LETTER TO SENATOR GARETH EVANS
------------------------------
June 27, 1995.

Senator the Hon. Gareth Evans
Minister for Foreign Affairs
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Dear Senator,

I enclosed with this letters to  the  U.S.  Congressman,  Bill  Richardson,
regarding  his  recent  visit to Burma for ceasefire, peace settlements and
the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. I particularly  wish  the  Senator  to
give attention to the setting up of a Contact Group for Burma.

Current climate suggests there might have been difficulties to include some
European  countries  and  Britain in the contact group. However, Australia,
United States, Japan and Thailand should be considered as the  founders  of
such  a  contact  group  and  extend its contact list to other countries at
later times. I have particularly advocated the NGO community  in  Australia
to  become the participants of such contact group. I am also writing to the
Canadian Government to consider to join to the contact  group.  I  am  most
grateful  for you to make such initiative, which such contact group will be
most vital for future programmes for Burmese democracy.

Finally, I should like to thank the Government of Australia as well as  the
Opposition  and the Senators for your kind attention to Burma matters. I am
very encouraged by all of your kind supports in this work.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
(U NE OO)

cc: Hon. Alexander Downer, Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs,  Parliament
House, Canberra ACT 2600.

*******

A LETTER FROM THE AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL SECRETARIAT
[The  following letter tell us that the Amnesty International do not take a
stand on the issues of embergos - even the arms embargo.  Furthermore,  the
strict  adherence  to its mandate - at regional and national level - by all
members  have  been  remarkable.

The Amnesty's non-political/non-partisan stand is quite well know to us.
>From a Burmese point of view, however, we are in such a desperate situation
that we have to ask for help   from   every  men   and   women,  and  every
organization.    Countries   and   population   that   are   isolated  from
international community, such as Burma or Burmese outside their own country,
the simple awareness of human rights situation in that country amounts to a
form of solidarity. People who have awareness about human rights in here are,
quite naturally, Amnesty members. Not that these men and women, who do have
conscience on human rights, fails to help when  they've  been  called  upon
individually. In this context, I should say I am not at all disappointed.
-- U Ne Oo]

Ref.: ASA/aw
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes road
St Marys SA 5042
Australia

Dear U Ne Oo

        Thank you very much for your recent letter.  Amnesty  International
is a worldwide voluntary movement that works to prevent some of the gravest
violations  by  governments  of people's fundamental human rights. It works
within the framework of a specific and relatively narrow mandate which  has
been  set  by  its  worldwide  membership.  We  are  also  a  non  partisan
organization and therefore we cannot take part in your petition as it calls
for an international arms embargo on Myanmar. I am sorry that we could  not
be of any assistance.

Yours sincerely,
singed. Kelly Dowling
Asia-Pacific Regional Program

*********

LETTER FROM AUSTRALIAN DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND TRADE

Dear Dr U Ne Oo

Thank you for your letter of 18 April regarding peace mediation between the
Myanmar  Government  and  ethic  minorities.  Senator Evans has asked me to
reply on his behalf.

Your views on this subject and recent developments  in  Myanmar  have  been
noted.  The  Australian  Government  remains  committed  to  the pursuit of
greater respect for human rights and the  development  of  more  democratic
systems  of  government  in  Myanmar. We will continue to use all available
avenues, including the UN, to promote positive change.

Yours sincerely
signed. David Pearce
Director
Philippine, Burma, Thailand Section

**********
LETTER FROM HON. ALEXANDER DOWNER
---------------------------------
ALEXANDER DOWNER, M.P.
SHADOW MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS
FEDERAL MEMBER FOR MAYO
76 Mt Barker Rd, Stirling, S.A. 5152

Dear Dr U Ne Oo

I  am  writing  in  response  to your recent letters regarding human rights
abuses in Burma.

The current situation in Burma is of extreme concern to the Coalition.  The
Coalition  is  monitoring  the  crisis  closely, and is doing all it can to
ensure the pro-democracy movement enjoys international support.  Similarly,
the  Coalition  will  continue  to  raise  conceerns  with  the  Australian
Government regarding peace mediation.

The work that you yourself are putting  into  ensuring  a  free  democratic
society  eventuates  in  Burma  is of great importance. We all support your
efforts in this cause.

The Coalition's position on Burma is that we deplore  the  maltreatment  of
Burmese citizens, strongly support the return of the d3mocratically elected
Governemnt and will continue to raise the human rights situation within the
international community.

We have made it quite clear that resumption of Government to Government aid
is dependent upon significant internal reform.

We  are  also  examining  other  means  by  which  to pressure the military
Government to lighten its rule and cede power to the democratically elected
Government.

Thank you for your communications. Please do not  hesitate  to  contact  me
with any furure concerns.

Yours sincerely
signed. Alexander Downer

************
LETTERS TO & FROM HON. CHRIS SCHACHT, SOUTH AUSTRALIAN LABOUR SENATOR
April 24, 1995

Senator the Hon. Chris Schacht
Minister for Small Business, Customs and Construction
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Dear Senator Schacht:

I am a Burmese national presently residing in Australia.  I  have  been  in
Adelaide  for  7  years  as student scholar and - now a refugee. I have the
knowledge that you visited Burma in late 1988 and issued numbers  of  Burma
Reports  in the following year. I thank you for your efforts that have been
made to raise awareness about Burma in Australia. I was one of the audience
when you gave speech about Burma at the Flinders University in 1989, at the
time I was a student.

Nowadays, I myself becoming openly involved in the movement  for  democracy
in  Burma.  As  you know, Adelaide has only very few Burmese. However, I am
able to work as an independent human rights campaigner for Burma  with  the
help  of  good Australians who have conscience on human rights. I must also
say that a good understanding about Burma,  especially  in  Foreign  policy
circle,  has  been  built-up in comparison to the periods of 1988-89  - the
time you have started that work.

I am writing to you for your help in regards to peace mediation of  Burmese
army  and ethnic minority rebels in Burma. For your information, I enclosed
my letters to the Prime Minister of Thailand and Senator Evans. I wish  you
to help raise the issue in Parliament and to give support to the proposal.

Finally,  I  should  like to thank you for your attention to Burma matters.
Your continuing interest in Burma and our human rights movements  are  most
appreciated by Burmese people.

Yours sincerely
(U NE OO)

LETTER IN REPLY
---------------
PARLIEMANT OF AUSTRALIA-THE SENATE
OFFICE OF SENATOR CHRIS SCHACHT

59 Main North Road
Medindie Gardens
S.A. 5081

Dear Dr Oo

Thank  you  for  your facsimile letter dated 24 April 1995 raising concerns
about human rights issues in Burma. Please accept my apology for the  delay
in my response.

Due  to  my  portfolio  responsibilities,  I am now unable to play the same
active role in foreign affairs issues which I have previously,  however,  I
can assure you that I still retain a personal interest in Burma.

I also appreciated receiving copies of the letters you recently sent to the
Minister  for  Foreign  Affairs, Senator The Hon Gareth Evans and the Prime
Minister of Thailand, Mr Chaun Leekpai.

I will forward a copy of your letter addressed  to  me  together  with  the
enclosures, to Senator Evnas, for his consideration.

I will contact you again as soon as I receive a response from him.

Yours sincerely
CHRIS SCHACHT
Labor Senator for South Australia

/* Endreport */