Thompson, 145, Spruce St, #206,
Ottawa, ONT K1R6P1, Canada Tel (+1-613) 230 0860, Fax 563 0017.
(good on companies investing in Burma)

 JAPAN

Buddhist Relief Mission, Burmese Relief Center-Japan, Ken
Kawasaki, 266-27 Ozuku-cho, Kashihara-shi, Nara-ken 634, Japan.
Tel (+81-7442) 28236, Fax 46254. (specialises on Burmese monks,
including those in prison)

International Network for Burma Relief Kyaw Tint & Htay Htay Kyi,
202 Heights Shinoda, 601 Chohai 3 Chome, Nagakute Cho, Aichi Gun,
Aichi Ken, Japan 480-11 Tel (+81-561) 638 752; Fax 638 753

 EUROPE

Association France-Birmanie, Stefan & Judith Collignon, 21, Bvd
Henri IV, Paris 75004, France. Tel (+33-1) 40 27 87 75 (home), 45
22 33 83 (office), Fax 45 22 33 77. (Publishes a quarterly and
material on Burma in French)

Burma Project, Berlin U Khin Maung Yin, Dorothee Wenner,
Silberhammer 78, 13503 Berlin, Germany. Tel/Fax (+49-30) 618
8192, Tel 431 0665 (Somewhat academically inclined. Has organised
seminars of Burma, and is currently working on the DAB/NCUB
constitution, among other things)

European-Burmese Association, Kipp Kho Lian, Hasencleverstr 27A,
22111, Hamburg, Germany Tel (+49-40) 655 6944

Burma Centre, Netherlands Irene Bloemink, Paulus Potterstr 20,
1071 DA Amsterdam, Netherlands Tel (+31-20) 671 6952; Fax 671
3513

Burma Affairs Monitor (UK) 3A, Chatto Rd, London SW11 6LJ, UK
Tel/Fax (+44-71) 924 3147 (Publishes "Burma Affairs Monitor"
quarterly)

Burma Action Group UK, Sarah Sutcliffe, Collins' Studios,
Collins' Yard, Islington Green, London N1 2XH, UK. Tel (+44-71)
359 7679 Fax 354 3987. (Publishes "Burma News" quarterly and
thematic briefing documents; good on general information.
Conducting campaign on oil companies in Burma)

Association Suisse-Birmanie Matthias Huber, Claude Schauli, c/o
Editions Olizane, 11, Rue des Vieux Grenadiers, 1205 Geneva. Tel
(+41-22) 328 5252 Fax 328 5796 (Produces material on Burma in
French)

Burma Project (Czech Republic) U Zaw Win, Harusova 1316, 14900
Praha 4, Czech REpublic Tel/Fax (+42-2) 791 8848

Norwegian Burma Council, Josefinesgate 9, 0351, Oslo, Norway Tel
(+47-22) 567 910; Fax 567 920

The Danish Burma Committee Anton Johannsen, NNF, C.F. Richs Vej
103, Postboks 79, DK-2000 Fredriksberg, Denmark Tel (?) (+45) 21
29 60 66/62 19; Fax 31 87 20 03 (Strong links with the trade
union movemnet)

HUMAN RIGHTS AND OTHER ORGANISATIONS INTERESTED IN BURMA

(Many publish reports on Burma. Some may be in need of
information)

ASIA/PACIFIC

Asian Human Rights Commission, Wong Kai Shing, 4E, 57 Peking Rd,
Kowloon, Hong Kong. Tel (+852) 368 3874; Fax 369 9895 (Active
campaigns, especially in the region)

Asian Students' Association, Steven Gan, 511 Nathan Rd, 1/F,
Kowloon, Hong Kong. Tel (+852) 388 0515, Fax 782 5535.

Jesuit Refugee Service Edie Bowles, 24/1 Soi Aree 4 (South)
Phaholyothin Rd (7) Bangkok 10400, Thailand. Tel (+66-2) 279
1817; Fax 271 3632 (Well-informed on Burmese students and events
along the Thai/Burmese border)

Medecins Sans Fronti res Gilles Delmas, 211/3 Soi Hutayana, off
Soi Suan Phlu, Sathorn Tai Rd, Bangkok 10120, Thailand. Tel
(+66-2) 287 3435; Fax 287 3436

International Network of Engaged Buddhists Information Service,
G.P.O. 1960, Bangkok, Thailand. Tel (+66-2) 437 9445; Fax 437
9450; email: ken@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Project for Ecological Recovery 77/3 Soi Nomchit, Nares Rd,
Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand Tel (+66-2) 236 1462; Fax 234
5363; E-Mail per@xxxxxxxxxxx (Ecological issues, particularly the
proposed Burmese/Thai dams on Salween and Moei)

International Rescue Committee Jennie McCann, 19 Soi 33,
Sukhumvit Rd, Bangkok 10110, Thailand Tel (+66-2) 260 2870-1; Fax
258 5653 (Information on the Karenni)

Tribal Refugee Welfare in South East Asia, C.V. Allmark, P.O. Box
215, Mirrabooka, Western Australia 6061. Tel (+61) 349 4073, 342
5729 (Especially on non-burman ethnic groups)

 NORTH AMERICA

Asiawatch, Sidney Jones, Therese Caouette, Asiawatch, 485, 5th
Avenue, NY NY 10017, USA. Tel (+1-212) 972 8400, Fax 972 0905.

Mike Jendrzejczyk, Asiawatch, 1522 K St, NW Suite 910, Washington
DC, USA Tel (+1-202) 371 6592; Fax 371 0124 (Good general
information on human rights in Burma. Publishes reports)

International Human Rights Law Group, Janelle Diller, 1601, Conn.
Ave NW, Suite 700, Washington DC 20009, USA. Tel (+1-202) 232
8500, Fax 232 6731. (Especially good on constitutional and
international law. Publishes reports)

Refugees International Mary Pack, 21, Dupont Circle NW Washington
DC 20036, USA Tel (+1-202) 828 0110; Fax 828 0819

 US Committee for Refugees, Hiram Ruiz, 1717, Massachussets Ave,
Suite 701, Washington DC 20005, USA. Tel (+1-202) 347 3507, Fax
347 3418. (General expertise, with specialised knowlege of
refugee issues)

International Center, Ginny Foote, 731, 8th St SE, Washington DC
20003, USA. Tel (+1-202) 547 3800, Fax 546 4784

Lawyers Committee for Human Rights, 330, 7th Avenue, NY NY 10001,
USA Tel (+1-212) 629 6170, Fax 967 0916; Email lchr@xxxxxxxxxxx
(Has produced several good reports on Burma)

International League for Human Rights Charles Norchi, 432, Park
Avenue South, New York, New York 10016, USA Tel (+1-212) 684
1221; Fax 684 1696 (Puts out consise, high-quality briefing
sheets on Burma, especially focussing on briefing diplomats at
the UN. Working on issues of religious intolerance, in Burma and
elsewhere))

PEN American Center, Siobhan Dowd, 568, Broadway, Suite 401, NY,
NY 10012, USA. Tel (+1-212) 334 1660, Fax 334 2181. (Freedom of
information and expression)

Greenpeace Pam Wellner, 4th Floor, 139, Townsend St, San
Francisco 94107, USA Tel (+1-415) 512 9025; Fax 512 8699

Rainforest Action Network, 490, Sansome St, Suite 700, San
Francisco CA 94111, USA Tel (+1-415) 398 4404; Fax 398 2732;
E-Mail rainforest@xxxxxxxxxxx (Ecological issues. Publishes
Action Alerts on Burma; calling for corporate withdrawal,
especially oil companies)

Coalition for Corporate Withdrawal From Burma Simon Billeness,
Franklin Research & Development Corporation 711, Atlantic Avenue,
Boston MA 02111, USA Tel (+1-617) 423 6655; Fax 482 6179 (Is
organizing shareholder resolutions at various companies involved
in Burma)

Asia Resource Center, Roger Rumpf, Kumar Ramanathan, P.O. Box
15275, Washington DC 20003, USA. Tel (+1-202) 547 1114, Fax 543
7891.

International Centre for Human Rights and Democratic Development
Carole Samdup, Peter Globensky, 63, Rue de Brsoles, Montral,
Qubec, Canada H2Y 1V7 Tel (+1-514) 283 6073; Fax 283 3792 (Has
organised various missions on Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma with
Nobel Peace Laureates)

 EUROPE

Agir ici Martial Cozette, 14, Passage Dubail, F-75010 Paris,
France. Tel (+33-1) 4035 0700; Fax 4035 0620 (North-South
pressure group. Part of the emerging campaign to get Total to
pull out of Burma)

Observatoire Geopolitique de la Drogue, Francis Christophe, Alain
Labrousse B.P. No. 190, 75463 Paris Cedex 10, France Tel (+33-1)
4036 6381. Fax 4038 1165;

 Mdicins Sans Fronti res Jean-Herv Bradol, 8, Rue St Sabin, 75544
Paris Cedex 11, France. Tel (+33-1) 40 21 29 29; Fax 48 06 68 68

Federation Internationale des Droits de l'Homme: Olivier Monange,
8, Ave Bertie Albrecht, Paris 8e, France Tel 1-4563 4570; Fax
1-4563 9392 (Particularly effective in the human rights forums in
Geneva. Is working on forced relocations)

Reporteurs sans Frontieres, Jean-Louis Donnadieu, Gil
Gonzalez-Foerster (Yves Gemain) Tel 6779 8182; Fax 6779 6080
(Freedom of information, protection of journalists)

Index on Censorship Judith Vidal-Hall, 33 Islington High St,
London N1 9LH, England Tel (+44-71) 278 2313; Fax 278 1878
(Freedom of information and expression; publishes a magazine and
reports)

Article 19, Frances D'Souza, 33 Islington High St, London N1 9LH,
England. Tel (+44-71) 278 9292; Fax 713 1356. (Specialises on
freedom of information and expression. Publishes reports)

Amnesty International, Burma Researcher, 1, Easton St, London
WC1, England Tel (+44-71) 413 5500, Fax 956 1157. (Good on
political prisoners, forced labour and human rights in general.
Effective in the human rights forums in Geneva. Publishes
reports)

International Fellowship of Reconciliation Shelley Anderson,
Spoorstraat 38, 1811 BK Alkmaar, Netherlands Tel (+31-72) 123
014; Fax 151 102

Rene Wadlow, C.P. 161, 1211 Geneva 16, Switzerland. Tel (+33-50)
047 406; Fax 047 452 (Working on Burma at the UN Human Rights
Commission and Sub-Commission)

International Commission of Jurists, Dilbur Parakh, 26, Chemin de
Joinville, CH-1216, Cointrin, Geneva, Switzerland Tel (+41-22)
788 4747; Fax 788 4880 (Good information on human rights in
Burma, with special interest in constitutional and legal issues.
Publishes reports)

Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) Ingeborg Schwarz (Human Rights)
Place du Petit Saconnex, BP 438, CH 1211 Geneva 19, Switzerland
Tel (+41-22) 734 4150; Fax 733 3141 (Particularly involved in
working for imprisoned Burmese parliamentarians, as well as
constitutional issues)

International Committee of the Red Cross Jean-Michel Monod, 19,
Ave de la Paix, CH-1202 Geneva, Switzerland Tel (+41-22) 730
2277; Fax 733 2057

International Council of Voluntary Agencies (ICVA) Delmar Blasco,
PO Box 216, 1211 Geneva 21, Switzerland. Tel (+41-22) 732 6600;
Fax 738 9904 (Did a mission and wrote a report on the
possibilities of NGO programmes in Burma)

International Peace Bureau, Colin Archer, Rue de Zurich 41, 1201,
Geneva, Switzerland. Tel 731 6429; Fax 738 9419; email
GreenNet:ipb

Commission of the Churches on International Affairs, Clement
John, 150, Route de Ferney, 1211, Geneva 20, Switzerland Tel
(+41-22) 791 6111 (check); Fax 791 0361

Swissaid, Hanspeter Finger, Case Postale CH-3000, Jubilaumstr 60,
Bern 6, Switzerland Tel (+41-31) 351 3311; Fax 351 2783

International Confederation of Free Trade Unions George Martens,
155, Boulevard Emile Jacqmain, B-1210, Brussels, Belgium Tel
(+32-2) 224 0211; Fax 218 8415, 219 7503; Email GEO2:ICFTU (Has
been active on Burma for several years, particularly in the
International Labour Organisation)

International Union of Food and Allied Workers' Associations, Dan
Gallin, 8, Rampe du Pont-Rouge, 1213, Petit Lancy, Geneva,
Switzerland. Tel (+41-22) 793 2233 (-37), Fax 793 2238. (A
long-term interest in Burma, active in the ILO and elsewhere)

International Federation of Journalists, Aidan White, Boulevard
Charlemagne 1, Bte 5, B1041, Brussels, Belgium. Tel (+32-2) 238
0942, Fax 230 3633. Email GEO2:IFJOURNALISTS (Protection of
journalists, freedim of expression. Convenes the Human Rights
Forum of the International Trade Secretariats )

International Federation of Chemical, Energy and General Workers'
Unions Victor Thorpe, Ian Graham, 109, Avenue Emile de Bco,
B-1050 Brussels, Belgium Tel (+32-2) 647 0235; Fax 648 4316 (Some
of their members are involved in oil and gas exploitation in
Burma. They are in the process of merging with the miners'
International Trade Secretariat)

International Transport Workers' Federation, David Cockroft,
133-135, Great Suffolk St, London SE1 1PD, UK. Tel (+44-71) 403
2733, Fax 357 7871; Email GEO2:ITF (Has worked particularly to
protect Burmese seamen)

 OVERSEAS BURMESE ORGANISATIONS

National Council of the Union of Burma, General Bo Mya,
President, PO Box 22, Mae Sod, Tak, Thailand

National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma Dr Sein Win
(Prime Minister) currently in exile in the USA with some of his
colleagues. Tel (+1-202) 393 7342; Fax 373 7343 NCGUB Office,
Bangkok Tel/Fax (+66-2) 591 5839

Democratic Alliance of Burma c/o Dr Em Marta, PO Box 22, Mae Sod,
Tak, Thailand

Louisa Benson, (USA rep) 708, Kingman Ave, Santa Monica, CA
90402, USA Tel (+1-310) 454 3123; Fax 459 8263

All Burma Student Democratic Front c/o Khin Than (Thailand)
Tel/Fax (+66-2) 379 6678 Dr Thaung Htun (USA) Tel (+1-202) 393
7342; Fax 373 7343

Federation of Trade Unions (Burma) c/o Maung Maung, P.O. Box
1270, GPO Bangkok 10500, Thailand Tel/Fax (+66-2) 300 0123 (in
USA on (+1-202) 393 7342; Fax 373 7343) (Particularly for labour
issues)

All Burma Student Democratic Front (Europe Office) Publishes
"Burma Focus" Democratic Voice of Burma (Broadcasts Burmese
language programmes into Burma.) PO Box 6720, St Olav's Plass,
N-0130 Oslo, Norway. Tel/Fax (+47-22) 41 41 43; Email
absdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx OF THE NON-BURMAN NATIONALITIES

Karen National Union Dr Em Marta, Arthur Shwe, PO Box 22, Mae
Sod, Tak, Thailand

Kachin Independence Organisation Seng Raw, Bangkok, Thailand Tel
(+66-2) 300 1949; Fax 300 1972

Mon New State Party Nai Shwe Kyin, GPO Box 1983, Bangkok 10501,
Thailand. Tel/Fax (+66-34) 595 080

Mon National Refugee Committee, PO Box 1, Sankhlaburi 71240,
Thailand. Tel/Fax (+66-34) 595 080)

Karenni National Progressive Party Aung Than Lay, Abel Tweed, (PO
Box 707) P.O. Box 19 Mae Hong Son 58000, Thailand. Tel (+66-53)
611 691; Fax 612 469

Pa-O People's Liberation Organization Khun Okker (Arkar
Thainurak), P.O. Box 30 Mae Hong Son 58000 Thailand Fax (+66-53)
611 303)

Shan Shan Human Rights Foundation, P.O. Box 41, Mae Hong Son,
58000, Thailand

BURMA ROUND TABLES (periodic meeting of Burma-interested groups)

Burma Meeting, Bangkok c/o Jack Dunford, CCT Tel (+66-2) 2360 211
Fax 236 7000

Burma Briefing UK c/o Ed McGovern, 18 Victoria Rd, Topsham,
Exeter EX3 0EU, Devon, England Tel (+44-392) 875 095; Fax 876 525

Burma Round Table, Washington DC c/o Mary Pack, Refugees
International, Tel (+1-202) 828 0110; Fax 828 0819

Burma Round Table, San Francisco c/o Pam Wellner, Greenpeace, 4th
Floor, 139, Townsend St, San Francisco 94107, USA Tel (+1-415)
512 9025; Fax 512 8699

Burma Round Table, Massachussetts c/o Simon Billeness, Franklin
Research & Development, 711 Atlantic Ave, Boston MA 02111, USA
Tel (+1-617) 423 6655; Fax 482 6179

Burma Round Table, New York c/o Sidney Jones, Asiawatch, 485, 5th
Avenue, New York, New York 10017. Tel (+1-212) 972 8400
(ext.290); Fax 972 0905, 687 9786

 INDIVIDUAL BURMA WATCHERS

Dr Michael Baumann, (Germany) Tel (+49-221) 43 56 60; (228) 165
705; Fax 168 6063

Josef Silverstein (Rutgers University, Dept of Political Science)
93, Overbrook Drive, Princeton New Jersey 08540, USA Tel (+1-609)
924 7654; Fax (+1-908) 932 7170

Bernard Genier (France/Geneva) (+1-41-22) 708 9070; Tel/fax
(+33-50) 350 610 (knows about the Shan and Wa)

David Steinberg, (School of Foreign Service, Georgetown
University) 6207, Goodview St, Bethesda MD 20817, USA. Tel
(+1-202) 687 8987; Fax 687 1431. Tel/Fax (+1-301) 320 3319(h)

 UNITED NATIONS

UN Secretary-General, Dr Boutros Boutros Ghali, 38th Floor, UN
Secretariat, New York, New York 10017, USA

Department of Political Affairs Francesc Vendrell, 32nd Floor, UN
Secretariat, New York, New York 10017, USA Tel (+1-212) 963 5122;
Fax 963 1395

Department of Humanitarian Affairs Linda Hazou, 36th Floor, , UN
Secretariat, New York, New York 10017, USA Tel (+1-212) 963 4632;
Fax 963 9489

UN Development Program (UNDP) Shanti Balloo, East Asia Division,
One UN Plaza, NY, NY 10017, USA Tel (+1-212) 906 5829; Fax 906
5825

United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) 154 Rue de
Lausanne, CH 1202, Geneva, Switzerland Patrick de Souza (Western
border) Tel (+41-22) 739 8195 Mr C.G. Lennart Hansson (Eastern
border) Tel (+41-22) 739 8695

International Labour Organisation Lee Swepston, Tel (+41-22) 799
7151; Fax 798 8685

UN International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) Nobuko Horibe,
UNDCP, PO Box 500, Vienna International Centre, A-1400, Vienna,
Austria Tel (+43-1) 21131 4011; Fax (+43-1) 230 7002

 UN Human Rights Special Procedures System

Special Rapporteurs on:

* Myanmar * Extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions *
Torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or
punishment * Religious Intolerance * The sale of children, child
prostitution and child pornography * Contemporary forms of
racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance
* Freedom of opinion and expression * Violence against women *
Internally displaced persons * Independence of the judiciary *
Use of mercenaries as a means of impeding the exercise of the
right of peoples to self- determination

Chairmen of:

* The Working Group on Arbitrary Detention; * The Working Group
on enforced or involuntary disappearences

Communications for all of these c/o UN Centre for Human Rights,
Palais des Nations, CH-1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland. Fax (+41-22)
917 0123

 GOVERNMENTS

State Law and Order Restoration Council Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt,
Ministry of Defence, Signal Pagoda Rd, Yangon, Myanmar

Ministre des Affaires trangres (France) Quai d'Orsay, Paris,
France M. Claude Blanche-Maison Tel (+33-1) 4753 4600; Fax 4753
4644 Chantal de Bourmont Tel (+33-1) 4753 4630; Fax 4753 4644

French Mission to the UN (Geneva) Batrice Le Fraper Tel (+41-22)
758 9111; Fax 758 2449 (France is the main drafter of the Burma
resolution at the Commission on Human Rights, which meets every
yearin Geneva throughout February and the first part of March)

Swedish Mission to the UN (New York) Ulla Str m, 885, 2nd Avenue,
NY, NY 10017-2201, USA Tel (+1-212) 751 5900 (ext. 3205; Fax 832
0389 (Sweden is the main drafter of the Burma Resolution at the
UN General Assembly w hich meets in New York from September to
December every year)

UK Mission to the UN Rob Vaughn Fenn, 885, 2nd Avenue, 28th
Floor,  NY, NY 10017-2201, USA Tel (+1-212) 745 9366; Fax 745
9316

Foreign and Commonwealth Office (UK) Carole Robson Tel (+44-71)
270 2449

UK Mission to the UN (Geneva) Tel (+41-22) 734 3804; Fax 734 5254

US National Security Council, Eric Schwartz, NSC, White House,
Washington DC 20506, USA Tel (+1-202) 395 3736. fax 395 1199

US State Department (East Asia and Pacific) John Finney, Room
4312 Dept of State, 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520, USA Tel
(+1-202) 647 7108; Fax 647 6820

Bruce Malkin, Rm 5313, Dept of State, 2201 C St NW, Washington DC
20520, USA Tel (+1-202) 647 2722; Fax 647 7388

US State Department (Human Rights) John Shattuck, Room 7802, Dept
of State, 2201 C St NW, Washington DC 20520, USA Tel (+1-202) 647
2126; Fax 647 9519

European Commission Balthasar A. Benz Directorate-General 1, Rue
de la Loi 200, B-1049 Brussels, Belgium Tel (+32-2) 299 0677, 296
2971; Fax 299 1061 (Thailand and Burma Desk Officer)

European Parliament Rue Belliard 97-113, 1047 Brussels, Belgium

Lydia L. van de Fliert, Tel (+32-2) 284 5297; Fax 284 9297
(Assistant to Ken Coates -- Socialist Group -- Chair of European
Parliament Hum an Rights Group)

Dick Gupwell Tel (+32-2) 284 3065; Fax 284 3068 (Socialist Group)

Richard Moore, Tel (+32-2) 284 2077, 2767 (Assistant); Fax 284
230 2485 (Liberal Group; knows more about Burma than anyone else
in the Parliament)

Sabine Meyer Tel (+32-2) 284 3353; Fax 284 9141 (Green Group;
specialises on development issues. Possesses the best- arranged
Bu rma files in the European Parliament )

 PUBLICATIONS, WIRE SERVICES ETC

Reuters, IPS, AFP, UPI etc cover Burma. The Daily Reports,
published by the US Govt. Foreign Broadcast Information Service
(FBIS) are good on political and military information, while the
BBC's Summary of World Broadcasts (SWB) tends to have better
econo mic and company material.

The Far Eastern Economic Review, the Bangkok Post and The Nation
(Bangkok) frequently carry news and articles about Burma. The New
Light of Myanmar, published in Rangoon (from Burmese embassies,
or by subscription), is an important source of information,
particularly on foreign companies interested in investing in
Burma.

Kiscadale Publications, Murray House, Main Street, Gartmore,
Stirlingshire, FK8 3RJ, Scotland/U.K. Tel (+44-8) 772 776; Fax
772 778 publishes books on Burma

Le Mekong, Jean-Christophe Mikhailoff, 129 bis Bvd Murat, 7516,
Paris, Tel (+33-1) 4050 1565

 NB the Internet/PeaceNet conference REG.BURMA

This already has several hundred news stories, articles etc on
Burma. It is also a place to request information, publicise Burma
events, campaign on Suu Kyi and contact others. For further
information contact:

Email strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

Please send corrections and additions to this dossier to:

Burma Peace Foundation, 6th Floor, 777, UN Plaza, NY, NY 10017,
USA

Tel (+1-212) 338 0048; Fax 692 9748; Email darnott@xxxxxxx

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:
 ABSDF: ALL BURMA STUDENT'S DEMOCRATIC FRONT
 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 AWSJ: ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt.3 DUS$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BI: BURMA ISSUES
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
 IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 KNU: KAREN NATIONAL UNION
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; UP TO 150 KYAT-US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   106 KYAT US$1-SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT-US$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 MNA: MYANMAR NEWS AGENCY (SLORC)
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 NCGUB: NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER, RANGOON)
 NMSP: NEW MON STATE PARTY
 RTA.:REC.TRAVEL.ASIA NEWSGROUP
 SCB.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 SCT.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
 XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY