Senator McConnell's Press Conferenc

For Immediate Release
July 12, 1995
95-105

			STATEMENT OF U.S. SENATOR MITCH MCCONNELL
				ON SANCTIONS AGAINST BURMA
As many of you know, I had planned to introduce legislation this week to ban U.S.
investment and trade with Burma and suspend our bilateral and multilateral assistance to
countries which trade with Burma.  The legislation would have also required the President to
negotiate agreements with other nations to secure support for sanctions.  Included in your
press packages, you will find a summary of the legislation.

In drafting the bill I consulted with Burmese students, ethnic leaders, democracy
advocates and associates of Suu Kyi's.  Each and every one supported sanctions as a means to
pressure political and economic change in Burma, just as I believe they did in South Africa. I
think we should pay attention to the fact that her first official statement Suu Kyi draws a
comparison between Burma and South Africa twice remembering Nelson Mandela was
released from prison in February 1990, yet did not call for sanctions to be lifted until
November of 1993.

Suu Kyi's release has strengthened our individual and collective determination to fully
implement the results of the 1990 elections when the National League for Democracy carried
392 seats in the Parliament.  her released has raised our hopes that all political prisoners will
be released, that forced relocations, forced labor, detentions, beatings, rape and confiscation of
property by the Army will stop.  After six years, I hope her release is the first step beginning
an era in which all the people of Burma will be guaranteed the right to free speech, peaceful
assembly and association, and an active role in an open political process.

I do not want to minimize the importance of Suu Kyi's release, both for her family and her
nation.  However, it is just one step -- albeit a very important step -- in a broader
process that must begin immediately.

In the last 48 hours a number of government officials around the world have suggested
Suu Kyi's release should prompt the resumption of economic aid and trade ties.  I believe any
such decisions are premature and ill advised.

It is my intention to carefully monitor progress in the next two weeks in Burma.  If
there are not concrete steps taken to initiate a process of national reconciliation, to formalize
the transfer of power to a civilian government, and correct the appalling record of human
rights abuses, I will move forward with my legislation.

Specially, I want to see the following conditions met:

Suu Kyi has called for a dialogue with the SLORC to negotiate the peaceful
transfer of power.  In her statement she takes note of the fact that a majority of the people of
Burma voted for democracy and a market economy in 1990.  The dialogue to set Burma on
the road to economic and political recovery should begin immediately and as she indicates
without pre-conditions.

Suu Kyi must continue to be afforded the opportunity to meet with her political
supporters, both privately and publicly.  It is essential that she has freedom of movement and
speech, and that her supporters and the press enjoy the same rights.

Last month the International Red Cross announced plans to withdraw from Burma
because SLORC had refused to grant unsupervised, regular access to political prisoners.  In
her statement, Suu Kyi urged SLORC to release all political prisoners, including the sixteen
elected members of parliament and hundreds of other NLD leaders and supporters -- I hope
this occurs promptly.  In the interim, it would seem reasonable for the SLORC to sign and
implement an agreement allowing the ICRC immediate and sustained access.

Finally, SLORC must immediately stop its war against ethnic minorities along the
Thai border.  Over the past year, SLORC has engaged in negotiations to reach ceasefire
agreements with many of the ethnic groups which explicitly call upon the withdrawal of
SLORC forces from the various regions.  In December, SLORC broker off peace talks
launching an attack against the Karen main camp at Manerplaw.  Nearly 80,000 refugees fled
into Thailand.  Over the past several weeks, SLORC moved troops into the Kayah state and
for the better part of the last week has been attacking Karenni camps.  This week news
accounts reported 20,000 refugees have fled the fighting.  It is imperative that these attacks
stop immediately and SLORC forces withdraw -- as required -- by the ceasefire terms.

In addition to my concern about the internal situation in Burma, I was prompted to
draft legislation because of the narcotics problem posed by Burma.  Today, Burma is the
source of 65% of the heroin coming into the U.S. compared with 15% ten years ago.  More
alarming is the fact that purity has increased.  Law enforcement officials in Kentucky and in
Washington tell me that we used to see purity of 2% to 3% on our streets.  Now it is not
uncommon to find purity levels of 25% to 65%.

The Drug Czar has said heroin trafficking represents a serious threat to our national
security interests.  I agree.  I also agree with Assistant Secretary Lord's testimony that the
only thing that will solve the problem is a change of government.

Obviously that is not going to happen overnight.  But, I do expect meaningful progress
on the concerns I have raised.  to assess the situation and to evaluate steps which might be
taken at the ASEAN Ministers meeting at the close of the month, I have asked Assistant
Secretary Lord and Assistant Secretary Gelbard to appear before the Subcommittee on July
25.
I also expect to call witnesses from human rights, labor and democracy groups
knowledgeable and interested in Burma.  Following the hearing and further consultation with
Daw Suu Kyi's supporters, I will make a decision on the introduction of legislation.

We all hope that Suu Kyi's release marks the beginning of the end of repression in
Burma.  However, past experience with this military dictatorship suggests caution is the
appropriate approach for the moment.

Daw Suu Kyi has issued a statement of remarkable good will toward a regime which
held her in detention for six years.  She has demonstrated courage and determination, stating
on Monday that her detention has not changed her basic objectives to advance peace and
freedom in Burma.

I think it is important that we respect and promote that agenda.  The extraordinary
symbolism of this moment must be translated into serious, substantive progress.

For More Information Contact: Kyle Simmons, Press Secretary, (202) 224-8285
Fax (202) 228-3416.  SR-361A, Washington, D.C. 20510-1702