Burmese Students Refugee

 Burmese Students' Announcement Regarding the Statement of UNHCR
               Branch Office (Bangkok) dated June 1, 1995
                                  2/95

                                                   June 4, 1995

     We, Burmese students have been living as political refugees
and refuged by UNHCR branch office in Bangkok, Thailand and
participated in pro-democracy movement actively in 1988, Burma.

     A lot of students were forbidden to sign for monthly
allowance on June 1, 1995 and given a letter individually which
encloses an announcement but it has no authority's signature.

     According to the UNHCR branch office's statement, we
understand that UNHCR is going to drive Burmese students into
Safe Area one sidely and by force. We have realized that the so-
called Safe Area is not safe at all and never meets accepted
international standards. Furthermore we are not war refugees but
we are students and have been political asylum in Thailand. We
never accepted temporary stay -permit-cards issued by Ministry of
Interior. Because we don't want to live in internment camp called
Safe Area.

     So we had been having stipend and protection till June, 1995
from UNHCR branch office in Thailand. There are many refugees who
came from various countries and have been living in Bangkok.
Nevertheless only Burmese refugees were driven into the
internment camp. We therefore believe that above perpetration
ignores human rights, freedom and justice.

     We, all Burmese students oppose above perpetration and
complain dignified world's families that UNHCR branch office,
Bangkok ignored human rights and freedom eventhough it was given
an assignment by the United Nations to refugee people who
suffered by the violations of human rights and freedom.

     we inform that the UNHCR branch office, Bangkok must be
responsible organization for future consequence.

                              Burmese Political Refugee Students

cc; UNHCR (FISRAPT, ESCAPE, GENEVA), UN
    EMBASSIES, NGOs

UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEE
Branch Office for Thailand
Telegram: HICOMREF Bangkok
Telephone:2801716/2811671/2829161
Fax:2800555

     NOTICE TO PERSONS OF CONCERN TO UNHCR (MYANMAR NATIONALS)

     THE ROYAL THAI GOVERNMENT POLICY REQUIRES THAT ALL
MYANMAR PERSONS OF CONCERN BE ADMITTED TO THE SAFE AREA, WHERE
THEY WILL BE GIVEN LEGAL STATUS.

     AS OF JULY 1995, UNHCR WILL CHANGE ITS POLICY CONCERNING
THE PROVISION OF ASSISTANCE TO MYAMMAR PERSONS OF CONCERN IN
BANGKOK. EVERY MONTH, A GROUP OF PERSONS WILL BE CHOSEN
ACCORDING TO THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER OF THEIR NI NUMBERS. THEY
WILL BE INFORMED THAT ASSISTANCE WILL NO LONGER BE PROVIDED IN
BANGKOK BUT WILL INSTEAD BE PROVIDED IN THE MANEELOY BURMESE
STUDENT CENTER (SAFE AREA) IN RATCHABURI PROVINCE. THEY WILL E
INFORMED THAT THEY SHOULD TRANSFER TO THE SAFE AREA IN ORDER
TO BENEFIT FROM THIS ASSISTANCE.

     UNHCR HAS DETERMINED THAT THE SAFE AREA MEETS ACCEPTED
INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS FOR THE PROTECTION AND WELFARE OF
REFUGEES. IT IS A SEMI-OPEN CAMP ADMINISTRATED BY THE MINISTRY
OF THE INTERIOR WHERE THE RESIDENTS ARE PROVIDED FOOD,
ACCOMMODATION, COMPREHENSIVE MEDICAL CARE, EDUCATION/VOCATIONAL
TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES AND A MONTHLY ALLOWANCE. THE RESIDENTS
OF THE CAMP CAN REQUEST THE CAMP COMMANDER TO LEAVE THE CAMP
FOR ONE WEEK EVERY MONTH FOR ANY DESTINATION IN THAILAND AND
ARE GRANTED OPPORTUNITIES TO STUDY IN BANGKOK ON UNHCR-
SPONSORED SCHOLARSHIPS. THE RESIDENTS ALSO HAVE PERMENENT AND
UNHINDERED ACCESS TOT HE UNHCR STAFF MEMBER WHO IS BASED
THERE.

     GIVEN THE ABOVE MENTIONED REASONS UNHCR CONSIDERS THAT
ITS IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF ALL MYANMAR PERSONS OF CONCERN
TO LEGALIZE THEIR STATUS BY ENTERING THE SAFE AREA.

UNHCR OFFICE IN THAILAND

UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEE
Branch Office for Thailand
Telegram: HICOMREF Bangkok
Telephone:2801716/2811671/2829161
Fax:2800555

To;  M refugees

Name:------------

NI number: ------------

Date: 1 June, 1995

This is to inform you of an important change in the assistance
that is being provided to you.

No allowance or other assistance for July 1995 and thereafter
will be provided to you in Bangkok.

Arrangements can be made for you to stay at the Burmese
student Central (safe area in Maneeloy), Ratchaburi province,
administered by the Ministry of Interior. UNHCR will provide
you with an appropriate allowance there.

This arrangement is in your best interest as your status,
pursuant to the policy of the Thai Government, can be
legalised in the Safe Area where this is not the case if  you
remain in Bangkok.

UNHCR therefore advise you to report to our office at
Rajdamnern by 15 June 1995 so that administrative and transport
arrangements can be made for your transfer to the Burmese
Student Centre (Safe Area) during the period 15 to 30 June
1995.

The below list is the names of students who were given the
above letter by UNHCR Branch Office in Bangkok.

No.  NI #           NAME

1.  103        Mr. Mohammad Hashin Ali
2.  200        Mr. Thongchai Chit Swe
3.  248        Mr. Maung Kham Phu
4.  938        Mr. Maung Maung Aye
5.  942        Mr. Mg. San Myint
6.  958        Mr. Thet Htun
7.  965        Mr. Nyi Nyi Tin
8.  968        Mr. Tun Myint Kyaw
9.  975        Mr. Tin Htun
10. 977        Mr. Tun Win
11. 991        Mr. Aung Naing Htun
12.1002        Mr. Min San
13.1010        Mr. Kyaw Swa Aung
14.1053        Mr. Ms San Dar Naing
15.1057        Mr. Saw Winston
16.1066        Mr. Aung Ko Ko
17.1069        Mr. Thain Zaw Oo
18.1070        Mr. Kyaw Zaw Aung
19.1093        Mr. Myint Lwin (Bo Bo)
20.1094        Mr. Win Myint
21.1100        Mr. Zaw Myint
22.1104        Mr. Kyi Zaw Moe
23.1105        Mr. Maung Win Tun
24.1130        Mr. Aike San
25.1135        Mr. Kyaw Thein
26.1143        Mr. Ye Ni Win
27.1144        Mr. Myint Thein
28.1146        Mr. Mya Maung
29.1150        Mr. Win Myint Soe
30.1151        Mr. Aye Thwin Thwin
31.1164        Mr. Soe San
32.1174        Mr. Kyi Lwin
33.1178        Mr. Kyaw Si Thu
34.1179        Mr. Myint Cho
35.1180        Mr. Htun Htun Naing
36.1182        Mr. Lwin Htoo
37.1228        Mr. Aung Win
38.1229        Mr. Myat Maw
39.1235        Mr. Tay Zaw Thu Ra
40.1247        Mr. Mg Soe Min
41.1265        Mr. Khin Zaw
42.1272        Mr. Thet Naing Oo
43.1288        Mr. Nay Lin
44.1294        Mr. Nyi Nyi Win
45.1301        Mr. Win Tun
46.1326        Mr. Mg Mg Khant
47.1350        Mr. Khin Pe Oo
48.1355        Mr. Pho San
49.1371        Mr. Aung Gyi
50.1376        Mr. Hla Phone
51.1405        Mr. Myo Set
52.1511        Mr. Hla Thaung

Attention:

     Those who respect human rights and freedom; Governments, Non
Government Organizations and Individuals, we do hope that you all
understand the recent situation of Burmese students in Bangkok.
We therefore would kindly like to request you to support and
help us for our human rights and freedom that we lost.

1.   UNHCR
     Branch Office for Thailand
     Telephone: 2801716/2811671/2829161
     Fax: 2800555
     P.O Box: 2.121, Rajamnam
     Bangkok 10200, Thailand

2.   FISRAPT Office
     No 5, Intramara 35, Suthisarn Road
     Bangkok 10400
     Telephone: 2771753

 3.  United Nations

     New York

4.   UNHCR

     Geneva

Note: Regarding Safe Area, further information about why we do
not want to enter and what have been happening since it opened
will be distributed as soon as possible with concrete documents

Contact Person: Mr. Min San & Nyi Nyi Tin
                FISRAPT Office
                No 5, Intramara 35,
                Suthisarn Road
                Bangkok 10400