KYO-USA's Statement on the Release

Subject: KYO-USA's Statement on the Release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi

July 11, 1995

The Karen Youth Organization of the United States of America (KYO-USA)
applaud the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi by the SLORC.  We sincerely
hope that this first step will mark a transition to genuine Democracy which
the people of Burma have long expressed as their ideal government.

However, there is much that needs to transpire before we can be assured
that the SLORC  is acting in good faith and has the best interests of all the
people of Burma.  Unresolved human rights abuses remain unaddressed,
continued repressive military campaigns are still in progress against the
Karens, the Karennis, and other indigenous people, and imprisonment of
thousands of political prisoners of conscience remains unresolved.

Reconciliation is desired, but should not be sacrificed for the sake of
expediency.  We will continue to work with and urge the international
communities to exert whatever additional pressure needed, to convince
the SLORC to continue and expand the efforts which has just begun to
bring about Democracy in Burma.