Burmanet News: February 28, 1995

************************** BurmaNet **************************
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"
The BurmaNet News: Tuesday, February 28, 1995
Issue #117

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

               Another serious matter here is that one of the
               victims in this most recent brutal assault is that
               a Thai national was killed on his own land by a
               foreign power. This represents a grave challenge
               to Thai sovereignty.

                    <See ABSDF: SLORC ATTACK ON THAI SOIL>

Contents:

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
NATION: RECENT GROWTH SEEN IN JAPAN, BURMA TRADE AND INVESTMENT
NATION: MARUBENI COMMITS SUPPORT TO BURMA
NATION: BURMA MISSION SIGNS PACT
AP: BURMA ISSUES ENTERTAINMENT DRESS CODE

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
KHRG: MYAWADDY-KAWKAREIK AREA REPORTS (2 of 2)
NLM/SLORC: WHAT CAUSED NGA MYA TO RUN?
NLM/SLORC: GIFTS FOR KAYINS RETURNED TO MYAINGGYINGU

**************"THE OTHER COUNTRY"/THAILAND)*******************
ABSDF: SLORC ATTACK ON THAI SOIL
BKK POST: BURMESE STUDENTS SEEK ASSURANCE FROM UN ON PROTECTION
          OF KARENS

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
BKK POST: US CITY MAY BOYCOTT BURMA
SCB: BERKELEY BAN ON BURMA BIZ
BAG-UK: ANTI BRITISH WEEK PROTEST
BURMANET: HUBBARD'S REMARKS TO HARVARD BURMA GROUP
WEEKEND AUSTRALIAN: HAWKE AND D'ALPUGET QUIZZED ON BURMA TRIP
CANBERRA TIMES: LETTER-"HAWKE'S CREDIBILITY UNDERMINED"
CANBERRA TIMES: LETTER- "HAWKES' WEAK AND VAPID DEFENCE OF
               ENGAGEMENT"

The BurmaNet News is an      *********************************
electronic newspaper         *                  Iti          *
covering Burma.  Articles    *                 snotpo        *
from newspapers, magazines,  *             werthatcor        *
newsletters, the wire        *            ruptsbutfea        *
services and the Internet as *           r.Fearoflos         *
well as original material    *          ingpowercor          *
are published.               *       ruptsthosewhoare        *
The BurmaNet News  is        *     subjecttoit...Theef       *
e-mailed  directly to        *     fortnecessarytoremain     *
subscribers  and  is         *   uncorruptedinanenvironm     *
also  distributed via        *  entwherefearisanintegralpar  *
the soc.culture.burma        *   tofeverydayexistenceisnoti  *
and seasia-l mailing         *     mmediatelyapparentto      *
lists and is also            *       thosefortunate          *
available via the            *       enoughtolivein          *
reg.burma conference on      *        statesgovern           *
the APC networks.  For a     *         edbytherule           *
free subscription to         *         oflaw...fear          *
the BurmaNet News, send      *          is ahab  it.         *
an e-mail message to:        *                 Iam           *
                             *                   no          *
 burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx        *                  taf          *
                             *                   ra          *
Subscriptions are handled    *                  id.          *
manually so please allow     *                  Aun          *
for a delay before your      *                  gSa          *
request is fielded.          *                  nS           *
Letters  to  the  editor,    *                   uu          *
comments or contributions    *                   Ky          *
of articles should be        *                   i.          *
sent to the editor at:       *********************************
   strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

In Washington:

  Attention to BurmaNet
  c/o National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB)
  Information Office
  815 15th Street NW, Suite 609
  Washington D.C. 20005
  Tel: (202) 393-7342, Fax: (202) 393-7343

In Bangkok:
  Attention to BurmaNet
  c/o Burma Issues
  PO Box 1076, Silom Post Office
  Bangkok 10504 Thailand
  Tel: (066) (02) 234-6674, Fax: (066) (02) 631 0133

[The NCGUB is the government-in-exile, made up of the people who
won the election in 1990.  Burma Issues is a Bangkok-based non-
governmental organization that documents human rights conditions
in Burma and maintains an archive of Burma-related documents.
Views expressed in The BurmaNet News do not necessarily reflect
those of either NCGUB or Burma Issues]

*************THE BURMANET NEWS--FEBRUARY 28, 1995*************

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
NATION: RECENT GROWTH SEEN IN JAPAN, BURMA TRADE AND INVESTMENT

Economic and business relations between Burma and Japan have
growing in recent weeks with the signing of two memoranda and
the visit of a large Japanese delegation, according to
official media report on Saturday.

The New Light of Myanmar newspaper said a 30-member group led
by former Japanese Deputy Minister of Finace Tadado Chino
arrived on Friday to study trade and investment opportunities
for Japan in Burma.

The same day, a memorandum of understanding for investment and
bilateral cooperation was signed between Itochu Corp of Japan
and the Burmese Slorc, the ruling regime in Burma.
Over the past two weeks similar memoranda were signed during
visits of delegations from Japan's gaint Marubeni and Sumitomo
corporations.

Kyodo reports from Rangoon: Major Japanese trading house
Itochu Corp has agreed with Myanmar to promote economic
cooperation, particularly in energy and telecommunications
sectors.

Yakuya Yoshida, vice chairma of Itochu , signed a memorandum
of understanding with Myanmar's National Planning and Economic
Development Minister Brig Gen David Abel in Rangoon on Friday.
No detrails, however, were given of the memorandum.
Earlier this month, two other leading Japanese tradinbg
companies, Marubeni Corp and Sumitomo Corp, concluded similar
pacts in Rangoon with Myanmar's military junta. (TN)

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
NATION: MARUBENI COMMITS SUPPORT TO BURMA

Japan's Marubeni trading company has become the first
Japanese company to sign an agreement with the Burmese
government to help dvelop the country's infrastructure and
market economy, Financial Times' Feb 21 edition reported.
The agreement would give Marubeni a significant head atart in
a country which is increasingly seen in Japan as a promising
new market, the newspaper reported.

The Marubeni agreement could be a signal for other Japanese
companies to try and establish a foothld in the Burmese
market.

Under the agreement, Marubeni has agreed to act as a project
co-ordinator for the Burmese government's plans to build up
and modernise airport and communication networks. to promote
joint ventures with local Burmese companies, to assist in the
decelopment of basic industries such as oil, stell and gas,
promote exports of agricultural and mining products and help
with a master plan to attract foreign investment through
efforts such as the development of industrial parks, Financial
Times reported. (TN)

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
NATION: BURMA TRADE FAIR OPENS

A week-long industrial fair aimed at boosting trade and
foreign investment opened its doors here on Saturday.
Trade Minister Tun Kyi told guests at the inaugural ceremony
at the Myanmar Trade Fair '95: "We firmly believe that the
economy development of a country can only be achieved by joint
efforts of the public and private sectors together with the
financial and technical inflow of foreign companies and
trans-national corporations".

It is the second such fair in Burma, which is formally called
Myanmar.

Since adopting a market-oriented economy, Burma has set up a
legal framework to encourage foreign investment and the
participation of both local and foreign companies, the general
said.

"The national economy is gradually going towards privatization
where ever possible," Tun Kyi said.

He said private participation was "very encouraging," and
Burma now earns more foreign exchange through exports. (TN)

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
NATION: BURMA MISSION SIGNS PACT

The largest Thai trade mission ever to visit Burma has signed
a memorandum to increase trade cooperation and discussed
investment opportunities in wood-related industries, an
official newspaper said yesterday.

Thailand is one of the top foreign investors in Burma, having
put $235 million into the country as of November last year.
The 85-member trade mission signed the memorandum on Thursdsay
and met with five ministers of Burma's military government,
the New Light of Myanmar reported. Details of the memorandum
weren't relased. (TN)

************************INSIDE BURMA**************************
AP: BURMA ISSUES ENTERTAINMENT DRESS CODE
February 26, 1995

        RANGOON, Burma (AP) -- Entertainers are barred from
wearing tight or ragged jeans, skirts with slits and shaggy hair
under a new dress code set out by the military junta to stamp out
``alien culture.''
        Lt. Gen. Myo Nyunt, a member of Burma's ruling junta,
lashed out at entertainers for wearing ``decadent'' outfits that
he said were incompatible with Burmese culture, the New Light of
Myanmar newspaper reported today.
        The general issued the dress code at a meeting Thursday
with Rangoon's film stars and club entertainers as well as owners
of karaoke lounges, hotels and restaurants.
        He warned that severe action would be taken against
entertainment places where ``indecent acts'' occur. He did not
elaborate.

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
KHRG: MYAWADDY-KAWKAREIK AREA REPORTS (2 of 2)
An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
January 15, 1995     /     KHRG #95-03

The following testimonies and information have been gathered by
our human rights monitors from civilian villagers in the area
between Myawaddy, opposite the Thai border town of Mae Sot, and
Kawkareik, about 40 km. to the west in Karen State.  Some of the
people interviewed are now in refugee camps in Thailand.
#7.
NAME:     "Saw K'Paw Wah"     SEX: M    AGE: 40   Karen farmer
ADDRESS:  xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

On September 12 at 6:30 a.m., I went to the forest to tend my
buffalos and suddenly met Captain Myint Yi and his troops.  They
captured me, tied me up with rope and took me to a place about 1
mile away from my village.  When I got there, they tied me to a
tree and interrogated me.  They asked, "Are there any insurgents
around, and how often do they come here?"  I replied, "Yes, they
come here, but there are none here now.  I don't know where they
are now."  But they didn't accept my answer, and started kicking
and punching me continuously.  They kicked me with their big
boots about 30 times.  I fell unconscious for about 10 minutes.
Finally I couldn't bear the pain anymore, and I said I would show
them the house of a revolutionary in our village.  Then they
stopped the torture, but they kept me tied up for 3 days.  They
dragged me to the village with a rope around my neck to show them
the house of the revolutionary.  Then they took me to a place
near Thingan Nyi Naung and I was released.  Even now, my whole
body still aches.  When I hear that SLORC troops are coming, I'm
really afraid and I go into hiding.  I don't sleep well in my
house anymore.
#8.
NAME:     "Saw Tha Kler" SEX: M    AGE: 21   Karen farmer
ADDRESS:  xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

On September 28, I and my brother "Ler Htoo", who is 23 [see
story #9], went to the forest about 1 mile east of our village to
check our elephants.  When we went up a hill in the forest, we
suddenly ran into Captain Myint Yi from #357 Battalion.  As soon
as he saw us, he started to ask us many questions.  After 2 or 3
questions, he started to hit and kick us.  He punched me in the
face and kicked me with his big boots.  He accused us of coming
to hide and spy on the troops, and he accused us of being KNU
informers and said we brought guns and walkie-talkies for them.
Then they tied up our hands behind our backs and tied us to
trees, and left us there for the whole night without any food or
water.  Various officers came to us, interrogated us many times
and punched us.  We finally lost consciousness, but they poured
water on our heads and we came round again.  Our faces were very
swollen and our whole bodies were in alot of pain, so we couldn't
sleep that night.

The next morning we were taken to Meh Kaneh village with our
hands still tied behind our backs.  They held us there, then in
the evening they released us.  It was very hard for us to get
back to our village, because our faces were completely swollen up
and our whole bodies were aching.  After we got home, we had to
get medical treatment for a long time, and it cost us alot of
money.  Even now, the pain still hasn't all disappeared.
#9.
NAME:     "Saw Ler Htoo" SEX: M    AGE: 23   Karen farmer
ADDRESS:  xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

On September 28 at 8 a.m., my brother "Saw Tha Kler" and I went
to a hill near the village to look after our elephants.  When we
reached the hill, we saw Captain Myint Yi and his troops.  Right
away he started to ask us many questions, then they separated us
and interrogated us again.  "You are Karens?", they asked.  I
said "Yes."  So they threatened me and said they will kill all
the Karens.  They put a gun barrel in my mouth and tied me up
with a rope.  Then they asked questions continuously, and took
turns beating me up.  They accused me of being a Karen, then beat
me, interrogated me some more and beat me again, and so on.
Finally I almost lost consciousness.  They kicked my face many
times and burned my face with a cheroot [Burmese cigar].  I was
tied to the tree with rope around my neck, my chest and my hands.
After kicking me many times, they left me there for the night
tied up to the tree.

The next morning I was taken away with my hands tied behind my
back to Meh Kaneh village.  That afternoon, luckily, my brother
and I were released.  When I got back home I needed medical
treatment for a long time.  Sometimes I still don't sleep well at
night, and when I hear SLORC troops are coming I run and hide
somewhere.
#10.
NAME:     "Saw Eh Kaw"        SEX: M    AGE: 30   Karen farmer
ADDRESS:  xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

In the morning on October 4th, I went to a stream at my farm to
check my fishing net.  While I was there, Light Infantry
Battalion #357 troops led by Captain Myint Yi arrived and caught
me.  While I was in their hands, they beat me 5 times on my head
with a mortar shell.  Then they took me to lead them to my
village.  When we got there, they ordered me to assemble all the
villagers, and they told all the villagers that they were looking
for a person who had just escaped from them [a deserter - see the
next testimony].  Everyone said they didn't know anything about
it.  Finally, the soldiers killed one of the villagers' pigs and
went away.  This kind of thing always happens around our village.
[Note: "Saw Eh Kaw" has a bad cut on his head from the beating.]
#11.
NAME:     "Pler Hai"     SEX: M    AGE: 25   Karen farmer
ADDRESS:  xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

At noon on October 4th, Light Infantry Battalion #357 entered our
village while I was sleeping, led by Captain Myint Yi.  They came
into my house, dragged me out and beat me up.  They ordered me to
go to the village head and bring him back.  We were forced to
gather all the villagers in front of them.  They asked about a
deserter who had just escaped from their post, but we told them
we knew nothing about it.  They couldn't get any information from
the villagers, so they killed a pig and left the village, but
first they ordered me to deliver a letter to their base nearby.
[Note: villagers are often executed if their village is suspected
of harbouring a deserter.  See other KHRG reports.]
#12.
NAME:     "Pa Thay" SEX: M    AGE: 30   Karen farmer ADDRESS:
xxxx
village, Kawkareik Township

On September 19th in the afternoon, about 3 p.m., I went with "Pa
Noe" to the river to pick medicinal herbs.  "Pa Noe" [see next
testimony] is 60 years old.  Along the way, about 4 km. from our
village, we met Light Infantry Battalion #356 troops led by
Captain Ne Win.  They arrested us, separated us, tied us up and
interrogated and accused us a lot.  They accused us of coming
from the [Karen-held] revolution area and said we were sent by a
Karen Captain.  They said, "You are not villagers.  You are
spying on us."  Captain Ne Win and 4 of his soldiers punched me
and kicked me with their big boots.  They beat me up with a stick
and cut me with a bayonet.  I couldn't count how many times they
kicked me and hit me.  They beat me with a teak branch as thick
as my wrist until it broke, and then they replaced it.  They
broke it and replaced it 10 times.  They hit my head most of all.
My head was swollen all over, and the left side of my head was
cut.  My left ear was bleeding.  My left temple was bleeding.
Both my eyes were bruised red.  They beat me so much that I lost
consciousness 3 times, and then each time they poured water on
me.  One time I was unconscious for 20 minutes.  They forced me
to lie face down while 4 soldiers stepped on me.  Each one of
them stepped on one leg and one arm, and one soldier pressed my
face into the ground.  My right elbow was injured.  They also
covered my face with a plastic sheet and poured water on it
[possibly a nylon sheet - the wearer can breathe until the water
is poured, then he suffocates].  They carried on and on.

I kept losing consciousness, regaining it, and losing it again.
Then they tied my hands behind my back with 3 loops of rope,
looped it around my neck and tied it around a tree.  I couldn't
breathe because of the rope.  They took my bag [a Karen cloth
shoulder bag], ripped it into pieces and stuffed the pieces in my
mouth, then they ordered me to shout.  I couldn't shout, so they
carried on kicking and beating me.  By then I couldn't even feel
the beating anymore because I was already so battered.
At dusk, the soldiers pretended to leave.  I thought they were
gone, so I shouted for some help.  When I did that, they ran back
and started beating and kicking me again.  Then I lost
consciousness, and I didn't see them leave.  When I regained
consciousness, the moon was shining.  I think it must have been
about 9 p.m.  I tried to untie myself, got free and headed back
to the village.  I could hardly move.  I met some people near the
village, and they helped me to my house.  I arrived home at 10
p.m.

Now my whole body hurts badly, and my whole face is swollen.  I
don't dare stay in the village anymore, so I have to stay
elsewhere.  Now it is harvest time, but I don't dare go to gather
my paddy.  I need medical treatment.  I always feel dizzy and I
find it difficult just to drink water, not to mention trying to
eat rice.
#13.
NAME:     "Pa Noe"  SEX: M    AGE: 60   Karen farmer ADDRESS:
xxxx
village, Kawkareik Township

On September 19th I went together with "Pa Thay" to gather
medicinal plants.  On the way we met troops from Light Infantry
Battalion #356 commanded by Captain Ne Win.  They arrested us,
interrogated us and said to us: "You have been sent by a Karen
Army Captain.  You are spies."  They beat me up and kicked me all
over my body.  They hit my face and pulled my hair, and they beat
me in the jaw.  They alternated beating me and interrogating me.
They forced me to lie on the ground face down, and some soldiers
stepped on my back while they pressed my face into the ground.
My head was covered by a plastic sheet, then they poured water on
it.  I felt like I was losing consciousness.  They rolled a
wooden stick on my shins, and they beat me up with a teak stick
weighing about half a kilogram.  They broke three teak branches
on me during the beatings.  They poked me with a knife, then
twisted it inside the wound.  I can't count how many times they
beat me.  I lost consciousness once, for about 2 minutes, and
they poured water on me.  There were 4 soldiers, and one of them
was a Captain.  When they were satisfied with their beatings,
they took me to Pha Chaung.  When we were close to Pha Chaung,
each of the soldiers kicked me, then they tied me to a tree.
They blindfolded me with my sarong, but I could see a little.
They left, and after they had gone for a long time, I tried to
untie myself.  I called to "Pa Thay" 3 or 4 times and I waited,
but he didn't reply, so I thought he must have gone back to the
village ["Pa Thay" was still being held elsewhere by Capt. Ne Win
- see preceding testimony].  I got loose, stood up and went home.
I arrived home at 4 p.m.  My whole body was badly hurt.  My face
and my head were swollen, and I could hardly walk because of my
foot.  After I arrived home, I couldn't open my mouth because of
the pain.  Now my mouth is getting better, but one of my teeth is
loose.  I don't dare sleep at home anymore, so I stay in another
place.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to harvest my paddy or not.
#14.

NAME:     "U Ashin Wontha Sara"    SEX: M    AGE: ?    Karen
Buddhist monk ADDRESS:   xxxx village, Kawkareik Township

On September 10th, a column of troops from Battalions 355, 356
and 357 led by Captain Myint Yi came to the village.  The
villagers were afraid that the soldiers would arrest them,
torture and kill them and burn down the village, so they ran
away.  When the troops arrived in the village, they didn't see
anyone there so they left.  Once they were outside the village,
they shelled it.  One of the village houses was hit by a mortar
shell.  Later an order from SLORC was sent to the village saying
that all the villagers must move to another village, and that no
one would be allowed to stay.  It said that between 15/9/94 and
7/11/94, Article 144 of martial law would be applied in the
village.  But the villagers didn't move to the new place, they
fled into the forest to hide.  Nobody was left in the village, so
I had to move.  ["U Ashin Wontha Sara" is abbot of the village
monastery.  September falls within the period when Buddhist
monks' vows forbid them from leaving their monastery, so the
relocation order forced "U Ashin Wontha Sara" to break his vows.]
I went to Myawaddy to negotiate with the authorities to allow me
to stay longer to carry out my religious obligation, but they
wouldn't accept my plea.  Finally I had to move to the relocation
site on September 15th, where I managed to build a makeshift
shelter.  I had to interrupt my special religious obligations.
This is my failure.
#15.
The following reports were filed by Karen forces operating in the
Myawaddy-Kawkareik area:

On 25 November 1994, Warrant Officer Kya Ma Naw of SLORC #97
Battalion ordered Yan Koke village (near Kawkareik) to pay 2,000
Kyat each month for the following 5 months as compensation to the
Army for a Burmese soldier who was killed near their village.

Throughout 1994, Naung Keing village has been forced to pay
"porter fees" [generic name for extortion money] of 4,000 Kyat
per month to the headquarters of SLORC #230 Battalion at Mya Pa
Daing, for a total of 48,000 Kyat.  On 29 December 1994, an
officer from SLORC #230 Battalion ordered Naung Keing village and
Tee Po San village to give 20,000 Kyat and 30,000 Kyat
respectively, which he claimed was for the construction of a
school at Mya Pa Daing.  [The money may or may not be for a
school; even if it is, the villagers who have paid will probably
not be able to afford to send their children there and will be
afraid to send their children so close to a SLORC camp, while
some may not want to send their children because of the SLORC's
tightly restricted, propaganda-heavy and racist curriculum.]

On 1 December 1994 the village head of Zaw Heh village, U Ba Eh,
was arrested by a SLORC patrol led by Captain Kyaw Moe Thu from
#230 Battalion.  U Ba Eh was subsequently secretly executed.
Then on 1 January 1995, Zaw Heh village was forcibly relocated.
The Battalion explained the execution and relocation by saying
that U Ba Eh was a "robber", and claiming that a Karen soldier
who was killed at nearby Po Kya bridge was found to be a native
of Zaw Heh village.

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
NLM/SLORC: WHAT CAUSED NGA MYA TO RUN?
                             Maung Pho Hmat

         The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

        (continued from yesterday)
     Arrogant and opulent with his enormous
powers, stacks of dollars and bahts, Nga Mya may not
desire peace, but long suffering , starving and dying
KNU followers have begun to yearn for peace.  The
West Bloc, meddling in internal affairs  of several
countries, inciting rebellion, instigating racial or
religious problems and disrupting national unity in
pursuit of their neo-colonialist policies has been
striving to bridle those countries. This neo-colonialist
bloc usually nurtures elements opposing governments
of their own countries or encourages their armed
insurgencies. Nga Mya, in fact, has been one of the
proteges of this bloc of neo-colonialist countries.
     Moreover, Nga Mya himself has very narrow
views and is highly conceited. He sees only his
personal interests. Among his own national brethren
he favours only those who, with their narrow
outlooks, desire Kayins to break away. Even among
Kayins he wants to discriminate between  Sgaw Kayin,
Pwo Kayin, Gekho Kayin, Gebar Kayin, etc. He
desires to discriminate between Buddhist Kayins  and
Christian Kayins. Even among Christian Kayins he
favours those belonging to his own sect and profanes
and blasphemes Kayins of other denominations.
     The State Law and Order Restoration Council,
in its time, invited all armed organisations of the
jungles to abandon their armed-struggle line and join
hands with it in working for development of the
Union. Thirteen armed organisations, finding sincerity
in this invitation, have returned to take refuge in the
bosom of the peaceful Union. This intensified the
desire for peace of a majority of KNU who had been
living a senseless life. On 28 April 1992, the
Tatmadaw unilaterally ceased offensives. It thus
opened the door of peace in deed.
     Nga Mya resorted to delaying tactics to
deceitfully appease for three years the majority of
KNU who desire peace. Instead of trying to work for
peace, Nga Mya took the opportunity of the
Tatmadaw's ceasefire to launch armed attacks, to gun
down innocent people and kill villagers with land-
mines. The craving for peace of the majority of KNU
reached the verge of explosion.
     Among the KNU who crave for peace are
Christians as well as Buddhists, who are in the
majority. Nga Mya and his mentors who realised the
position, created a religious conflict to complicate
issues. Myainggyingu Sayadaw U Thuzana was made
a target for Nga Mya to create a religious conflict.
Nga Mya and his henchmen  insolently dealt with the
Sayadaw when the Sayadaw built the Datthabala
Pagoda on Layketu Hill near Thumwehta. They even
made it impossible for the Sayadaw to reside in that
area.  On 5 January 1995, Nga Mya's forces stormed
Thumwehta, burning down the Phaung-daw-U
pagoda, the Eiksarthaya Monastery and the Ordination
Hall and killing hundreds of villagers. The Thumwehta
village was completely destroyed.
     Buddhist Kayin ntionals ad Bddhist KNU
exploded in anger. Radio stations that are stooges of
the West Bloc began broadcasting programmes
inciting hatred between  Buddhist Kayins and Christian
Kayins. Western colonialist countries have already
accumulated vast experience in practising this divide
and rule policy breaking down the sovereignty of
independent nations and enslaving them. At present
they are engaged in dividing a single nation into
mutually antagonistic factions, in inciting one national
group against another, in lands where many national
groups live together, inciting one religion against
another inciting believers in one religion against
believers in another region, stirring up racial conflicts
out of religious conflicts. They are doing it most
craftily. Instances to cite are numerous.
     Nga Mya began to dance to the tune called by
his benefactors and mentors and to become
cannibalistic. He issued repeated orders to kill
Buddhist monks, Buddhist Kayin nationals and
Buddhist KNU members. Ultimately, peace advocates
whose fury had exploded rose against and took over
Manerplaw. Nga Mya and his clique fled into the other
country as fast as their legs could carry them. Just as
the Ba Ka Pa who had practised their cannibalistic
demote dismiss-decapitate policy and insulted religion
had finally disintegrated and ended their drama of
folly, Nga Mya's KNU has also begun to disintegrate.
     Nga Mya's mentors had gone wrong in writing
their scenario. Colonial puppet Nga Mya who played
the major role knows not the dance of a prince and
keeps dancing the dance of an ogre, and the audience
began to shower brick-bats on him.  Since the time
Myanmar regained Independence and Myanmars
themselves began to exercise their sovereign powers,
there has been freedom of worship in Myanmar. There
has never been any discrimination on account of race
and colour. The State Constitution of Myanmar of
1947 and the State Constitution of Myanmar of 1974
both gaated freedom of worship. There is fredm
ofwrhpunderthe present regime of the SaeLaw
adOder Rstoration Coni. Evey rligion is being
elped and supported  with care.  As the Na Wa Ta
effectively worked for national reconsolidation with a
view to building a peaceful and developed Union,
thirteen organisations have secured peace.
     It has been a case of a majority of KNU
members exploding in anger because of Nga Mya's
unforgettable brutal bayonetting of his own followers
in the Bawtharaw  affair, his reign of terror over his
followers and Kayin nationals, his unruly
discriminatory treatment on the basis of race and
religion even among  his own Kayin nationals, his
complete disregard of his followers' food and shelter
needs and his own luxuriating in Bangkok and
Chiangmai as a multi-millionaire. Under these
circumstances there is no ground for pointing an
accusing finger at the Na Wa Ta.
     Nga Mya's deeds were designed exclusively for
his own welfare and for that of his bosses. He brutally
tortured and killed Kayin nationals and other nationals.
If carefully analysed, it will be found that Nga Mya
does not represent any Kayin national, not even his
own KNU members and that despite  his repeated
claims of working for the welfare of the Kayins, he
was in fact working for the misery of Kayins. The
KNU armed insurgency, instigated by the imperialist
divisive policy, is still  in genocide as desired
by its directors. Because of his brutal suppression of a
majority of KNU (now the DKBO) who desire to
establish peace among them and work for the welfare
of their own people, the peace-loving DKBO  attacked
and took over Manerplaw, the central headquarters of
the KNU, on 27 January 1995. The Tatmadaw
rendered required help only because the DKBO
requested it. The Tatmadaw dedicated to national
solidarity, only rendered humanitarian help to those
who desire to secure peace mainly for the welfare of
Kayin nationals and the Kayin State.
     No sooner than the West Bloc learnt of Nga
Mya's ignominious rout from Manerplaw, its radio
stations and media began their shameless interference.
It is simply amazing that the BBC and the VOA, who
kept their mouths shut when Nga Mya mass-
slaughtered innocent villagers, should agonise when
Nga Mya had to run for his dear life.
     At 6 pm on 26 January, the VOA, quoting
statements made by US Embassy in Bangkok,
broadcast that "the United States of America has
informed the Myanma military government of its
concern over reports that the Myanma army is battling
and evicting Kayin rebels along Thai-Myanmar
border".
     At 6 pm on 26 January, the VOA broadcast
that "The United States of America has declared that
Myanmar government's offensive against rebels along
Thai-Myanmar border could ruin chances of improving
its relations with America, that the State Department
said that it is studying how Myanmar government's
human rights violations could affect US-Myanmar
relations. US authorities pointed out that improvement
of bilateral relations would depend upon improvement
of Myanma-human rights records".
     At 6:30 am on 27 January, the BBC broadcast
that "A State Department official in Washington
expressed concern about battles raging around Kayin
rebel headquarters at Manerplaw.  Kayins in Thailand
say that Kayin guerillas had suffered heavy casualties
and that kayin desertions have increased. Kayin
officials admit that they are running out of arms and
ammunition".
     The West Bloc's expression of concern at the
collapse of the central camp of insurgents who have
been killing, burning down and destroying property,
has come as a huge joke to Myanmars.  The BBC, as
usual, dubbed the break-away Buddhist KNUs as
"deserters". Nga Mya himself would not have been
capable of finding such an epithet.
     In the 6:30 am news bulletin of 29 January, the
BBC said: "The United States of America has
appealed to Myanmar military government to halt its
offensive against Kayin rebels and resolve its
differences  with indigenous national  groups
            f ully. The Americans expressed their concern
over Manerplaw fighting for the second time in as
many days". The BBC continued to say that "A
statement issued by the White House points out that
Myanma military operations are diametrically opposed
to the government's professed desire to pursue a
course of national reconciliation. It says that the
offensive is shocking in view of Myanmar's record of
massive violations of human rights.  Rebels assert that
they would continue their  fight for self-rule even if
Manerplaw were to fall". Thus did the BBC broadcast
false accusations and further encourgament of Nga
Mya. How have they come to claim fighting national
traitors and armed insurgents as being massive
violations of human rights?
     Persons of all ranks from the West Bloc used
to come to Manerplaw to help and support Nga Mya.
A so-called human rights group led by a member of
parliament from England came and made arrangements
to spread throughout the world false charges against
the Tatmadaw. A Canadian, one Calvin Hefner, during
Nga Mya's American tour, wrote a complaint against
Myanmar government to be submitted at the Carter
Centre. Errand boys of the West Bloc, frequently
given awards and prizes, came to Manerplaw on
prestige-boosting missions. Eleanor, wife of US Naval
Attache Colonel Terry Hanson, came to Manerplaw to
intrigue. Several American and French military
instructors came to Manerplaw to teach military
techniques.
     When Manerplaw fell and Nga Mya fled, the
West Bloc began to shout loudly for a halt in fighting
alleging it to  government's violation of
human rights. Coeds on their way home by train when
the University went on vacation were abducted by Nga
Mya's KNU and bartered for arms and ammunition
with the Nationalist Chinese.  For numerous
other atrocities, Nga Mya is a mere murderer and
bandit in the eyes of all Union nationals including
Kayins. Why is the West Bloc pampering and fawning
upon such a murderer and bandit like Nga Mya? It is
very clearly not for the welfare of Kayin masses but
only in the interests of the West Bloc.
     Everybody must have heard authorities from
West Bloc countries repeatedly admitting that they
have been giving help, loans, aid and technology to
other countries exclusively in the donors' own interests
and that they have been interfering, blockading,
impeding and intruding in this or that country's affairs
exclusively for their own benefits. As is common
knowledge, it is they who have appointed themselves
as policemen of the world to dominate this or that
country, under  the neo-colonialist policy, and to
extract benefits for their own country.
            h e following causes will be discovered if the
Manerplaw debacle is to be objectively evaluated:
(1) The armed insurrection of the KNU with narrow
racialist views and as instigated by imperialism in itself
is false.
(2) The mass of Myanmar peoples, including Kayin
masses, loathe the KNU for atrocities like killing,
burning down villages, sowing land mines, exploding
bombs, extorting 'taxes', exacting 'tolls' and recruiting
men forcibly during the forty years of its evil existence.
(3) KNU followers are not satisfied that Nga Mya, as
well as KNU leadership, have left their followers to
their own fate while they themselves have amassed
funds, properties, estates and businesses in Thailand as
well as in Western countries.
(4) Nga Mya, who is prepared to make the Devil
himself his bed-mate if that would be to his benefit,
joined hands with such an opium-smuggler and
purveyor of vice likend made himself a
servile disciple of the West Bloc whose aim is to cause
Myanmar's disintegration and enslave it.
(5) In Bawtharaw incident Nga Mya personally
executed his own followers and bayonetted those who
were in the last throes of death. KNU followers
suffered this insufferable kind of rule by terror,
without the slightest semblance of any organisational
style, only to wait for an opportunity to rise up.
(6) Nga Mya discriminated between Kayins and other
indigenous peoples, he discriminated between  Sgaw
Kayins, Pwo Kayins, Gekho Kayins and Gebar Kayins
and favoured only those Kayins who belonged to his
own tribe of Kayins; he discriminated between
Buddhists and Christians; and even among Christians
he favoured only those who belonged to his own sect
and profaned and insulted those who belonged to
other denominations. This intensified hatred of Nga
Mya not only among the Kayin masses but even
among KNU ranks.
(7) While other national groups are securing peace and
are working for the welfare of their own people and
their own region, Nga Mya keeps escalating his
insurrection at a time when  the Na Wa Ta has been
trying for national reconciliation, unilaterally
suspending offensives and offering peace.
(8) Nga Mya keeps striving to prolong the evil
existence of his insurrection by flouting  the
aspirations of a majority for peace through delaying
and deceptive tactics for three years.
(9) Nga Mya who sensed that a majority of KNU
members who desired  peace are Buddhist Kayins,
tried to transform the peace issue into a religious issue.
For this purpose he began to find fault with
Myainggyingu Sayadaw, destroyed pagodas,
monasteries and ordination halls, banned building of
pagodas and attacked and killed Buddhists. For these
sins did Nga Mya get evicted from Manerplaw, for
these sins did the KNU collapse and for these sins did
         Mya' s clique come to drop the final curtain on
their drama of sin and stupidity.
     To sum up again. The fall of Manerplaw,
causing Nga Mya to flee, is not like what the West
Bloc is deliriously  screaming. They are mere sequels
to an explosion of fury sparked by intolerable
insolence and impudence against Buddhist Kayins, in
other words those who desire to secure peace and
work for the welfare of their own people, their own
State and their own Union, perpetrated by national
traitor, mercenary puppet of neo-colonialists, most
arrogant and peerlessly brutal murderer, Nga Mya.
             (Translation AM)

*****************KAREN STATE/KAWTHOOLEI***********************
NLM/SLORC: GIFTS FOR KAYINS RETURNED TO MYAINGGYINGU

The New Light of Myanmar Newspaper

     Myanmar Maternal and Child Welfare
Association (Central) presented medical equipment
worth over K 925,000 and K 50,000 and donors from
Yangon, 1,200 bars of soap for Kayins returning to a
model village near Myainggyingu village in Kayin
State on 22 February.

     Vice-President U Kyi Soe of MMCWA handed
the gifts and cash to Chairman  U Saw Tha Htoo
Kyaw of Democratic Kayin Buddhist Organization at
the model village.

     Accompanied by health officials of Kayin
 Kyi Soe, who is also the Director-General of
Planning and Statistics Department of the Ministry of
Health, paid respects to Myainggyingu Sayadaw U
Thuzana and supplicated on conducting health care
services and prevention of infectious diseases at the
village.

     They then inspected the village and temporary
dispensary and looked into the requirements.

                                        MNA

************************THAILAND******************************
ABSDF: SLORC ATTACK ON THAI SOIL
February 24, 1995

ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT
CENTRAL COMMITTEE
HEADQUARTERS

The statement of the ABSDF against the perpetrators
of the recent atrocious crime on Thai soil

The 23rd February, 1995 refugees from Mae Go Hta
south of Mae Sam Lap (Mae Sariang District) were
moving to the new camp, Mae Taw Hla, a safer place
inside Thailand. They were transported by DYNA
trucks. However, while they were traveling, the first
car was attacked by approximately twenty soldiers
with M-79 launchers and small arms. As a result, two
Karen women--one an expectant mother, (they were
sitting in the front) and the driver, a Thai national,
were killed on the spot. Six children under nine years
old were also wounded.

The question to consider is, who were the perpetrators
of this atrocious crime on Thai soil. What is clear is
that such a sorrowful event had never occurred before
the fall of Manerplaw. This latest atrocity has its roots in the
SLORC invasion of Manerplaw assisted by the
DKBO. Following this incursion, they seized Wan
Kha (Kaw Mu Ra) and even raised the flag of the
DKBO there. Then, a few days ago, Mahn Yin Sein, a
KNU leader was kidnaped by the DKBO on Thai
territory. In any event, these incidents can be traced
back to the SLORC and their lackeys in the DKBO.

Another serious matter here is that one of the victims in
this most recent brutal assault is that a Thai national
was killed on his own land by a foreign power. This
represents a grave challenge to Thai sovereignty.
Moreover, this also raises the issue of national security. The
SLORC do not seem to respect national
boundaries, and they will undoubtedly continue if they
are allowed to operate unchecked. If such incidents
are allowed to occur, the thousands of refugees already
living on the Thai-Burmese border will be vulnerable.
Furthermore, refugees will be forced to flee further
inside Thailand. Such an exodus is invariably
problematic, both to the refugees and to the Thai
authorities, thus creating instability, an undesirable
situation on all accounts.

ABSDF strongly object to this brutal and unlawful act
committed by the SLORC on Thai soil. And request to
the international community to denounce the SLORC
and to take serious and decisive action against such
abuses.

Date, February 24, 1995

**************"THE OTHER COUNTRY"/THAILAND)*******************
BKK POST: BURMESE STUDENTS SEEK ASSURANCE FROM UN ON PROTECTION
          OF KARENS

Burmese students yesterday appealed to the United Nations and
the international community to ensure all Karen refugees on
the Thai side of the border are protected against human rights
abuses by the Rangoon junta.

The statement released by the All Burma Student's Democratic
Front said: "We earnestly appeal to the UN and the
international community to find a proper solution to the basic
problems of mounting insecurity and to see all the refugees on
the Thai-Burma border are cared for.

The appeal follows recent forays by Slorc's troops on refugees
camps in Yhai territory. Last Tuesday Burmese troops attacked
five trucks carrying karen refuges from Mae Pho Tha to a new
refugee camp deeper inside Thailand.

Two Karen women, one pregnant, and a Thai driver were killed
and 10 other people, including four children, were seriously
wounded.

Earlier, troops of the Democratic Kayin (Karen) Buddhist Front
abducted a senior Buddhist officer of the Karen National Union
and five others from the Mae La refugees camp inside Thailand.
The DKBF, a newly-formed breakaway group of former KNU troops,
has accused the KNU's Christian-dominated leadership of
practicing religious discrimination against Buddhist soldiers
who make up about 85 per cent of the Karen force.
The KNU abandoned its last defence stronghold at Kawmoora last
week to Slorc forces.

The main base at Manerplaw fell to the Burmese with the help
of DKBF forces which led the attack on their former
headquarters.

The ABSDF also called on the Karen people to be more vigilant
and not to fall prey to the "religious trap" which the Slorc
was setting up.

Capitalising on the split in the KNU, the Slorc has been
exploiting the religious issue to the full as a propaganda
tool to encourage more Karen to defect with promises of land
and job security.

A statement released from the National Coalition Government of
the Union of Burma also expressed concern for the safety of
the Karen refugees.

"The NCGUB is greatly concerned for the safety of the
refugees, given the ease with which the armed Slorc troops can
enter refugees camps in Thailand, and urges the Thai
Government to provide more security for them," it said.

The paralle Burmese government added that the attack on the
five trucks and the deaths of two Karen women and a Thaidriver
occured on the same day Slorc army Chief-of Staff Lt-Gen Tin
Oo ws visiting Thailand.

Lt-Gen Tin Oo aplogised to Army Chief Gen Wimol Wongwanich for
the burden caused by Slorc offensives and asked Thailand to
send all the refugees back to Burma to help in the
"reconstruction of the country".

Deputy Foreign Minister surin Pitsuwan on Saturday emphasised
Thailand's policy of providing humanitarian assistance to
those taking temporary refugee in the country and of not
allowing any group to use its soil as a base for guerrilla
operations against neighbouring countries.

Thailand would allow the refugees to return home only when the
situation there returned to normal and they decided to leave
of their own free will, he said.
The NCGUB said that Thailand alone was not suffering
intrusions by the Burmese military.
It said that on January 24, about 20 Slorc troops from the
50th Battalion conscripted 28 people as porters and
confiscated 13 ox-carts from village in Sagaing.
Troops also intruded into Mi Naung village in India's Manipur
State and were temporarily detained by the Indian army.
The statement condemned Slorc as an "illegal regime"
contemptuous of the sovereignty of neighbouring legal
governments and showing no respect fro international norms and
principles.

KNU military commander Brig-Gen Taw Hla said his group's
withdrawal from Kawmoora did not mean it was  giving up the
fight.

"In future we are chaning our tactics  from having a defensive
position to guerrilla warfare," he said. (BP)

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
BKK POST: US CITY MAY BOYCOTT BURMA

The Berkeley City Council in California will meet  on Tuesday
to vote on a proposed law to prohibit the city from doing
business with companies operating in Burma because of the
country's repressive human rights record.

The action, expected to be approved by the council, would be
the first in the world to place restrictions on companies
doing business in Burma.

Bay Area Burma Roundtable, a citizens group concerned with
the human rights situation in Burma, and Progressive Asset
management., an Oakland brokerage firm specialising in
socially responsible investing, are the main backers of the
legislation.

Prominent clergy and environmental groups are also supporting
the proposal.

The campaign is in response to Burma's democratically elected
leaders, now in exile, who have called on foreign companies
operating in Burma to leave the country.

The democracy leaders have called for the withdrawal of all
foreign companies from Burma, maintaining that funds paid to
the Slorc are used to prop up the illegitimate regime. (BP)

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
SCB: BERKELEY BAN ON BURMA BIZ
tun     soc.culture.burma       12:26 AM  Feb 27, 1995
(at macpsy.ucsf.EDU)
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 1995 23:10:13 -0800

Dear Friends of Burma:

Tuesday, February 27, 1995 may be a momentous day
in the annals of Burmese history.   At 7 p.m. that
evening, the City Council of Berkeley, California
will vote for a selective purchasing law which
would ban the City from procuring goods or services
provided by companies doing business in Myanmar.

The resolution is being adopted in response to the
call by 1992 Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San
Suu Kyi for economic sanctions against Burma's
brutal military regime.  It is modeled upon the
City's ground-breaking South African ordinance
which was the first of many selective purchasing
laws adopted by municipalities nationwide. Fellow
Nobel laureate Archbishop Tutu, a strong supporter
of Aung San Suu Kyi's call for economic pressures,
has said, "Tough sanctions, not constructive
engagement.  This is the language that must be
spoken with tyrants."

Proponents hope that the resolution's passage,
which seems likely now, will spark a renewed debate
in the international community over the failed
promise of the 1990 elections, won overwhelmingly
for the National Leagues for Democracy (NLD), whose
leaders including Aung San Suu Kyi are now in
exile, under arrest, or dead by the hand of the
military regime, called the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC).  SLORC prevented NLD
leadership from assuming the mantle of leadership
and has since undertaken to convene a national
"Constitutional Convention" that is drafting little
more than a bill of rights for the military,
ensuring it overwhelming control of government
indefinitely.  Should the resolution pass,
proponents hope to bring it to the attention of the
UN Commission on Human Rights, holding its Geneva,
Switzerland meeting in February and March.

Businesses that may be immediately affected by the
Berkeley purchasing ban include oil giants Unocal
and Texaco along with PepsiCo (parent of Chevy's,
Hostess-Frito-Lay,  Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pizza
King, Taco Bell, and beverages 7-Up, Mountain Dew,
Crush, Hires, Dr. Pepper, Lipton Iced Tea*, Ocean
Spray* [* = joint ventures]).  However, should
compaas American Express, Arco, or United
Parcel Service enter the Myanmar market, they too
would be prohibited from doing business with the
City of Berkeley.

Over the past several years, Amoco Oil and textile
companies Levi Strauss, Eddie Bauer, and Liz
Claiborne, have bowed out of Burma, citing economic
and human rights issues.   Shareholder action
against Unocal in 1994  netted a significant 15% of
votes in favor of issuing a detailed reporting on
the company's operations in Myanmar, which
responded with a fluffy P.R. pamphlet, that if not
misinformative showed a singularly callous
disregard for the human suffering inflicted by its
military partner in the Yetugan natural gas
pipeline development .  (Of course, these guys have
been cozy with Suharto in Indonesia for years.)
Proposed shareholder resolutions against Texaco and
PepsiCo were rejected by the SEC's 1994 decision on
the five percent rule, citing that their business
operations in Myanmar amounted to less than 5% of
total company business.   Boycotts are currently
underway against businesses involved with Myanmar.

If you're in the Bay Area and you're interested,
feel free to attend the City Council meeting, 7
p.m. at Martin Luther King Jr. Way, at Center
Street (2 blocks from Shattuck Avenue BART).  An
open forum, from 7 to 7:30, allows speaking by
lottery so get there early if you wish to
participate.

A press release follows:

Progressive Asset Management

PRESS ADVISORY

For more information contact:
Conrad MacKerron
510-834-3722
1814 Franklin St., Suite 710
Oakland, CA  94612-3438

Attention:  Business Reporters/Editors

VOTE ON WORLD'S FIRST BAN ON BURMA INVESTMENT SET
FOR FEB. 28

The Berkeley, California, City Council will meet
Tuesday, Feb. 28, 1995 at 7 p.m. to vote on a
proposed law to prohibit the city from doing
business with companies operating in Burma
(Myanmar) because of the country's repressive human
rights record.  The action, expected to be approved
by the council, would be the first in the world to
place restrictions on companies operating in Burma.

Bay Area Burma Roundtable, a citizens group
concerned with the human rights situation in Burma,
and Progressive Asset Management, an Oakland
brokerage firm specializing in socially responsible
investing, are the main backers of the legislation.
Prominent clergy and environmental groups are also
backing the proposal.

The military regime that controls Burma, the State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC), defies
fundamental freedoms to its citizens and has been
charged by human rights groups with torture and
execution of its political opponents, and
conscripting the population for forced labor.
SLORC came to power in 1988 by brutally crushing a
democracy movement led by students and monks in
which thousands were killed.

The campaign to pass the law is in response to
Burma's democratically elected leaders, now in
exile, who have called on foreign companies
operating in Burma to leave the country.  The
democracy leaders have called for withdrawal of all
foreign companies from Burma, maintaining that
funds paid to SLORC are used to prop up the
illegitimate regime.

In recent years, several U.S. companies have cut
ties with Burma, including Amoco, Levi Strauss, Liz
Claiborne and Eddie Bauer.  However, major
companies including PepsiCo, Texaco and Unocal
continue to operate in Burma.

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
BAG-UK: ANTI BRITISH WEEK PROTEST
Burma Action Group--United Kingdom
February 27, 1995

The second British week started today in Rangoon.  This is an
event organized b y the British Ambassador, J.D.N.
Hartland-Swann, to  encourage investment in Bu rma by British
firms.  Delegates flew out from Britain on the same evening that
Kawmoora was evacuated.  The following is an invitation from the
British Embassy which we have been able to obtain.

We feel very strongly that Britain has publicly done nothing
about condemning t he current offensive on the Thai Burma border
and are appalled that the British  Ambassador is actively
encouraging investment in this way.

We hope that you will support the protest against British week by
faxing the relevant British Embassy (numbers below).

British Week
27th February - 3rd March  1995

YANGON

Presenting Modern Britain to Myanmar, including:

An informed and up-to-date picture of the opportunities for trade
and investmen t in Myanmar.

Briefings by senior British business figures.

Seminars for British business representatives, their agents and
partners.
Jazz evenings with the British Moire Music Drum Orchestra.
Workshops, exhibitions, displays, films, books on UK/Myanmar.
Cabaret evenings at the Residence and the Strand Hotel with
Martin Palmer.
Coinciding with the Myanmar Trade Fair (25th Feb - 3rd March).
No fees - meeting service and accommodation bookings arranged (if
before 15th J anuary 1995).

Most of the events will be at the British Ambassador's Residence
Contact:  British Embassy, Yangon.  Tel: (95) 1 95300  Fax: (95)
1 89566

>From H.M. Ambassador
 British Emb assy,

       Rangoon.

4th December 1994

BRITISH WEEK IN YANGON:  27 February - 3 March 1995

           In view of your company's possible interest in the
Myanmar (Burma) m arket I thought I should write to you in the
hope of securing your support for a project which we are planning
for early 1995.

          In the last twelve months there has been a significant
increase in bu siness activity in Myan). I believe that there are
now good opportuni ties opening up here for British business (see
for example the enclosed copy of  an article which appeared in
the latest issue of the APAG Quarterly). Within t he limitations
imposed by our political attitude towards the present government
, which remain unchanged, we in the Embassy have been trying to
encourage this interest and to see how we might recapture our
position as one of Myanmar's tra ditional trading partners. We
initiated this by staging a very successful Briti sh Week in
March this year. Since then we have helped arrange visits here by
Br itish Chamber of Commerce Missions from both Bangkok and Hong
Kong; and another  from Singapore is under consideration.

          The programme for the next British Week which we are
planning will co ncentrate on a series of commercial seminars
over three days which will target the key sectors in the
developing Myanmar market. But we will also have a numbe r of
other attractive supporting social and cultural events. I enclose
a flyer we have prepared which illustrates this. We have also
arranged for the Week to coincide with the 1995 Myanmar Trade
Fair, only the second such fair to have be en staged. The Fair
authorities have offered space for a British stand and we a re
hoping that one or more British companies might wish to take
advantage of th is. There will also be an opportunity for those
attending the Week to visit the  Fair.

          I believe this represents a valuable opportunity to
bring together Br itish companies, some of whom have already done
business here and some of whom are newcomers to the market, to
share ideas and experiences. They will also be able to meet
members of the local business community and officials from
appropr iate Ministries to give them an informed and up-to-date
picture of what opportu nities for trade and investment are now
on offer in Myanmar. I am therefore wri ting to you in the hope
that I might persuade your company to be among them, wh ether
represented from the UK or from a regional centre such as
Bangkok, Hong K ong or Singapore. There will be no attendance fee
but we hope that those who co me might feel able to make a
voluntary contribution to our costs. We can arrang e
accommodation if necessary (see the enclosed registration form).
But we expec t participants to find their own fares and hotel
costs. Those attending from ou tside Myanmar would need to book
air tick!
 ets and make hotel reservations we
ll in advance (eg mid-January) because of the large number of
foreign visitors expected for the Myanmar Trade Fair. I hope you
will come.

J.D.N. Hartland-Swann.

Article from Apag quarterly November 1994 p6

Burma Market Grows

The Burmese economy is growing and British companies should be
exploring its po tential, Mr Julian Hartland-Swann, Britain's
Ambassador to Burma, told a meetin g recently at the London
Chamber of Commerce and Industry. gy sector is showing promise in
areas such as gas and turbines, and tw o offshore oil and gas
fields are being developed," he said.
"The building sector is also optimistic, with five major bridge
projects curren tly under consideration.  A UK company has
already tendered for two of them.  W ater, irrigation and dam
construction are also growing."

Telecommunications is another important area for Burma.  "Rangoon
has recently installed a modular telephone system and there are
plans to do the same for Man dalay.  The airport urgently needs
some investment in telecommunications.  The Burmese appear to be
trying to leapfrog the wire based telephone system stage a nd
going straight to modern transmitter based equipment.  There is
also the pos sibility of privatisation."

Tourism has potential as Burma has many sites of interest,
particularly in the Pagan and Pegu areas, but the airports and
roads need upd more hotels  are needed to allow the tourist trade
to develop.

However, Mr Hartland-Swann also sounded a note of caution.  The
European Commun ity operates a strict embargo on arms sales to
Burma, and ATP and ECGD cover ar e not available.  So long as
there is no noticeable improvement in Burma['s hum an rights
record and the SLORC still refuses to introduce democratic
reforms, t here is unlikely to be an improvement in EU/Burmese
relations, nor a change in the position of foreign aid.  Burma
is, therefore, a difficult country to do bu siness with," he
said.  "The country has very limited foreign exchange reserves .
Credit remains scarce and I would advise against any company
accepting an un backed letter of credit."

Barter, or countertrading, has been a traditional method of
business in Burma, with rice and timber two of the main products
traded.  Although countertrading is being phased out, companies
should be aware that they may have to accept som e unusual
trading practices.  "British companies should look at joint
ventures,  but should make sure they gain the majority share.
They should also arrange t heir finances so they can export
profits form the country.  This is difficult b ut they must try
to do it, " the ambassador warned.

English is commonly spoken in Burma and companies generally use
British busines s methods.  "It is easy to visit Rangoon while on
a business trip to S.E.Asia,"  Hartland-Swann said, "and I will
give every assistance to British businesses h oping to break into
the Burma market.

Programme

Monday 27 February
Opening Ceremony at Ambassador's residence
Keynote speeches by Myanmar Minister of Trade and Senior British
Business Repre sentative.
Panel Discussion: "Trade and Investment Prospects in Myanmar
Today". Visit to British Stand at Myanmar Trade Fair 1995 and
Workshop Evening Gala Concert at the Residence by the Moire Jazz
Drum Band
Tuesday 28 February
Registration for Commercial Seminars at the Resid
ence
Seminars 1 (infrastructure) and 2 (housing and hotel
construction) followed by lunch and seminar 3(agriculture, timber
and agro industry) Dinner at a Burmese restaurant.

Wednesday 1 March
Seminars 4(communications and technology) and 5 (banking finance
and insurance)  followed by lunch and Seminar 6 (trading: import
and export) Evening reception for seminar guests with a cabaret
entertainer: Martin Palmer.

Thursday 2 March
Seminars 7 (consumer industries) and 8 (energy(petroleum gas and
electricity)) Sightseeing visit to Shwedagon Pagoda and Hlaw Ga
Park
Film evening

Friday 3 Marcte commercial visits and follow-up contacts
Concluding reception at the residence

Standing exhibitions and events at the residence and the embassy
will include: Cultural exhibition of Photographs and Posters:
Exhibition of British Technolog y: Sponsored Exhibits from UK
companies: Films and Video Shows: Book Display
Fax Numbers for British Embassies around the world.

EUROPE
Britain         0171  270 2833 (Foreign and Commonwealth Office)
France          33 142 66 95 90
Germany                 49 2289 167 200
Netherlands     31 70 360 3839
Switzerland     411 2113660
Norway          47 22 55 1041
Sweden          46 86 629989
Czech Republic  422 245 11314

ASIA
Thailand                66 2 254 9578
Burm1700
India           91 11 687 2882
Hong Kong               85 22 845 2870
Japan                   81 352 753164

USA                     1 202 898 4255
Canada          613 237 7980
Australia               616 273 3236

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
BURMANET: HUBBARD'S REMARKS TO HARVARD BURMA GROUP

SAYS BURMA NEEDS CHANGES TO IMPROVE RELATIONS WITH

Nov 28, 1994

Cambridge, Massachusetts -- If Burma wants a more cooperative
relationship with the United States,  its  current  military
leadership needs to make changing to Deputy Assistant Secretary
of State Thomas Hubbard.

In remarks to "The Friends of Burma at Harvard" November 28,
Hubbard sais:"Those changes must come in democratization, human
rights and more vigorous conternarcotics efforts.

Hubbard was part of a U.S. delegation that recently visited
Burma. "Our mission," Hubbard said, "was to present two views of
the future:one where the Burmese leadership undertakes steps to
improve its  performance  in  democratization,  human  rights,
and counternarcotics cooperation with the result that its
relationship with the United States improves; and a second vision
linked to continued regime intransigence and a deteriorating
relationship with the United States."

Hubbard acknowledged that the delegation did not expect the
Burmese leadership to commit on the spot to the changes it
sought, and they didn't." We could expect a good hearing by the
top leadership, and we got a good hearing. In this sense, it
seems to me that our mission was worthwhile, " he said.

The United States will be observing the situation in Burma
carefully over the next few months, Hubbard said. " We hope that
a substantive dialogue will result between Aung San Suu Kyi and
the SLORC, and that Aung San Suu Kyi will be released, the sooner
the better. We also urge that all the other political prisoners
in Burma be released. Based on what we heard in Burma, we would
expect an agreement between the Burmese Government and the ICRC
on prison visit, and if one is achieved, we would welcome
publicly."  Following is the text of Hubbard's remarks:

(begin text)

 SPEECH BY THOMAS HUBBARD, DEPUTY ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF
STATE TO THE FRIENDS OF BURMA AT HARVARD

    NOVEMBER 28, 1994

Thank you for inviting me to come to Cambridge to share my
thoughts on Burma with the "Friends of Burma at Harvard". As a
relatively new friend of Burma, it is both a pleasure and an
honor for me to be here with you on this occasion. I hope we will
have time for a lively exchange of views.

As many of you already know, the United States Government has
conducted an overall review of its Burma policy during the spring
and summer of this year. I chaired the interagency working group
which conducted that review. IN particular, we have focused on
how to make progress on our three most urgent policy objectives:
democratization, human rights, and counternarcotics cooperation.
We considered a wide variety of options and reaffirmed our deep
concern about the situation. The diecision we reached was NOT to
change our message, but rather to change the way in which we
deliver our message. We decided to be more active -- to see if we
could enhance our influence by presenting our strong concerns
more directly to the SLORC.

The policy review reaffirmed our view that it was not the
international community which had somehow "isolated" Burma;
rather Burma had isolated itself through policies that are out of
line with accepted international norms.

Our conclusion: In order for Buma's relationship with the United
States to change, Burma had to change its policies. IN
particular, the current military leadership in Burma ( C" of
State Law and order Restoration Council) has to find a way to
allow the views of the vast majority of Burmese to determine
Burma's political future. As you know better than I, the
overwhelming majority of Burma's citizens voted in 1990 for the
National League for Democracy (NLD).

The second area that must change is the degree of respect for
human rights in Burma. After nearly six years, Aung San Suu Kyi
remains under house arrest; many of her advisors in the National
League for Democracy are in jails or have been hounded out of
Burma into exile.

We receive a steady flow of credible reports of continuing human
rights  violations  in  Burma.  Many of these violations of
interantional norms of conduct occur in connection with forced
labor on civil engineering types of projects, like the Ye-Tavoy
Railway, the Mandalay Moat, and smaller scale road repair and
water/sewerage projects all over Burma, especially "contested
"areas in the ethnic minority townships.

Another major source of human rights violations is forced
proterage for the Burmese military. We have reliable reports of
death and woundings in connection with forced porterage in battle
areas of the Shan State and else where. Press gangs are sent out
by the military to pick up men in villages, some a good distance
away from the location where the actual porterage work is carried
out. Those found and ordered into porterage testify that they are
mistreated, uncompensated, and suffer additional economic losses
by being taken abrouptly away from other crucially important
economic activities, such as harvesting.

Corrroborating evidence for human rights violations  is  the
condition in which many of the Burmese refugees appear in
Thailand. We have been told by the welfare agencies which
minister to them that refugees frequently must enter a facility
for intensive care when they first appear in Thailane. Village
people in Burma are very near the edge of existence, even when
they are simply left alone by the military to endure average
hardships of village live.

Let me now discuss how my recent trip to Rangoon fits into the
context of our overall objectives in Burma.

I  went to burma, representing an inter-agenc cness n Washington,
to voice our concerns directly to the senior leadership of the
SLORC, face-to-face so there would be no possibility of
misunderstanding. I had with me representatives of the National
Security Council and of the human rights and counternarcotics
bureausate Department. I stressed American friendship and
respect for the Burmese people, and made clear that the United
States would like to establish more constructive relations with
the people of Burma.

Our mission was to present two views of the future: one where the
Burmese leadership undertakes steps to improve its performance in
democratization, human rights, and counternarcotics cooperation
with the result that its relationship with the United proves; and
a second vision linked  to  continued  regime intransigence and a
deteriorating relationship with the United States. We made clear
that we vastly preferred the first version, but that the choice
is up to the SLORC.

We were well received in Rangoon, by the leaders and by
those representatives of the broader community who were able to
see at infomlgteigs. Our three -hour meeting with Khin Nyunt
began with a lengthy discussion of recent Burmese history by the
SLORC spokesman. Khin Nyunt stressed the Burmese Army's role in
maintaining Burma's unity. He spoke a  lot  about  national
reconciliation. Not surprisingly, however, he placed more
emphasis on national unity and national security than on human
rights or the establishment of representative government.

He also made very clear the current military leadership's
interest in economic developmant for Burma. He stressed that
Burma seeks foreign investment and access to modern technology.
As I noted above, he made clear that Burma wants narcotics
cooperation with the U.S. The desire for economic development
through international cooperation, ofcourse, represents a
significant break with much of the Ne Win past. I responded that
access to international lending and foreign technology would flow
naturally from respect for human rights and a genuine democratic
opening.

We were disappointed that the SLORC refused our request to meet
with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi or other political prisoners. Allowing
foreigners to meet with these courageous prisoners of conscience
would be reassuring to the international community. It would also
be symbolic of SLORC willingness to reduce its international
isolation. Finally, the United eady to respond.

One cannot visit Burma without feeling a sense of tragedy that a
resource-rich land and vibrant people have been deprived by
repressive government of the progress and prosperity enjoyed by
their neighbours. We would like to see Burma join the Asian
economic miracle, and will do what we can to promote  the
conditioans necessary for that to take place.

We will of course wish to stay in touch with "Friends of Burma at
Harvard," and elsewhere, as we seek to exercise any influence
that we have to promote the kinds of changes that we all seek in
Burma.

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
WEEKEND AUSTRALIAN: HAWKE AND D'ALPUGET QUIZZED ON BURMA TRIP
February 25-26, 1995.

By John Ellicott
Prime minister Mr Bob Hawke and his companion Miss Blanche
d'Alpuget were quizzed yesterday by a Senate inquiry in Sydney
about their private business trip to Burma last month.

Mr Hawke told federal parliamentary Human Rights Committee
hearing at the NSW Parliament his meeting with Burmese military
officials was justified in light of a recent Department of
Foreign Affairs briefing.

Mr Hawke thanked the committee for agreeing to his request to
allow "Miss d'Alpuget" to sit andgive evidence to the inquiry.

Miss d'Alpuget sat alongside Mr Hawke as he read a prepared
statement, before the hearing went into private session.

Mr Hawke said his late-January visit this year with Miss
d'Alpuget to Burma, or Myanmar as he called the country, was
legitimate in the light of an early January Foreign Affairs
briefing which said that  consensus among Association of
South-East Asian Nation ministers was that  contact  with  Burma
was  better  than confrontation.

He told the committee he met the first secretary of the governing
State Law and Order Restoration Council, General Khin Nyunt, and
four government ministers.

"We had been uniformly impressed by the competence, knowkedge and
commitment of these ministers and their associates to the
economic development of Myanmar as a basis for the national and
political advancement of the people of their country," he told
the committee.

"Should we cease trading with Indonesia because our government
and others in the community disapprove of some of Indonesia's
internal policies ?

Here is the crux of the issue. No one including we know,
SLORC,can regard the position in Myanmar as ideal. But the fact
is that many good things are occurring."

The hearing moved in camera and by the time the doors re-opened
Mr Hawke could only be heard saying "rightio" and"see ya" to
committee members.

Outside, a Burmese doctor who was stripped by SLORC of his
licence to practise and now lives in Australia, was warned by a
friend not to confront Mr Hawke as he can be "a very angry man".

Dr Htin Kyaw was one of 10,000 people sacked by SLORC from their
government jobs in 1991-1992 because they had given democratic
answers to a compulsory questionnaire. He said Mr Hawke had lost
his status as statesman by legitimising the SLORC regime with his
visit.

" He will be getting information from the generals who have given
(him) red carpet treatment," he said.

Mr Hawke left with only the Senate committee aware of what his
business in Burma was and having given Mr Hawke the right to edit
the hearing's transcript for public release.

Asked outside if he would be going back to Burma, Mr Hawke said:
"I don't see why not."

Hand in hand, he and Miss d'Alpuget walked to a Commonwealth car
and disappeared into city traffic.

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
CANBERRA TIMES: HAWKE'S CREDIBILITY UNDERMINED
10/2/95

I SUGGEST that Mr Hawke's self-righteous outburst concerning
criticism of his overseas activities and doubts about his
integrity in general (Letters, February  9) sadly serves only to
further undermine his credibility.

He just doesn't seem to want to get the point. As an ex-prime
minister his behaviour is still subject to special public
scrutiny, through th media, at home and occasionally abroad. This
means that his private actions will often unavoidably reflect on
both the office he has held and, in some small way, on the way in
which Australia is perceived overseas.

Mr Hawke maintains that in this regard he shows discretion and
acts "according to the highest standards". When this statement
comes in the same week as his grinning and rapacious multi-page
expose of his recent love life in a circulation-chasing women's
magazine, the question mst be asked, "whose standards?".

In anyone else such timing might be excused as bad luck or as a
momentary lapse in judgment, but there is plenty of recent
evidence other than this and the Myanmar[Burma] business (South
African Embassy, Canberra  Casino,  the  Conrad  Black  stoush,
his self-aggrandising authbiography, even his dodgy 60 minutes
guest slots) to suggest that that  which  Mr  Hawke  regards  as
acting"according to the highest standards" would be characterised
by most people as, at best, indiscretion.

Rather than pursue this futile rearguard defence of his business
morals  or  continue  chasing  desperate  and  ill-considered
opportunities to remain in what I suspect to be an increasingly
jaundiced public eye, Mr Hawke might be better served by, to use
his own phrase, "admitting to error" himself and then giving us
all a break while he searches for his lost dignity.

Then again, perhaps, we should simply be grateful for his recent
record of noticeably discreet behaviour. The alternative is not
pleasant to contemplate.

JULIAN TAYLOR, Yarralumla

********************INTERNATIONAL*****************************
CANBERRA TIMES: LETTER- "HAWKES' WEAK AND VAPID DEFENCE OF
               ENGAGEMENT"
11/2/95

THE POPULATION of Burma is subject to repressive military rule, a
dictatorship of over three decades whose brutal rule bears no
relationship to the will of the people. Instead it has
perpetrated fear, ongoing massive violations of human rights,
decades of civil war in the border areas, economic deprivation
and increasing militarisation.

The latest incarnation of this dictatorship is the SLORC [State
Law and Order Restoration Council], which installed itself after
the mass pro-democracy demonstrations that erupted in 1988. It
has grasped on to power after crushing all opposition --
arresting, jailing, killing -- and despite the aspirations so
clearly demonstrated in the 1990 elections which were also
squashed.

Evidence of the regime's brutality is incontestable, and can be
found everywhere from the stories of hundreds of thousands of
refugees in the border areas and adjacent countries, to the
regime's massive arms purchases, censorship, the detention of
Aung San Suu Kyi, official UN statements, to the latest military
offensive on the Thai-Burma border.

Mr Hawke's weak and vapid defence of engagement with the military
rulers of Burma (Letters, February 9) does not hold up to the
compelling ethical arguments against their support.

His appeal to the comparison of South Africa with its "moral
imperative for sanctions" is curious; but indeed the application
of condemnation  or  even  sanctions  frequently inconsistent in
internatitics.

H.J.LANG, Forrest.

NEWS SOURCES REGULARLY COVERED/ABBREVIATIONS USED BY BURMANET:
 ABSDF: ALL BURMA STUDENT'S DEMOCRATIC FRONT
 AP: ASSOCIATED PRESS
 AFP: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
 AW: ASIAWEEK
 Bt.: THAI BAHT; 25 Bt. EQUALS US$1 (APPROX),
 BBC: BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION
 BKK POST: BANGKOK POST (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 BRC-CM: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-CHIANG MAI
 BRC-J: BURMESE RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN
 CPPSM: C'TEE FOR PUBLICITY OF THE PEOPLE'S STRUGGLE IN MONLAND
 FEER: FAR EAST ECONOMIC REVIEW
 IRRAWADDY: NEWSLETTER PUBLISHED BY BURMA INFORMATION GROUP
 KHRG: KAREN HUMAN RIGHTS GROUP
 KNU: KAREN NATIONAL UNION
 Kt. BURMESE KYAT; UP TO 150 KYAT-US$1 BLACK MARKET
                   106 KYAT US$1-SEMI-OFFICIAL
                   6 KYAT-US$1 OFFICIAL
 MOA: MIRROR OF ARAKAN
 MNA: MYANMAR NEWS AGENCY (SLORC)
 NATION: THE NATION (DAILY NEWSPAPER, BANGKOK)
 NCGUB: NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
 NLM: NEW LIGHT OF MYANMAR (DAILY STATE-RUN NEWSPAPER, RANGOON)
 NMSP: NEW MON STATE PARTY
 RTA.:REC.TRAVEL.ASIA NEWSGROUP
 SCB.:SOC.CULTURE.BURMA NEWSGROUP
 SCT.:SOC.CULTURE.THAI NEWSGROUP
 SEASIA-L: S.E.ASIA BITNET MAILING LIST
 SLORC: STATE LAW AND ORDER RESTORATION COUNCIL
 TAWSJ: THE ASIAN WALL STREET JOURNAL
 UPI: UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL
 USG: UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
 XNA: XINHUA NEWS AGENCY