Award for Burma's SLORC prinsoner/w

Subject: Award for Burma's SLORC prinsoner/writer

Newsgroups: bit.listserv.seasia-l
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 11:36:39 -0700
Sender: Southeast Asia Discussion List <SEASIA-L@xxxxxxx>
Subject: PEN/Barbara Goldsmith Awards: San San Nweh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: PEN/Barbara Goldsmith Awards: San San Nweh, Yndamiro

Title: PEN/Barbara Goldsmith Awards: San San Nweh, Yndamiro
Restano 95

PEN/BARBARA GOLDSMITH FREEDOM-TO-WRITE AWARD April 1995

        A few of us writers of realistic fiction keep trying to
        reflect present-day life in our work; we use subtle,
        indirect means, so that the people's cries of longing,
        their unbearable sufferings, can be just faintly heard,
        just dimly perceived.
                                                   --San San Nweh

SAN SAN NWEH, 49, was sentenced to ten years' imprisonment in
Burma for "spreading information injurious to the state" and
"giving one-sided views" to foreign reporters.  The reason
underlying her imprisonment is her active support for Aung San Suu
Kyi, the Nobel laureate whose party won a landslide victory in the
1990 elections but who is held under house arrest by the military
government.  San San Nweh is the author of Prison of Darkness, a
novel, and many other works of fiction and nonfiction.  She is due
for release in 2004.  Her 21-year-old daughter is also imprisoned,
and her family has no means of support while its two main
breadwinners are in captivity.

        *****