KNU Statement (r)

KNU STATEMENT

On the 7th of March, 10.45 in the morning, our unit in the South were
operating in Karen land when we encountered forces of the Burmese army.
Our forces retaliated against the Burmese army's intrusion. However,
during the cross-fire, certain foreign nationals, who were accompanying
the Burmese army unit might have been killed or injured.

In our struggle against the SLORC military, we, the KNU do not want to
see any foreign nationals killed or injured. However, we assume that any
foreign nationals accompanying any Burmese army units to be foreign
military advisors. By physically being along-side the SLORC military, any
foreign nationals will inevitability put themselves in potential danger.

KNU is willing to work towards economic development. However, only on
condition that genuine political reforms are undertaken to provide peace and
stability in Burma. In addition, the various ethnic groups must be given
fair and equal opportunities in the political , economical and cultural
realm of Burma.

KNU Spokesperson