A LETTER TO THE AI SECRETARIAT

/* Written 16 June 6:00am 1995 by uneoo@ on igc:reg.burma */
/* ----------------'' A Letter to the AI Secretariat ``--------------- */

[Following is a letter written to the Secretariat, and it is
found to be a late appeal. The Amnesty has already put out a general
action on one of their best known prisoner of conscience on 1 June.
I will ask the local office whether I could repost that material. U Ne Oo.]

DR U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
ST Marys SA 5042
Australia

June 4, 1995.

BURMA RESEARCHER
INTERNATIONAL SECRETARIAT
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
1 EASTON STREET
LONDON WC1X 8 DJ
UNITED KINGDOM

Dear Secretary:

I am a Burmese national independently campaigning for
improvement of human rights situation in Burma. I enclosed
with this letter a petition campaign for the release of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the United Nations to take action
regarding ceasefire and peace settlements in Burma. Because
of the seriousness of the humanitarian situation in Burma,
the international arms embargo has also been suggested.

I have approached various solidarity groups locally for
their support. I should also like to request, on behalf of
people of Burma, to get a professional support from the
Amnesty International regarding the campaign.

Please be assured that this campaign is promoted within the
non-partisan context. To help the desperate situation of
the Burmese refugees, and to arrange their voluntary repatriation
will only be possible if these disputing parties to the conflict
reach a political settlement. I therefore appeal your
organization to support the United Nations to take measures
regarding political settlements in Burma.

Thank you for your kind attention to burma matter. I should
like to thank you and Amnesty International for your
continuing attention to human rights situations in Burma.

Yours sincerely
U NE OO

/* Endreport */