From A Youth to United Nations....

             * The Roots of World's Poverty and Refugee Crisis *
	It has never before in the history that so many people have been
forcibly uprooted by violence from their homes and societies. The state of the
world is where "persecution, massive human rights violations, and armed
conflicts remain in daily reality," (p. iii 1993 UNHCR's State of World Refugee
Report). All over the third world, the-state-of-art weaponry is being used in
conflicts waged on the terrain of subsistence economies. The rural peasant
families are bearing the brunt of strategies of terrization and social
disruption. The absolute poverty is shaking the third world and the challenge
of international protection for refugees is a mordern crisis in post cold war
era.
	According to 1993 UNHCR's report on refugees crisis, there are
approximately 18.2 million refugees, and there are at least as many again whose
displacement has not taken them across a frontier but who may be no less
destitute. It is daily evidence in the media that those refugees are victims of
war, power conflicts, and ethnic tentions. Human right violations resulted from
war, power conflicts, and ethnic tentions are creating refugees. Therefore, it
is indispensable that international community engage in negotiations to solve
those problems peacefully and internationally.
	I would like to exhort world's leaders to engage in at least three
important points to remedy such a moral dilemma. Firstly, we, the concerners of
human rights abuses and poverty crisis (refugees), must approach those problems
from political standpoint as well as humanitarian standpoint. It is clear that
giving protection to refugees is necessary humanitarian aid, but doing nothing
to stop continuity of abuses by war, power conflicts, and ethnic tentions in
their homeland is not ample treatment for the long term. We have to find out
the roots and cut those to make sure that the future of refugees is safe in
their homeland for the long term. Therefore, human rights problems should link
trade and policies to produce economic growth to projected poverty solution.
	In addition to that, it is very important to universalize the
protection of refugees as it is important to keep human survival. We have to
engage the discussion of international concern over protection of refugees to
prevent world's poverty. I this discussion both powerful nations and developing
nations should highly participatein order to promote peace and security of
third world countries. It will give both moral and economic gain to all nations
in the world. The market for developed and developing nations will become
larger and the third world nations will get opportunity to compete
international market economy, for instances are Cambodia, El Salvador, and etc.
It is important to imagine for nations' leaders that there is no country in the
world developed without peace and open policies.
	Secondly, the legitimacy of human rights in each nation must be
guaranted. In addition, each nation of the world must obliges to bear
responsibility for its own citizens within international framwork and according
to internationally accepted standards. It is self-evidence of the the 20th
century world's refugee crisis that internal policies and practices that causes
large number of people to flee are a threat to international peace and
security. This fact must be widely aware and seriously taken care by the
collective responsibility of international community to enforce the legitimacy
of human rights in each nations. The international community must also find out
the facts to verify that human rights violations is crime against human
dignity. Therefore, basic human rights is universal rights for all people
regardless of race, colour, culture, religion, and nationality. It is important
to remember the fair warning of 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner and American
Civil Rights Leader Mr. King's "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice
everywhere."
	Thirdly, the "international community" that I mentioned in above means
not only the United Nations itself but all the governments of world,
Non-Governmental Organizations, and international agencies. It is time to get
ready to enter into the 21st century with international means of peace and
security. The state of communication technology is one of the useful
instruments to publicize the challenge of prevention of world poverty, and
promote the need to have international human rights justice court.
	Finally, as we develop our physical world, we must also implement the
development of philosophical world in reality in order to prevent to the
backward flow of history. The history has proved that the evils of two World
wars are inhumane. The history has proved that the ugliness of power conflicts
does not bring benefits to humanity. The history has proved that all human in
this diverse world should live in peace to decorate our times and the times of
future generation.

Name----------- Tun Myint
School--------- Indiana University, Bloomington Campus, Indiana, U.S.A
Gender--------- Male