Address by Burmese student activist

Subject: Address by Burmese student activist at the Press Conference

Attn: Burma Newsreaders
Re: Address by Burmese student activist at the Press Conference

The following is the statement by Khin Ohmar, a Burmese student activist, at
the press
conference held by Senator Mitch McConnell in the Capitol Building at 2:00pm
on July 12, 1995.
Free Burma
-----------------------------------

July 12, 1995

For Release:

Senator McConnell, members of the press:

My name is Khin Ohmar. I am a Burmese student in exile who participated in
the 1988 nationwide pro-democracy movement in Burma and experienced
first-hand, the brutality of the current military regime. The memories of the
events of 1988 are still vivid.

At that time, I was a senior student at Rangoon Arts and Science University
majoring in chemistry. On March 16, while walking to class with my friends, I
saw students banging drums and calling others to gather nearby the
Convocation Hall. They were protesting the death of a student was shot by
soldiers dispersing a demonstration three days earlier. My friends and I
joined the protesters. As we marched passed Inya Lake we saw troops stationed
on the road, blocking our way and riot police trucks rolling down the road.

Many students ran into nearby streets and some jumped into the lake. Others
were beaten and kicked by police then dragged into the trucks. I was
separated from my friends and ran into one of the houses in front of the
lake. The residents let me and a few others in, locking their gate. From
there, I watched the terrifying scene. My heart was pounding with fear. My
sarong was torn apart. I was holding a pencil sharpener to defend myself if I
were caught. Some troops tried to climb over the gate to catch us but a
Japanese diplomat next door let us climb down into his residence and hid us
in his house. It was night before I could finally get back home.

>From that time there was a determination to fight for justice in our country.
During the next few months students organized quietly. More and more people
recognized the need for change in the country and joined this movement which
led to the nationwide pro-democracy uprising of August 8, 1988, known as
8-8-88.

Tens of thousands of people, including monks and children, took to the
streets that day, calling for democracy and human rights. I marched along
with my colleagues and witnessed the horror of our own military shooting
innocent people. One of the students marching next to me was shot to death.

During those months of struggle in 1988, hundreds of students were arrested,
universities and colleges were closed. Thousands of students, like myself,
were forced to flee the country.

I believe that democracy and human rights will truly come to Burma one day,
but the help of the international community is critical in bringing about the
change. Pressure brought to bear by the international community was
instrumental in freeing Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and such pressure must continue
until democracy is restored. The legislation planned by Senator McConnell
calling for economic sanctions on the military regime is the type of
initiative which will sustain such pressure.

I must say that the struggle of 1988 should not be forgotten. The spirit of
the people and their desire to live under a just and democratic government
remains strong. I believe that Senator McConnell's legislation can help the
people of Burma achieve that goal.

Thanks you very much.