Second Press conference of Daw Aung

Subject: Second Press conference of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on 12/7/95

Aung San Suu Kyi meets the press for second day

RANGOON-  Aung San Suu Kyi met the press today for the second day
after being released from house arrest, and made another
appearance at the gate to her family compound to thank her
supporters. Visibly happy at the contact with the crowd, she
repeated the message she had given the day before: "You must have
patient, courage and control yourselves."

She had still not left the compound, however, even though the
junta said she was free to do so.

She had undergone a medical check-up in the morning although she
felt very fit.

She told reporters that she drew strength from the people and
appreciated that they responded to her as a person rather than as
a national figure or symbol.

She said today she will resume her political activities now that
she has been freed from house arrest.

"The authorities do know that I will be active politically
because I consider myself a politician." she added.

She also told hundreds of people waited at her gate that she
would " continue to do what I have to do".

Slorc military junta has lifted a ban on the issuing of visa to
Michael Aris who last visited Rangoon in December 1994 with Kim,
official sources said today.

On the reason for her release, she said, "I think they thought
probably this is the right time because I should have been
released three years ago. They changed the law. I should have
been released last year but interpretation of the law has been
changed to hold me further."

"They would have had to change the law again to hold me further.
Legally this is the right time," she said.

Asked about her future leadership role, she said, "it is very
dangerous to talk about your leadership role. It is for the
people to decide and that is the sense of democracy."

She today warned her supporters not expect too much too quickly.
There is always a danger. The way is not going to be all that
smooth. I would like to warn my supporters not to expect too much
too quickly," she told reporters today at her residence.

"As long as we have a will and as long as we go about it
intelligently we will get there, she said in reference to the
goal of democracy.

Asked when she expected democracy to be achieved, she said, she
would not speculate, but that would be better as quickly as
possible. "Most important point for us is to keep our eyes very
steadily in our goals. We have got to be brave but not
foolhardy," she added.

To a question about her view on the role of the military in
future politics, she said "It is not the sorts of things we are
working for when we started the movement for democracy.
Everything is open to negotiation and all political problems can
be solved through goodwill and compromise."

She said she was meeting pro-democracy colleagues, and had not
yet decided what her next steps would be.

"I think it will probably be another week or two before I can say
anything definite, because it takes times. we have to organise...
and in the next week or two we'll know how things are working
out.

She said she had no plans for public rallies or meetings until
she had further consultations with colleagues.

Burmese opposition groups say they will continue fighting until
the junta release all political prisoners, abolish repressive
laws and starts dialogue on  national reconciliation.

Daw Aung San Suu kyi said today she guessed there were about 40
fairly well known dissidents still in jail. "I have asked for the
lists." she said.

She said today that democracy was on its way to Burma but appeal
to her supporters to be patient.

Speaking through a megaphone from behind her front gate, Suu Kyi
thanked about 800 supporters waiting outside her home, saying she
was grateful for their support and encouragement.

The crowd cheered "Long live Aung San Suu Kyi"  several times
after her brief impromptu speech.

The crowd, which steadily grew throughout the day, quietly
dispersed after her speech in which she also urged them to leave
and clear the road for traffic "as a good omen for our cause."

"It all depends on the people, and if the people are brave,
patient and persevering we can achieve our goals", she said.

By tonight, there had still been no official announcement of her
release by the SLORC.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said she was not surprised her release had
not been announced in the Burmese media. "Nothing surprised me.
After what I've gone through the last six years, I'd be very
silly if I let myself get surprised."

# A Slorc delegation which was led by U Aung Myint(head of the
directorate for investment of the ministry for national planning
and economic development, currently visiting Tokyo to seek large-
skill assistance from Japan, two day after the release of her.

# In KNPP area, after occupying the 99 camp and Maesurin camp, the
Slorc troops have been raising the white flag which indicates to
stop firing. But another report said, three more Slorc battalions
ware sent to Myawaddy today and it seems to fight against the KNU
very soon.

# A rumours about Lt Gen. Khin Nyunt's disagreement for her release
of Aung San Suu Kyi is spreading in BKK. Some say inside Burma
that Khin Nyunt was not at a Slorc hi-level meeting today and his
normal chair was used by Lt Gen Tin Oo. It seems to be something
happening in the Slorc.

(ABSDF RESEARCH DEPARTMENT)