ABSDF letter to Honorable Senator M

Subject: ABSDF letter to Honorable Senator Mitch McConnell

                                  ABSDF
                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

The Honorable Senator Mitch McConnell
The Senate of the United States
Washington D.C. 20510

                                                      Date. July 19, 1995

Dear Sir,

Warm greetings from the All Burma Students' Democratic Front

We have read your press statement concerning sanctions against
Burma dated July 12, 1995. We fully agree with your view on the
legislation which requires the President of the United States to
negotiate with other nations for agreements on sanctions.

Although the release of Nobel Peace laureate is an encouraging
development, we must consider the situation of other political
prisoners including a prominent student leader Min Ko Naing and
approximately 20 representatives elected in the May 1990
election.

It is also of great concern to us that the Slorc military regime
has not officially announced the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
through the media in Burma.

Sincerely, we the students would like to request you to speed
your process of legislation for effective sanctions against Burma
under the military rule, as soon as possible.

Sincerely Yours,

(signed here)
Zaw Min
Joint-Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Central Committee, ABSDF
E,mail: lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mailing Address: P.O Box 42, Hua Mark P.O, Bangkok, 10243,
Thailand.

Note: The previous letter to Honorable Senator Mitch McConnell on
July 30, was also enclosed here.

The Honourable Senator Mitch McConnell

Date: June 30, 1995

Dear Senator McConnell,

Warm greetings from the All Burma Students' Democratic Front.

We would like to show our support for your efforts to impose
economic and trade measures against the SLORC, the military
regime in Burma.

The SLORC has shown complete unwillingness to change its policy
and to recognise the legitimate government elected by the people
in the 1990 general elections. Our national leader, Aung San Suu
Kyi, remains under the house arrest without any real legal
justification for six years now. There are still eight hundred or
more political prisoners in different jails in Burma including
approximately 40 parliamentarians elected in 1990. The SLORC
continues serious human rights abuses inside Burma and in the
border area.

We understand that the United States supports democracy, and that
the United States government is aware of the real situation in
Burma including the narcotic problems.

We firmly believe that it is time for the international community
to take action against the military regime.

Thus, on behalf of the Burmese people, we, ABSDF urge the United
States and the international community to impose effective
economic sanctions until the military generals demonstrate their
willingness to compromise with democratic forces led by Aung San
Suu Kyi.

Sincerely yours,

(signed here)
Zaw Min
Joint Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Central Committee
All Burma Students' Democratic Front(ABSDF)