To Dr. Hla (r)

On 6 Apr 1995 TMYINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: Tun Myint <TMYINT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> From:	PO3::"burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx" "Conference 'reg.burma'"  6-APR-1995 12:03:51.50
> To:	Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> CC:
> Subj:	Re: FutureWork and Burma
>
> From: "Timothy Hla"  <hlatim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Soon Wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am new to this discussion. I am a chinese decent from Burma. I think
> > the way Mr.Tun Myint describe is extremely unfair as chinese and indians
> > in Burma are all opportunitist and they are earning money in unfair way.
> > Also such as"100% Burmese". I think this is racist.
> 		{...................}
> Dr. Hla Wrote;
> *I totally agree with Soon in describing the previous comments from others in
> *this letter as bordering on racist ideology, perhaps coupled with tremendous
> *naivete of the modern world.  I think that it is entirely wrong to say that
> *some people are 100% Burmese and that they are different from the Chinese and
> *Indian immigrants.
> 	Dear Dr. Hla:
> 	Welcome to this discussion and thank you for your participation.  I
> hope you have read the previous three posting of mine concerning this issue.
> Again, I have never said in those posting that Burmese are different from
> Indians and Chinese immigrants in term of deserving basic rights in Burma. I
> said mostly Chinese immigrants enjoy their live in Burma by doing unfair way of

Hi Mr Tun Myint,
My apology for the previous message. The system just cut me off when I
was at the middle of writing. So in this area please read the previous
message.

> making money. I pointed such as the penetration in northern Burma currently. If
> you were ever in Burma in Rangoon, you might had found SOME Chinese in Lathar
> Lan  and Thein Gyi Zay (Thein Gyi Market) sold goods to people differently. If
> you speak Chinese, you will get different price and if you don't you will get
> different price. It was not so obvious, only people who curious could know that.
> I know that because my brother has a shop in Thein Gyi Zay. I every weekend
> helped him accounting.  Anyway, my sister-in-law is Chinese-Karen and she knew
> that and she does not like it too.
>
> 	What do you think the ideology that exist in this case?  How can we not
> let happen such thing in the "future Burma."

Hi,
I have lived in China town too. I know that the kind of the event that
you mentioned above happened. However as I mentioned in previous message,
I have faced with discrimination too. My brother in law was kicked out
from the medical school because they found out that one of his parents is
not Burmese citizen although he himself was born in Burma and a Burmese
citizen. My friend was denied promotion because he is Chinese. If you
were in their shoes how would you react. I doubt you will  still want to
give everybody the same price if you are selling good.

> *Most of the immigrants came to Burma 3-4 generations ago and I am
> *appalled to hear that they are foreigners and that they are out there just to
> *make money unfairly.  This type of chauvinistic and racist thinking is
> *responsible for much of the problems that Burma is facing today.
>
> 	It is not necessarily true. The main problem today is the war between
> the oppressor and oppressed.
>
> *Look at the countries with progressive immigration laws such as US;anyone born
> *in the US and all the naturalized US citizens enjoy 100% of the rights of
> *citizenship and are not discriminated in any way.
>
> 	Dr. Hla, For the point that I am going to make here, the blame shoud go
> to what you have mentioned "coupled with tremendous naivete of modern world."
> All nations and nationalities of all nations are trying to preserve their own
> identity and development of their nations. That means they care a group of
> people who share the same identification as citizens. I here posted this
> discussion to preserve Burma's identity as a nation of Burma's citizens.  If
> the world in reality and its nature does not allow the existences of those
> identities such as American, Chinese, Russian, English or Burmese etc... then
> we do not have to preserve the identity. We all human and ought to live on the
> whole world as a coutry. But no leader or no nation would agree to give up the
> identity of its vision and live like in melting-point.Maybe our grandchildrens'
> days. I would rather like to live like this. But I cannot now. My knowledge and
> my intuition tell me to preserve the identity of my own country.

  What kind of identity are you preserving? Who is American? How do they
look like? Who are the Burmese? Will those people who look like Karen and
have Christian belief be included in your so called Burma's identity?
Who was asking you to give up your identity and vision? Are those Chinese
who live and sell goods in Rangoon's China town asking you to give up
your identity? or those Chinese in norther Burma doing illigal business?
Or may be in your vision of Burma's identity you only include so called
100% Burmese. Not other colour or ethnics.

> 	Therefore, the core point that I want to make here is that if you
> think my point as a "chavaunist and raicist thinking," in the way in which you
> mean as a hard-liner, then you are totally WRONG. I am realist sometimes and
> liberal sometimes. However, what I will never change is that I love the land I
> was born on and I love the identity of Burma. I was born to preserve thme as
> other people of different countries do.

  So you believe only 100% Burmese including members of SLORC will love
the land of Burma. Those who live and sell goods in Rangoon's China town
will not love and are not capable of preserving the identity of Burma
because they do not look like 100% Burmese.

> 	Here I have a question, will you agree or do nothing on the
> situation that is happening right now in Burma under brutal oppressive regime?
> That is many Chinese immigrants currently with the wealth they have in China or
> eslsewhere are getting into Burma and cooperate with SLORC and buying land of
> those local citizens while those local citizens are relocated by FORCE and
> FORCE to abandon their land, by the SLORC.

 What do you want to do here? Kick out all the Chinese in Burma like
Vietnam did or what? My question is who is allowing it to happen? Is it
due to SLORC
or it is because of the Chinese are so wealthy as they suck so much
blood from 100% Burmese.

> people who are foreigners born in Burma don't deserve citizenship. I have never
> said to deny those citizenship rights that any human who live in this globe
> can become a citizen of any country by the law of those country drawn by the
> consent of people.

Do you really believe that the existing constitutions (As far as I know
there are two sets) are drawn by real consent of Burmese citizens? And
they are fair?  I believe your intuition will answer all the above asked
questions.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Eng-Soon Chan