Press Release and Statement

Errors-To:owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
FROM:NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burmese Relief Center--Japan
DATE:May 30, 1995
TIME: 12:13AM JST

Burmese Relief Center Japan
266-27 Ozuku-cho, Kashihara-shi, Nara-ken 634, Japan
Tel: (07442) 2-8236   Fax: (07442) 4-6254
e-mail: NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Burmese Benefit Dinner
Kyoto, Japan
May 28, 1996

STATEMENT and PRESS RELEASE

Exactly five years have passed since the Burmese people voted
overwhelmingly for democracy, and still they are oppressed by a
savage military dictatorship. Incredibly, some observers claim that
the dictatorship has changed in the past five years. The facts are,
however, that SLORC has not become democratic; instead, many
democratic governments have forsaken democracy in favor of
profit-making through a ruse they call "constructive engagement."

In this year alone, SLORC engineered a religious conflict within
the Karen ethnic group, attacked the group (even resorting to the
use of chemical weapons), and sent tens of thousands of villagers
fleeing for their lives into Thailand.  Now Thailand wants to
repatriate the refugees against their will, and Japan wants to help
pay for it.  SLORC has not improved its human rights record;
Thailand and Japan have stained theirs.

This year, tens of thousands of Mon people have been uprooted
and enslaved for a pipeline project they neither want nor will
benefit from.  SLORC has not become kinder and gentler; oil
companies like Nisseki, Unocal, Texaco and Total have become
more ruthless in their greed.

This year, tens of thousands of Muslim Rohingya refugees are
being forcibly repatriated to Arakan State, where continued
religious persecution awaits them.  SLORC has not become more
tolerant; Bangladesh and the UNHCR have become increasingly
hypocritical.

Today, we who cherish democracy and human rights unite in
condemning SLORC and its apologists, and we pledge to exercise
our rights for the benefit of our sisters and brothers in Burma.  We
will write letters, raise money, demonstrate and boycott until they
are free. We know we will win, for the tide is already turning.

This year, Berkeley, California, became the first city to bar
contracts with companies doing business with SLORC; legislation
that helped speed Nelson Mandela from prison to the presidency
will one day do the same for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

This year, clothing manufacturer Eddie Bauer withdrew from
Burma as a result of popular pressure, following Liz Claiborne,
Amoco and Levi Strauss.  We are sure that the growing grassroots
boycotts against Pepsi and Unocal will force even those bitter-enders eventual
ly to surrender to the will of the people.

Here in Japan, we are encouraged that citizens have become
increasingly interested in international affairs, voluntarism, and
their own political rights.  We hope more and more Japanese
people will apply these interests to the benefit of their neighbors in
Burma. Specifically, we call on them to join us in:

*   Condemning their government's resumption of ODA to
SLORC, which harms the Burmese people and squanders the
wealth of the Japanese people

*  Boycotting companies like Nisseki, Daiwa and Marubeni which
do business with SLORC

*  Directly assisting Burmese refugees by cooperating with
Burmese Relief Center--Japan or other Burmese pro-democracy
organizations in Japan

*   Boycotting the SLORC farce of "Visit Myanmar Year-- 1996
"

*  Remembering Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her continued house
arrest on these key dates: June 18-19, to mark her 50th birthday,
July 11, when, by SLORC's own twisted reasoning they must
release her, and July 19-20 when she will have been under house
arrest for six long years.

  Several hundred people visited the Burmese Benefit Bazaar
while more than 60 enjoyed a full-course traditional Burmese
dinner, entertainment and auction in Kyoto.  Well over half a
million yen was raised for Burmese refugee relief.  Birthday
greetings  and signatures were collected on Japanese-style cards
for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
  Participants were invited to take part in the next event in support
of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and Burmese democracy, viz. a
ceremony to celebrate her 50th birthday.  On June 18th, all are
invited to Todaiji's Konshuin (in front of Nigatsudo) where lunch
will be offered to the Sangha at 10:00 AM.  At 1 PM, 50 koi will
be released into Kagami Pond in front of Todaiji, in keeping with
ancient Buddhist tradition called "hojoe" in Japanese and "jivita
dana" in Pali.  In so doing, we will offer prayers for the Nobel
Peace Prize Laureate's own release and for the liberation of all
creatures from imprisonment and suffering.  May all share in this
merit.

For more information on the June 18th ceremony, please contact:
Burmese Relief Center--Japan.