Statement of Senator Mitch McConnel

Subject: Statement of Senator Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) on Sanctions Against Burma

Dear Burma Watchers,

Here is the statement that Senator McConnell made today at his press
conference in Washington, D.C.  Also appearing at the press conference was
NCGUB Prime Minister U Sein Win but I'll leave it to the NCGUB to post their
own statement!

Briefly, McConnell is prepared to wait two weeks to monitor the situation
but, after that time, if there is no progress in the areas he sets out in
his statement, then sanctions will be introduced.  Jane Jerome and Tim
Landon have done laudatory work in getting information on the net that Burma
activists should be writing, phoning and faxing their Senators to examine
and support this bill.  I think that effort must continue, especially since
it is important to build momentum for this bill which can ultimately serve
as an important lever to persuade SLORC to negotiate seriously with Daw Suu.

Hope this is helpful.  With congratulations and wishes of success to ASSK
and the persons on the front line in Rangoon and in the countryside --
cheers, Phil Robertson
For Immediate Release
July 12, 1995
95-105

Statement of U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell on Sanctions Against Burma

        As many of you know, I had planned to introduce legislation this
week to ban U.S. investment and trade with Burma and suspend our bilateral
and multilateral assistance to countries which trade with Burma.  The
legislation would have also required the President to negotiate agreements
with other nations to secure support for sanctions.  Included in your press
packages, you will find a summary of the legislation.

        In drafting the bill I consulted with Burmese students, ethnic
leaders, democracy advocates and associates of Suu Kyi's.  Each and every
one supported sanctions as a means to pressure political and economic change
in Burma, just as I believe they did in South Africa.  I think we should pay
attention to the fact that her first official statement Suu Kyi draws a
comparison between Burma and South Africa twice, remembering Nelson Mandela
was released from prison in February 1990, yet did not call for sanctions to
be lifted until November of 1993.

        Suu Kyi's release has strengthened our individual and collective
determination to fully implement the results of the 1990 elections when the
National League for Democracy carried 392 seats in Parliament.  Her release
has raised our hopes that all political prisoners will be released, that
forced relocations, forced labor, detentions, beatings, rape and
confiscation of property by the Army will stop.   After six years, I hope
her release is the first step beginning an era in which all the people of
Burma will be guaranteed the right to free speech, peaceful assembly and
association, and an active role in the open political process.

        I do not want to minimize the importance of Suu Kyi's release, both
for her family and her nation.  However, it is just one step -- albeit a
very important step -- in a broader process that must begin immediately.

        In the last 48 hours a number of government officials around the
world have suggested Suu Kyi's release should prompt the resumption of
economic aid and trade ties.  I believe any such decisions are premature and
ill advised.

        It is my intention to carefully monitor progress in the next two
weeks in Burma.  If there are not concrete steps taken to initiate a process
of national reconciliation, to formalize the transfer of power to a civilian
government, and correct the appalling record of human rights abuses, I will
move forward with my legislation.

        Specifically, I want to see the following conditions met:

        -- Suu Kyi has called for a dialogue with the SLORC to negotiate the
peaceful transfer of power.  In her statement she takes note of the fact
that a majority of people of Burma voted for democracy and a market economy
in 1990.  The dialogue to set Burma on the road to economic and political
recovery should begin immediately and as she indicates without pre-conditions.

        -- Suu Kyi must continue to be afforded the opportunity to meet with
her political supporters, both privately and publicly.  It is essential that
she has freedom of movement and speech, and that her supporters and the
press enjoy the same rights.

        -- Last month, the International Red Cross announced plans to
withdraw from Burma because SLORC had refused to grant unsupervised, regular
access to political prisoners, including the sixteen elected members of
parliament and hundreds of other NLD leaders and supporters -- I hope this
occurs promptly.  In the interim, it would seem reasonable for the SLORC to
sign and implement an agreement allowing the ICRC immediate and sustained
access.

        -- Finally, the SLORC must immediately stop its war against ethnic
minorities along the Thai border.  Over the past year, SLORC has engaged in
negotiations to reach ceasefire agreements with many of the ethnic groups
which explicitly call upon the withdrawal of SLORC forces from the various
regions.  In December, SLORC broke off all peace talks launching an attack
against the main Karen camp at Manerplaw.  Nearly 80,000 refugees fled into
Thailand.  Over the past several weeks, SLORC moved troops into the Kayah
state and for the better part of the last week have been attacking Karenni
camps.  This week news accounts reported 20,000 refugees have fled the
fighting.  It is imperative that these attacks stop immediately and SLORC
forces withdraw -- as required -- by the ceasefire terms.

        In addition to my concern about the internal situation in Burma, I
was prompted to draft legislation because of the narcotics problem posed by
Burma.  Today, Burma is the source of 65% of the heroin coming to the U.S.
compared to 15% ten years ago.  More alarming is the fact that purity has
increased.  Law enforcement officials in Kentucky and in Washington tell me
that we used to see purity of 2% to 3% on our streets.  Now it is not
uncommon to find purity levels of 25% to 65%.

        The Drug Czar (editorial comment: this is Washington, D.C. slang for
position of the White House anti-narcotics director) has said that heroin
trafficking represents a serious threat to our national security interests.
I agree.  I also agree with Assistant Secretary Winn Lord's testimony that
the only thing that will solve the problem is a change of government in Burma.

        Obviously, that is not going to happen overnight.  But I do expect
meaningful progress on the concerns I have raised.  To assess the situation
and to evaluate steps which might be taken at the ASEAN Ministers meeting at
the close of the month, I have asked Assistant Secretary Lord and Secretary
Gelbard to appear before the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Foreign
Operations on July 25.  I also expect to call witnesses from human rights,
labor and democracy groups knowledgeable and interested in Burma.  Following
the hearing and further consultation with Daw Suu Kyi's supporters, I will
make a decision on the introduction of the legislation.

        We all hope that Suu Kyi's release marks the beginning of the end of
repression in Burma.  However, past experience with this military
dictatorship suggests caution is the appropriate approach for the moment.

        Daw Suu Kyi has issued a statement of remarkable good will toward a
regime which held her in detention for six years.  She has demonstrated
courage and determination, stating on Monday that her detention has not
changed her basic objectives to advance peace and freedom in Burma.

        I think it is important that we respect and promote that agenda.
The extraordinary symbolism of this moment must be translated into serious,
substantive progress.

----end.