BurmaNet News: July 7, 1995 [#195]

Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 09:09:28 -0700

  ------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 7, 1995
Issue #195

NOTED IN PASSING:

          As the leaders of the SLORC, we would like to repeat that we
          do not want to destroy and cause the collapse of the KNPP
          group.  As for me, I would like to urge U Aung Than Lay that
          to persuade the families who fled into Thailand to comeback to
          their homeland and to cooperate with the SLORC leaders who are
          at the border, in peace.
               Khin Nyunt,  see <SLORC: TEXT OF KHIN NYUNTS LETTER TO
               KARENNI>

1,000-3,000    The number of Karenni refugees who have fled the new
               fighting
2,000          The approximate number of troops fielded by the Karenni
4,000-5,000    The number of SLORC troops "who are at the border, in
                peace."

SLORC: TEXT OF KHIN NYUNTS LETTER TO KARENNI
THE NATION : OFFENSIVES CONTINUES AGAINST KARENNI IN FACE OF PEACE
           MOVE BY SLORC LEADER
AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCH: ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY IN
          BURMA
THE INDEPENDENT:  LETTER FROM JOHN BOORMAN
THE NATION:KHIN NYUNT ON MISSION FOR PEACE WITH ETHNIC REBELS
SCB: SLORC USE OF CHEMICAL WEAPON CONFIRMED
THE NATION: MONK SUSPECTED OF MURDER ARRESTED BY BURMESE POLICE
THE NATION: CRACKS SHOW IN SLORC'S PEACE DRIVE
BURMAWEB:   WWW--EXPANDED AND UPDATED BURMAWEB
NLD (YOUTH) (THAILAND): STATEMENT CONCERNING FORMATION

                             o-------------------------------o
The BurmaNet News is an      |                               |
electronic newspaper         |                  Iti          |
covering Burma.  Articles    |                 snotpo        |
from newspapers, magazines,  |             werthatcor        |
newsletters, the wire        |            ruptsbutfea        |
services and the Internet as |           r.Fearoflosin       |
well as original material    |          gpowercorrupts       |
are published.               |       thosewhowielditand      |
The BurmaNet News  is        |     fearofthescourgeofpowe    |
e-mailed  directly to        |    rcorruptsthosewhoaresub    |
subscribers  and  is         |   jecttoit.Theeffortnecess    |
also  distributed via        |  arytoremainuncorruptedinan   |
the soc.culture.burma        |   environmentwherefearisanint |
and SEASIA-L mailing         |      egralpartisnotimmediat   |
lists and is also            |      elyapparanttothose       |
available via the            |        fortunateenough        |
reg.burma conference on      |         toliveinstates        |
the APC networks.  For a     |         governedbythe         |
free subscription to         |          ruleoflaw...         |
the BurmaNet News, send      |           Fearisahabi         |
an e-mail message to:        |                t.Iam          |
                             |                   no          |
 majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx       |                  taf          |
                             |                   ra          |
In the body of the message,  |                  id.          |
type: subscribe BURMANEWS-L  |                  Aun          |
[news only mailing list],    |                  gSa          |
or, for the news+discussion  |                  nS           |
list, type:                  |                   uu          |
   subscribe BURMANET-L      |                   Ky          |
                             |                   i.          |
Correspondance and letters   o-------------------------------o
to the editor should be addressed to: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma.  The scope of the subjects involved is simply
too broad for any one person to cover.  BurmaNet is therefore
organizing a number of volunteer coordinators to field questions on
various subjects.  If you have questions on any of the following
subjects, please direct email to the following coordinators, who will
either answer your question or try to put you in contact with someone
who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-   [volunteer needed]
Bangladesh border
Art/archaeology/:        [volunteer needed]
Campus activism:
Boycott campaigns:
Buddhism:                Buddhist Relief Mission,
                         c/o NBH03114@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:    plilian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                   tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:        zar1963@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kachin history/culture:  74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture:   102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                         Karen Historical Society
Mon history/culture:     [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
[Burma-India border]
Pali literature:         "Palmleaf"
                         c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:    [volunteer needed]
Share holder activism:      frdc@xxxxxxxxxxx      "Attn. S. Billeness"
Tourism campaigns:       bagp@xxxxxxxxxx          "Attn. S. Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:          FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:            Dr. Christina Fink
                         christin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

SLORC: TEXT OF KHIN NYUNT'S LETTER TO KARENNI

     General Secretary (1)                   Date: 1995, July 3rd
     State Law and Order Restoration Council

To: U Aung Than Lay [Prime Minister, KNPP]

On behalf of the State government and ethnic armed groups, based on the
invitatoin of SLORC, we completed negotiations with the KNPP to abandon
armed struggle and join to the legal fold on March 21st, 199.

Attempts have been made to reach this condition with the use of
mediators and delagates from both sides over several years.  Finally we
acheived agreements and passed various difficulties.

Thus, no one could foresee the easy collapse of the peace we bult.  I do
not want it to be this way.  Similarly, I believe that U Aung Than Lay
would be of the same mind as me.

The present situation in Kayah State, especially at the border with the
entry of the Tatmadaw has caused suspicion and unnecessary events to
occur.  In fact, the entry of the Tatmadaw columns were not aimed to
destory the KPP armed group.  The entry of the Tatmadaw was in order to
protect the benefits and security of the state.  But the local
commanders acted without orders from higher authorities in Rangoon.

As the leaders of the SLORC, we would like to repeat that we do not want
to destroy and cause the collapse of the KNPP group.  As for me, I would
like to urge U Aung Than Lay that to persuade the families who fled into
Thailand to comeback to their homeland and to cooperated with the SLORC
leaders who are at the border, in peace.

If possible, I am inviting U Aung Than Lay and the other KNPP leaders to
make a visit to Loikaw to create peace and development.

"Remain with joined hands", I wish for a lasting peace and development.

     Sincerely,

     /signed/ Khin Nyunt

THE NATION : OFFENSIVES CONTINUES AGAINST KARENNI IN FACE OF PEACE
           MOVE BY SLORC LEADER

The Nation/6.7.95

The Burmese Army yesterday continued its attack on an ethnic
Karenni guerrilla base despite a call on Tuesday by a senior
Burmese junta leader for the ethnic group to keep the peace.

One Burmese soldier was killed and another wounded during the
attack yesterday south of Kauk Kauk Hill, which is about 3
kilometers from the Thai border at Mae Hong Son's Khun Yuam
district, according to a Karenni National Progressive Party
source. There were no KNPP casualties, he said.

The source declined to reveal the size of the Karenni force. He
did not know the exact strength of the attacking force, but said
about 4,000 Burmese troops had crossed the Salween River to the
KNPP controlled east bank.

Intelligence sources at the border and in Bangkok said the
breakdown of the bilateral ceasefire between the Karenni and the
ruling Burmese State Law and Order Restoration Council (Slorc)
was partly due to the timber business, licenses for which were
given out by both sides.

Slorc had given a concession to a Singaporean company, the
Billion Group, to extract logs from the KNPP areas, while the
ethnic group had allowed Thai companies to buy and take out logs
from its territory.

Slorc in late 1993 imposed a ban on border timber felling and
exporting of logs to Thailand. All logs have to be taken to
government-authorized saw mills or exported through Rangoon port.

A KNPP source said Slorc had earlier given 10 million Kyat (USS
equals 6 kyat at the official rate but gets 120-130 on the black
market) to the KNPP for development projects in the border area,
but Rangoon later informed them the money was in fact for logs
that were to be extracted by the Singaporean firm.

The source said the area's natural resources belonged to the
Karenni people and Rangoon had no right to exploit it.

Intelligence sources said SLORC's which to control some of the
border areas under the control of the KNPP could be another cause
of the clashes, which began last Friday.

On Tuesday, Slorc leader Lt Gen Khin Nyunt, who initiated
ceasefire negotiations with armed ethnic groups across the
country, travelled to eastern Karenni State where he urged the
KNPP to maintain the peace.

He appealed to the group not to let the peace in the Karenni
State be jeopardized and said the fighting was caused by a
misunderstanding.

The Karenni source said Slorc had tried to improve the situation
and urged Christian clergymen, who used to mediate in Slorc-KNPP
peace talks, to help intervene to end the fighting.

It's just another trick. They are trying to use clergymen to talk
with the KNPP again, said the source, Most of the ethnic Burmese
population in remote border areas were christianised during the
colonial period.

The source added that since Slorc had advanced its troops onto
the east bank of the Salween River, the KNPP was doing the same
thing by moving its forces to attack the Burmese outposts on the
west bank.

KNPP forces on Tuesday ambushed a convoy of four trucks carrying
Burmese reinforcements between Shadaw and Loikaw and destroyed
one vehicle. They also attacked two trucks near Demahso.
overturning one.

AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCH: ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY IN
          BURMA (ALSO CALLED MYANMAR)

NOTE: The American Baptist Biennial Meeting in Syracuse on June 27
passed a
resolution calling for a boycott of companies doing business in Burma.
The following statement was issued at the meeting:

1       At the 1993 Biennial Convention in San Jose, we adopted a
Statement of
2       concern on this subject, criticizing the tyranny of the State
Law and Order
3       Restoration Council (SLORC), the Burmese Government.  The
statement included
4       the following:
5       "C.     We call upon American companies operating in Burma
6                to explore the ramifications of their present business
7                interests.

8       D.      Because Pepsico, Amoco and Textron have admitted their
9               presence in Burma, whose presence has supplied tax
10              monies to SLORC with no benefit to the people, we urge
11              Bapticts to advise ethical investment funds to not
12              invest in those named companies."
13      These calls were consistent with Aung San Suu Kyi's request that
foreign
14      investment in Burma be boycotted.  Since then, little has
changed.  Unoc
al,
15      Pepsi and Texaco continue to do business in Burma by paying
substantial
16      "taxes" to the military SLORC.  Burma continues to have one of
the world's
17      worst human rights violations, and the SLORC continues to refuse
to seat the
18      officials elected in 1990.  Although the SLORC has consented to
19      Constitutional Convention, this has been primarily
window-dressing, with only
20      a few chapters written to date, after one year of deliberations.
Meanwhile,
21      the SLORC army has overwhelmed one of the Karen strongholds at
Manerplaw,
22      forcing an excess of 70,000 refugees to flee to Thailand.  Such
is not the
23      action of a government seeking justice.
 24     Cities in the United States have taken the next step in
pressuring the
25      SLORC to mend its ways.  For example, on February 28, Berkeley,
CA voted
26      to ban all city contracts with companies doing business in
Burma, of which
27      Pepsi, Unocal and Texaco continue to be the leaders.
28      Therefore,
29      Recognizing that we have an historic and successful parallel in
30        resisting apartheid in S. Africa, and

31      Recognizing that tyrannical peace in Burma that lacks any
justice is a
32        travesty of the Christian gospel, we:
33      A.      Again call upon the SLORC to turn over the government of
34              Burma to the rightfully elected opposition leaders;
35      B.      Call upon the ABC of the USA, all member Baptist
36              churches, and members of those churches, to refuse to
37              sign business contracts with American companies doing
38              business in Burma, and with specifically Pepsi, Unocal
39              and Texaco; and
40      C.      Inform those companies and the public that we are so
41              refusing.

//end text//

THE INDEPENDENT:  LETTER FROM JOHN BOORMAN

"Tourism Funds the Tyrants of Burma
>From Mr John Boorman

>From The Independent, Letters to the Editor, July 6, 1995

        Sir: The marriage of convenience between a newspaper's editorial
and advertising content is a necessity we accept, but as the industry's
own
codes of conduct recognise, there are limits.  It was disappointing
therefore to see that you accepted a full-page advertisement in the
"Independent Magazine" (1 July) for tourism in Burma.
        Your readers who may be tempted should be aware that slave labor
has been widely employed to improve roads and facilities, to bring them
up
to levels expected by Western travellers.  They should also know that
SLORC, the Burmese military dictatorship, needs their money to buy even
more arms in order to continue to wage war on their ethnic minorities,
and
that the elected leader of Burma, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, is entering her
seventh year of imprisonment without trial in Rangoon.

Yours sincerely,

JOHN BOORMAN
Annamoe, Co Wicklow
2 July

FYI: John Boorman is the Director of "Beyond Rangoon" which will be
released in the US on August 18, 1995.

THE NATION:KHIN NYUNT ON MISSION FOR PEACE WITH ETHNIC REBELS

Powerful Burmese military intelligence chief Lt Gen Khin Nyunt
travelled to eastern Kayah state yesterday to urge an ethnic
minority guerrilla group to maintain peace, an army spokesman said.

Last week, a three-month-old ceasefire between the guerrilla group,
the Karenni National Progressive Party (KNPP), and the Burmese army
broke down.

Khin Nyunt said the KNPP had opened fire on Burmese soldiers because
of a misunderstanding.

Two regiment of government troops have been sent into areas of Kayah
state bordering Thailand to implement security measures and prevent
Thai loggers from taking out timber, the spokesman quoted Khin Nyunt
as telling local people in Loikaw, the state capital.

Khin Nyunt appealed to the KNPP not to let the peace in Kayah state
be jeopardized and he denounced unidentified Western countries he
said were trying to "drive a wedge" between the government and the
KNPP.

A KNPP official said in Bangkok that fighting broke out in least two
areas near the Thai border last Friday in what he described as a
synchronized Burmese army attack. Clashes continued over the
weekend, the official said.

Burmese troops had broken an agreement not to press-gang civilians
for use as porters and had then moved in force into the KNPP's
agreed zone of control, he said.

The KNPP is one of 15 guerrilla forces which have reached ceasefire
agreements with the military government since 1989.

Another Karenni source said yesterday that Burmese troops were
pressing towards three Karenni bases in eastern Burma but had taken
some casualties following hit-and-run attacks by the ethnic group's
guerrilla forces.

Sporadic clashes were reported across Karenni-designated areas of
Kayah, the KNPP source said, adding that heavy fighting had been
reported near the group's base at Hta Na Khwe.

Between 4,000 and 5,000 Burmese troops from 18 battalions including
some sent down from Shan state were involved in the operation, the
source said by telephone from the Thai border town of Mae Hong Son.

The source said that up to 30 Burmese troops were believed to have
been killed by Karenni guerrillas, but added that the reports had
not been confirmed and that casualties sustained by the ethnic group
were not available.

The KNPP had about 2,000 men under arms, the source said. The source
said Rangoon had informed the KNPP that the operation was to stop
Burmese timber from being stolen and taken across the border to
Thailand.

The Karenni have rejected that explanation, saying that Rangoon was
aiming to capture bases along the border with Thailand at Hta Na
Khwe and Nam Oon in the northeast of Kayah, and Kauk Kauk in the
southeast.

A base at Mae Surin in the southeast of the state earlier believed
to be a target had already been by-passed, the source said.

The source said that some 1,500 people had crossed the border into
Thailand ahead of the Burmese advance.

The KNPP reports, which could not be independently verified, came
after Rangoon signed a treaty with Mon ethnic rebels on Thursday and
announced that only one insurgency the Karen National Union remained
in Burma. (TN)

SCB: SLORC USE OF CHEMICAL WEAPON CONFIRMED
tun     soc.culture.burma       11:06 AM  Jul  6, 1995
(at macpsy.ucsf.EDU)

Subject: SLORC use of chemical weapon confirmed

Some of you might know this already.

I've met with Edith Mirente, author of Burmese Looking Glass, while she
was in San Francisco during the 4th of July weekend. Result on a piece
of clothing came back from the lab confirming that Slimy Lunatics of
Oppression and Repression Council (SLORC) used pesticide in higly
concentrated form was used to drive of KNU from Kamowra (Wang Kha) back
in Feb.

Louisa Benson-Craig have more information.

Ct

THE NATION: MONK SUSPECTED OF MURDER ARRESTED BY BURMESE POLICE

A Burmese monk accused of killing an elderly woman and stabbing
three people in Thailand has been arrested by Burmese police, a
senior policeman said yesterday.

The arrest came about as one of the victims informed his Burmese
relative, a police captain in Burma, about the incident and he made
the arrest, said Pol Lt Col Namchai Chotiprayoon, investigation
inspector at the Bang Khen police station.

The monk, identified as Yu Manita, 30, was accused of drugging and
then stabbing to death Sawart Sri-amnuay, 64, and injuring her
pregnant daughter and two Burmese men, last Tuesday, at their house
in Bang Khen district. He also allegedly stole valuables worth
hundreds of thousands of baht.

The monk later fled to Burma. Pol Lt Col Namchai expressed concern
that the suspect might not be returned to face charges "because
Thailand has no extradition threaty with Burma".

He said police would urge the Foreign Ministry to seek the suspect's
extradition. "But I don't think Burma will extradite him. We will
have to wait and see if they ask for any evidence from us to change
the monk themselves," he said.

The suspect was arrested in Rangoon, a police source said. In an
initial investigation in Burma, the monk said that after finding out
Sawart had sold a plot of land for about Bt3 million, he planned to
steal the money, the source said.

After arriving at the house, supposedly to perform a religious rite
to ward off evil spirits, he drugged the six victims. Sawart,
though, woke and cried for help, prompting him to kill her, the monk
was quoted as telling Burmese police. (TN)

THE NATION: CRACKS SHOW IN SLORC'S PEACE DRIVE
July 5

Only one day after the Burmese junta struck  a ceasefire agreement
with ethnic Mon guerrillas last Thursday, its truce with another
armed ethnic group, the Karenni National Progressive Party, broke
down and both sides have since been locked in fighting that has
uprooted roughly another 1,500 people their homes.

Although the actual causes of the new fighting have yet to be
ascertained, the clashes confirm the well_founded fear that the
ceasefires that Rangoon has struck with the different ethnic groups
remain very fragile and temporary. They do not guarantee lasting
peace in the border areas, where those groups retain their arms and
strength.

Though the KNPP was the last party, just before the Mon ethnic
brothers_in arms, to reach a truce deal with the ruling State Law
and Order Restoration Council [slorc] and the first to resume
hostilities, other ethnic guerrilla groups, such as the powerful Wa
forces in northern Shan State, have often threatened to tear up
their bilateral peace pacts with Rangoon and return to armed
struggle.

The United Wa State Party [UWSP], which was one of the first parties
to sign a ceasefire agreement with the Slorc in early 1989, has not
been happy with the Slorc's increasing demands for it to withdraw
its troops from several areas within its territory and to reduce its
armed strength and weaponry.

Unlike the strong Kachin Independence Organization in Burma's
northern_most Kachin State which often resorts to negotiations with
the Slorc to settle similar disputes, the Wa, with its 25,000_30,000
troops including militia forces, has never held back from publicly
airing its dissatisfaction about the situation and had repeatedly
threatened to go back to fighting to maintain the status quo in both
land and power.

Last October, the Wa spearheaded the formation of the Peace and
Democratic Front, a new alliance of eight armed ethnic groups which
have reached ceasefires with Rangoon, as part of an effort to
protect ethnic rights and autonomy. The new group sprang up only a
month after Slorc leader Lt Gen Khin Nyunt announced that the whole
Shan State was now free of ethnic insurgency.

In the south, representatives of the New Mon State Party [NMSP]
still decline to reveal the details of their discussions and truce
deal with the Slorc. The Mon delegation, which returned to its
border base from Moulmein where the highly publicized ceasefire
ceremony was held on June 29, will hold a central committee meeting
before issuing a public statement on its ceasefire with the Slorc.

MON BREAKTHROUGH

After failing in four previous rounds of talks to find agreement
over the preconditions for a ceasefire, and in particular the
delimitation of NMSP territory, the Mons and Slorc finally reached a
settlement in early June.

Well_informed Thai and Mon sources in Bangkok and Kanchanaburi
attributed the resumption of the May 30 _ June 10 talks after an
11_month pause to the peace efforts of two elected Mon MPs from
Moulmein, who have assisted the group in negotiating with the Slorc.
The two MPs had made two trips as semi_mediators to the border for
meetings with senior NMSP leaders and proposed to help both sides
break the long full i not to establish any
physical boundary between the areas controlled by them and that
civilians and villagers could travel freely to either side without
hindrance from the two parties. however,, armed forces would have to
first inform and seek permissif local villagers and
forced conscription of civilians as porters.

While it is not known if both sides have reached any agreement on
the future of about 11,000 Mon refugees upprovided by private relief
agencies
operating in Thailand_ the plan to relocate Pa Yaw and Halockhani,
two of the four existing camps will go ahead, probably in the next
few months after the rainy season.

REFUGEES CONCERNS

The ceasefire agreement is only a half_way solution and is different
from a comprehensive peace deal or settlement. The ceasefire does
not mean that peace already prevails in Burma, said a relief worker
in a recent interview.

The worasefire is stuck. In an interview yesterday, a member of the Mon
Refugee Committee said he did not know whether and to what extent
the refugee assistance and development projects were covered and
ry nature can beled to last the monsoon period when road
seen from the eruption of fighting  between the Burmese army and the
Karenni National Progressive Party [KNPP], which became the 14th
group to reach a bilateral truce with 6_point agreement which stipulated
no acts of aggression in each other's territories. The KNPP
refusal prompted the Burmese army to send about 4,000 men across the
Salween River to the east bank where both sides have sine last
Fridamese students taking refugee in the
area, it does prove and confirm a fundamental fear of Slorc
aggression and its unrelenting policy and tendency to use force to
suppress opposition or dislorc peace accord with interest and concern as
the
two ethnic groups have been active in several over_lapping
territories in southern Burma and the truce could indirectly affect
KNU operations in those areas.

A senior KNU officer said a KNU unilaterady broken down because the
Slorc
had not positively responded to the initiative. On the contrary, the
Slorc had sent more troops to attack and capture more Karen bases
along the Thai_Burmese border. Thus KNU leader Gen Bo Mya officially
revoke the trucge number of people from three
villages to flee into the jungle.

While he predicted a resumption of a heavy Burmese military
offensive  against the KNU now that a Mon_Slorc truce has been
group militarily and politically to cut its bargaining position and
negotiation conditions, and try to strike the most concessions from
any deal.

The observers believe that the KNU,though weakened after the fall of
its headquarters and several camps.

BURMAWEB:   WWW--Expanded and Updated BurmaWeb
Burma Support Gr        reg.burma        6:54 AM  Jul  5, 1995

<tormod.lien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                        WHAT HAVE WE BEEN UP TO?

Since April 1995, BurmaWeb has updated links and expanded to include:

+ The most comprehensive index on WWW for Burma info
+ Incorporating most other websites
+ Alphabetical and country address lists
+ Aung San Suu Kyi Month Events, Info & Ideas
+ "BurmaNet News" from 1994
+ Articles on various topics from different groups
 ...and many publications!

Coming soon:

_ Karen Human Rights Reports, 1992-1994
_ Articles in Spanish & other languages
_ Burma articles from 1995; catagorized by topics
_ Updated Aung San Suu Kyi Anthology
- Search Engine for Burma abbreviations & unfamiliar words
 ...and much more with your contributions...

                         BurmaWeb needs YOUR help
                        __________________________

In order to keep the informaion on BurmaWeb up-to-date, the Burma
Support Group
depents on the support of many hardworking groups and individuals from
around
the world.

Please, if you have information in electronic form, or even hard copies,
don't
hesitate to contact BSG. We will try our best to include this
information, and
if you would like any special format, indexing or personal mention
please let
us know.

Our aims are to include as many groups as possible in this undertaking,
as well
as keep our information as comprehensive and accessible as possible. If
you have
any comments, questions or suggestions, please contact us.

Things BurmaWeb is especially in need of:

       Accurate addresses, corrections and group biographies
       Current events information
       Activities in your area
       Articles or info relevant to any of the topics
       Hints and suggestions about layout, content, indexing, and so
on...
       Maps and Photographs
       New Websites involving Burma

Thank you for your continued support!

WEB TEAM
Burma Support Group
_________________________________

Email: tormodl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
WWW:   http://www.uio.no/~tormodl

NLD (YOUTH) (THAILAND): STATEMENT CONCERNING FORMATION

Date 7 July, 1995

        We those who are youth and students have bed the
pro-democracy movements with the simply noble spirit
on the right historic route since the military
dictators stated the creation of the one party
system in Burma. Having sacrificed our sweat, blood
and lives in the 1988 nation wide democracy up
risinng, we have been fighting against militarism
without self-interest. On to the democracy fighting
way that was led by youth and students, abiding
their lives, the entire people of have fulling
cooperated in political activities.
The military dictators foresaw these situations
with horror and seized me state power on 18
September, 1988. NLD was formed and based on
students, despairing youth and ethnic nationalities
under the circumstances Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the
general secretary of NLD, formed The National League
for Democracy (Youth) and December 1988. It has
resisted in various ways in the cooperation with the
anti-dictatorial organizations fighting in internal
Burma and revolutions areas.
After arresting our leader Daw Aung San  Suu Kyi
on July 20, 1989, the NLD (youth) has continued its
struggle for democracy. The leader of the NLD
(Youth) were also arrested and some  leaders had to
flee to revolutions areas and  abroad. The NLD
(Youth) internal Burma almost disappears gradually
under several oppression and severe torture by the
brutal regime.
Nation League for Democracy was also under
immovable situations owing to illegal act unlawfully
and forcibly adopted by military junta. To implement
its struggle , the NLD leaders and members had
therefore  came to Manepolaw and established the NLD
(LA) to carry out the responsibility of democracy
movements . The NLD (LA) has been fighting against
the SLORC, hanging together with ethnic
revolutionary and democratic forces.
Being unable to take part in political activities
for democracy, due to arrests, torture and inhuman
treatment, the NLD (Youth) who are in abroad now ,
have reunited again to continue the struggle,
according to policy adopted  and led by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi that we have absolutely accepted
We release our attitude as the main policy of the
NLD.
-to be sincerely honest with mutual respectation
-to compromise national reconciliation
-to practise non-violent  methods
-to bring on amalgamating without grudge
 We firmly vow that we will collaborate with
democratic forces and ethnic revolution group, which
have been fighting against the military dictatorship
without self-interest, and we will oppose the
actions of  those who take opportunity for
themselves under the name of democracy revolution
 .We make known clearly this statement concerning
formation for NLD (Youth) on 7 July 1995 of the
historic 33 anniversary day.

Leading Committee
Natational League for Democracy (Youth) Thailand

/END BURMANET NEWS/