NCGUB Statement on Congressman Rich

Subject: NCGUB Statement on Congressman Richardso

Errors-To:owner-burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
FROM:NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burmese Relief Center--Japan
DATE:June 1, 1995
TIME: 8:28PM JST
NCGUB's Statement on Congressman Richardson's visit

National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
Washington, DC Information Office

STATEMENT ON CONGRESSMAN BILL
RICHARDSON'S VISIT TO BURMA
May 30, 1995

We note with a certain sadness that the visit of Congressman
Bill Richardson to Burma was "a very frustrating trip."  We
had hoped the military regime that had been showing signs of
inflexibility in the past few months would change its stance
and express through Congressman Bill Richardson a desire to
accommodate, if not the demands of the international
community, at least the will of its own people who have very
clearly shown through the 1990 general election that they want
democratic freedom and rights.

We, as Burmese, have known all along the true nature of the
military generals who run our country against the wishes of the
people, and have thus pointed out time and again that the
policy of appeasement will only make them more arrogant,
belligerent and uncompromising.  Much to our disappointment
there are still countries, organizations and individuals, who, for
their own selfish interests, have been advocating a "carrot-only" policy which
 they believe will make the military regime
change for the better.

Our national leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, who remains
under house arrest without any legal justification for six years
now, has posed this question: "There are two schools of
thought on them (economic sanctions) and the controversy
seems never to have been resolved.  People don't want to do
anything that would be harmful to ordinary people.  But is
existing trade with Burma really helping the people or only
allowing the government to dig in its heels?"  And
Congressman Bill Richardson has found the answer to this
through his visit to Burma.  He said, "There is serious
repression, regression and retrenchment by the SLORC in the
area of human rights."

We know it is time for a change, it is time to be firm, and the
time is now.  We agree with Congressman Bill Richardson that
the policy of "constructive engagement" is not working and
that it is time to review the Burma policy.

We urge the United States and the international community at
large to impose economic sanctions and make the military
generals realize that it does not pay to be repressive, belligerent
or unethical.  And this firm policy should continue until the
time the military generals show that they are ready for a
compromise.