DEVELOPMENT & DESTRUCTION OF GAS PI

Subject: DEVELOPMENT & DESTRUCTION OF GAS PIPE LINE(VOICE OF THE PEACOCK)

Development and Destruction
===========================

Some of the transnational oil companies contracted with the notorious Burmese
government with the worst human rights record, against the strong protest of
the democratic opposition in Burma. Total Co. (France), Unocal Co. (USA) and
PTTEP (Thailand) signed the contract to buy natural gas from the gas sources
of the Adman gulf called Yadana Gas Field. Since the time of surveying for
the gas pipeline track to Thailand, a number of human rights violations
committed by the Thai Authority and its Burmese counterparts against the
ethnic refugee villagers have been recorded. These include forced labor and
conscription for the military operation for the clearance of insurgency in
that area. Here is some information and some of the reports to illustrate the
current situation of the gas pipe construction and human rights situation in
that area.

Facts about the Gas Pipeline
1. Objectives
The reason for purchasing natural gas from the Union of Burma is to produce
electricity to meet the energy demands of central and southern Thailand. PTT
aims to fulfill the project in 1999 according to the contract.

2. Project
The project is to transport the natural gas from its Burmese source via the
Ban I Taung village of Thai-Burmese border, then through Thong Pha Phung town
in Kanchanaburi province and finally to a Ratchaburi electricity power
station. The 36 inch wide gas pipe and general materials have to cross about
300 Km. The maximum export of the gas is expected to be about 800 million
cubic feet per day.

3. Time
>From November 1994 to June 1996.

4. Amount of investment
Approximately 12,000 million Bahts ( 480 million US$)

5. The size of the pipe
36 inches in diameter. The thickness of the pipe is 17.5 mm.

6. Distance
>From the Yadana Gas Field to On Bin Kwin villages =354 Km
>From On Bin Kwin village to Thai-Burmese border = 50 Km
>From Border to Ratchburi Power Station = 296 Km

The time schedule for establishing of the gas pipe line.
1. Survey for the tracking of the gas pipe
     From November 1994 to February 1995.

2. The time for negotiation with the construction company of the gas pipe.
     From March 1995 to June 1995.

3. The time to approve the detailed map and tracking of the gas pipe.
     From July 1995 to December 1995.

4. The time to finish drawing the detailed map of the track.
     From July 1995 to December 1995.

5. The time to record and research the environmental condition.
     From August 1995 to December 1995.

6. The time to get approval from the ministry.
     From August 1995 to March 1996.

7. The time to construct and transport the required materials.
     From April 1996 to August 1997.

8. The time to choose the construction company previously.
     From January 1996 to June 1996.

9. The time for construction.
     From July 1996 to March 1998.

10. The time for the test transportation of the natural gas.
     From January 1998 to June 1998.

*( The facts from these are excerpted and translated from announcement No (1)
of the PTT Oil Company of Thailand in the Thai language).

The Present Situation of the Gas Pipeline Construction

     Since February 1995, officials and employees from Total and Unocal Oil
Co. and from MOGE (Myanmar Oil and Gas Exploration Authority) started the
survey.

The Recruitment of the Employees
     The local SLORC officials announced the recruitment of employees for the
project in the Ye Phyu Township and began conducting health check-up. Until
the beginning of this March, the local SLORC officials chose nearly 200
perspective workers and then limited the number.
     The difficulties for the local villagers in getting employment are:
1) Favor of the member of the pro-SLORC USDA's members.
2) Having to give bribery to the doctor for the medical check-up.
3) Having to give bribery to the members of the employment provision board.
(As reported by local people who were first-hand witnesses)

The uniform of the employee
     Plastic yellow colored hat and blue colored uniform.

The payment to the employee
     The witnesses said that Total and Unocal Co. give payment in US dollars
($) amounting to 30$ per day but the SLORC changed the payment to the
official exchange rate under which the salary amounts to 200 Burmese Kyats
per day. The real exchange price would be more than 3500 Kyats per day.

Survey started
     With the help of 200 chosen workers, the Total and Unocal and MOGE
employees have started survey work for mapping the track-route of the gas
pipe in Phaung Daw, Da Min Seik and Mi Gyaung village (on the shore) since
March, 1995.

Aerial survey
     The foreign oil co., based their office headquarters in Mi Gyaung Aing
village and have started Aerial surveys with a white helicopter from nearby
villages, On Bin Kwin to Ban I Taung, on the border daily since at the
beginning of March, 1995.
     The local people said that helicopters fly daily, but they are not sure
if the box hanging under the bottom of the helicopters they have seen is a
radar box or a camera box. But they haven't seen a collection of pipe or any
construction materials at present.

Construction of the field HQ office of gas pipe project
     The field HQ of the gas pipe project buildings were already built 2
miles from the Mi Gyaung Aing villages.
     The information source said the official from the oil exploration co.
stopped the ground surveys since 9/5/95 and stopped the employment of daily
wagers until October 1995.
     Since February of 1995, the SLORC officials and Total have been
constructing the company's buildings, a small jetty, a small airfield and an
army post at Ka Deik village, Ye Phyu township. The army imposed a curfew to
boats crossing in that area.
     Also a curfew was imposed on passenger busses crossing On Bin Kwin
village which now have to pass by the other route.
     In March 1995, A ship harbored carrying 6 trucks and materials for
general purpose excluding the pipes, the source said.

Militarization in Tanessrim division
     Since the SLORC officials received the proposal for exploration for
natural gas from remote gas sources in the Adman sea, the railway project
from Ye to Tavoy township has become part of the implementation of the gas
project.
    Because the pipeline and railroad have to cross the area of the ethnic
Mons and Karens, the SLORC imposed more military strength and constructed an
infrastructure for military purposes by conscripting forced labor and taking
land by order from local villagers without compensation.
     One of the Tha Pyay Chaung villagers fled to the border area to avoid
the SLORC imposed situation and is an eye witness to the following events.
Tha Pyay Chaung village was peaceful and self-sufficient and consisted of
nearly 500 houses before the establishment of the SLORC forces in 1991. After
that, the SLORC's LIB (Light Infantry Battalion) 401 was positioned in the
forcibly-conscripted land and farms from the villagers who received no
compensation. Then the Battalion forced the villagers to work on construction
of army barracks. In the next years, the ground engineering company (957),
and the large artillery company No. (324) and the signal branch office were
settled consecutively.
     In February 1995, the SLORC's LIB (267) was also settled in that village
and the small village gradually became a cantonment area. The forced
porterage for the construction of barracks and army forts were daily tasks
for the villagers and worsened by the passing of the railroad crossing
through the village. For this crossing some farms were conscripted and some
houses were destroyed by order. Now there are only 200 houses left and others
had to move from the village.
     The SLORC forces from the Ye to Tavoy area for coverage of the gas pipe
and railroad in that area are:

No        LIB     I.B       Village/Town        Strength
1         LIB(401)                 Tha Pyay Chaung     300
2         LIB(402)                 Za Lun                   300
3         LIB(403)                 Tha Yet Chaung           300
4         LIB(404)                 Tha Yet Chaung           300
5         LIB(405)                 Tha Yet Chaung           300
6         LIB(406)                 Htauk Lauk               300
7         LIB(407)                 Padauk Kone              300
8         LIB(408)                 Rubber Plantation(1)     300
9         LIB(409)                      "                   300
10        LIB(410)                 Zim Ba Junction          300
11                  IB(25)         Tavoy Airport            350
12                  IB(104)        Taw She                  350
13        LIB(267)                 Tha Pyay Chaung          300
14        LIB(269)                 Za Lun-Long Lone         300
15*       ?                        Pakari-Myay Khanti        ?
16*       ?                        Bawdi Kon-Kalein On       ?
17*       ?                        Hein Ze Bok Island        ?
18        G.E (957)                Tha Pyay Chaung
19        Large Artillery Co.(324)       "
20        Medical corp No(5)       Tavoy
21        Signal corp No (515)     Tavoy
22        MI Branch No (19)        Tavoy
23                   IB(61)         Ye                       350
24                   IB(106)        Ye-la Mine               350
25        LIB(343)                  Ye                       300
                                                            5300

The disadvantages for the villagers affected by the gas pipe and railroad
construction project. (From October 1994 to March 1995)

Tha Yet Chaung Township.
     The local SLORC officials collected money for the security and labor
charges from the villagers, until now. (This news from a villager who
escaped to the border area.)

For the  construction funds for the railroad in the Ye-Tavoy area, every
family must pay a monthly quota.
1) Single-parent family                          570 Kyats
2) Normal family                                 700-800 Kyats
3) The owner of rubber plantation            1000 Kyats
4) The family who owns cow and cart          1000 Kyats
5) Owner of farm                                1000 Kyats
6) The family who has grocery shop                1000 Kyats
(as reported by the villagers)

The others funds for porter fees and fire service fees were also
collected. 100 to 150 Kyats for porter fees from every family and 50
Kyats for fire service fees must be paid by every family each month.

The villagers from that area had to go to the Battalion headquarters of the
LIB 403, 404 and 405 by rotation for the construction works in the army
compound. A villager failing to give the funds must go to the forced site on
the Ye-Tavoy railroad. Since January of this year, one feet by 10 feet by 10
feet of crushed stone must be sent for the construction of the base layer of
the railroad.

The local authority has ordered the villagers not to fail in this demand,
otherwise they could be punished with a maximum of 8 years imprisonment,
the villager reported.

Long Lone township
Some villagers escaped to the border area and reported the situation in their
area. The local SLORC official ordered that every family must pay 500 Kyats
per month for the construction of the railroad and in addition, 1 feet by 10
feet by 10 feet of crushed stone must be sent to the railroad site by each
family. Every family must pay 100-200 Kyats in porter fees each month. If
they fail to pay the fees, the villagers have to report to the construction
site for labor since October 1994 until now.

Tavoy township
Since the SLORC officials campaign a lot for the Visit Myanmar Year 1996 and
after Yozo Yokota, the UN Human Rights rapporteur visited, the local authority
decreased the forced conscription of porters for railroad construction and
instead strengthened the order for each family of every ward of Tavoy to pay
500 Kyats per month in labor charges for the railroad construction. But from
far areas of Tavoy, a villager from each family must go to the construction
of the railroad routinely for 15 days. If they fail to fulfill this order,
the villagers can be punished for 3 month terms. The head or a member of the
local village authority is responsible for preventing the flight of potential
porters.

A local villager from Zahar village reported in March 1995 that 300 chained
prisoners were used for the construction of the railroad.

In every ward of Tavoy, officials collected money for army porters,
50-100 Kyats from each family. Now the army arrests porters indiscriminately
and the villagers have to pay 3000 Kyats bribery to the army officials for
their release.

Ye Phyu township
The local authority conscripted porters, 30-100 from each village according
to its size, every 15 days. The rotated villagers who fail to go to the work
site must pay fines of 1500-3000 Kyats. The source informed us that the slorc
planned to finish the setting of the iron rail bar before the end of 1995.

The villagers have to pay 50-200 Kyats in porter fees every month to be sent
to the army HQ. Also the village has to send 5-20 porters each month.

The amount of porters routinely collected from the villages wasn't enough and
sometimes the army conscripted from the village during military operations.
The villagers had to pay 3000 Kyats in bribery to the army officials to avoid
this. Due to the fear of conscription and portering and inability to pay the
bribes and various fees, the villagers fled to border at a rate of nearly
50-100 per day.

Details about the villages in Thayet Chaung township.
Winka Phaw village
There are about 180 houses and every two weeks 15 villagers have to go and
work at the railroad construction site. If a person does not want to go, he
has to pay 1,500 Kyat to the local village SLORC official for substitution of
labor, but the other laborers are working there without any payment. Every
family has to pay 50 Kyat to the village SLORC official every month for
porterage. The rotation of forced porters is five persons every month by
order, and each person not wanting to go has to pay 4000 Kyat to the village
SLORC official for substitution of porterage.

Moe Shwe Gon village
>From the 60 houses in that village about 6 forced laborers are conscripted
for railroad construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of
labor costs 1500 Kyat each. For the forced porters, 3 persons every month and
for substitution of porterage, 2000 Kyat must be paid to the local village
SLORC official.

Pyan Phyu Gyi village
About 100 houses in that village and 10 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
2000 Kyat each. For the fees for porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 5 persons
every month and it costs 5000 Kyat each for substitution of labor.

Kyat Sar Pyan village
About 300 houses in that village and 30 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substituting of labor costs 2000
Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50 Kyat to the
local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 15 persons
every month and the substitution of porters costs 3000 Kyat each.

Thayet Hnit Khwa village
About 200 houses in that village and 20 forced labors for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 10 persons
every month and substitution of porters costs 5000 Kyat each.

Shwe Gu village
About 200 houses in that village and 27 forced labors for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 5 persons
every month and it costs 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.  In
addition, the villagers also have to send some people to LIB 403,404 and 405
when they are ordered.

Saw Phya village
About 300 houses in that village and 30 forced laborers for railroad
construction for every two weeks without payment. Substitution of laborers
costs 2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat to the local SLORC village official. For forced porters, 4 persons every
month and substitution of porters costs 6000 Kyat each. In addition, a
company of LIB 403 is stationed in Saw Phya village and summons 2 villagers
daily for digging trenches, cooking and collecting water in their camp.
Anyone who fails to respond must pay 150 Kyats fine.

Son Sin village
About 500 houses in that village and 50 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. Every family must pay 150 Kyat to the local SLORC village
official every month for the fees of porterage. For forced porters, 10
persons every month and it costs 4000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Tavoy township
==============
Hein Dar village
About 450 houses in that village and 40 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
2000 Kyat each. For the porterage fees, every family must pay 250 Kyat to the
local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 15 persons every
month and 6000 Kyat each for substitution of porters. In addition, a company
of IB 25 is stationed in Hein Dar village and summons 5 villagers daily for
two weeks for digging trenches, cooking and collecting water in their camp
and carrying military ammunition during operations. Anyone who fails to
respond is fined 600 Kyats.

Kyauk Yat village
About 200 houses in that village and 30 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to
the local SLORC  village official every month. For forced porters, 5 persons
every month and 4000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Za Har village
About 300 houses in that village and 50 forced laborers for construction of a
village monastery under the guidance of a District SLORC official instead of
railroad construction every two weeks without payment. For the absence of
labors, it costs 1000 Kyat each for substitution. For the fees of porterage,
every family must pay 200 Kyat to the local SLORC village official every
month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 4000 Kyat each for
substitution of porters.

Pa Khet village
About 40 houses in that village and 10 forced labors for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. For the substitution of
labor, 1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100
Kyat to the local SLORC  village official every month. For forced porters, 5
persons every month and 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Shan Ma Twin village
About 400 houses in that village and 40 forced labors for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 5 persons
every month and 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Bawa Gon village
About 200 houses in that village and 40 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. For the substitution of labor,
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to
the local SLORC official every month. For forced porters, 20 persons every
month and 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Kyauk Me Taung village
About 300 houses in that village and 30 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labors costs
2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 30 persons
every month and 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Khway Hlaung Chaung village
About 200 houses in that village and 20 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 250 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 10 persons
every month and 5000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Har Myin Gyi village
About 100 houses in that village and 16 forced laborers for railroad
construction every two weeks without payment. For the substitution of labor,
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to
the local SLORC village official every month. For forced porters, 5 persons
every month and 4000 Kyat each for substitution of porters.

Maung Mae Shaung village
About 1200 houses in that village and since the beginning of 1995 the SLORC
authorities have been collecting only money instead of forced laborers. Every
month, each family has to pay 500 Kyat for railroad construction. Anyone
unable to pay has to go and work for 15 days at the railroad construction
site without payment. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 50 persons every month and 4000 Kyat
for substitution of porters.

Thit Khet Chaung village
About 20 houses in that village and 5 forced laborers every two weeks for
railroad construction without payment. Substitution of labor costs 1500
Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 215 Kyat to the
local SLORC official  every month. For the forced porters, 3 persons every
month and 4000 Kyat for substitution of porters.

Pa Ka Ri village
About 400 houses in that village and 30 forced laborers every two weeks for
railroad construction without payment. Substitution of labor costs 1500 Kyat
each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat to the local
SLORC official every month. For the forced porters, 5 persons every month and
5000 Kyat for substitution of porters. In addition, a company of LIB(402) is
based in this village and compels the villagers to send 2 porters daily to
the post for daily tasks.

Tavoy town
----------
In Tavoy, every family must pay 500 Kyat instead of forced labors. But a
person who can't pay the fee is forced to work at the railroad construction
site for two weeks.

Long Lon Township
==================

Taung Min Byaung village
About 300 houses in that village and 50 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 4000 Kyat for
the substitution of
porters.

Myo Haung village
About 600 houses in that village and 50 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 7000 Kyat
for the substitution of porters. In addition, the village official collected
50 Kyats each for a family development project.

Dawn Shaung village
About 150 houses in that village and 10 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor
costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 3000 Kyat for
the substitution of porters.

Ka Myaw Kin village
About 200 houses in that village and 10 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 50 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 3000 Kyat
for the substitution of porters.

Khan Taw village
About 300 houses in that village and 10 people working at the
railroad construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of
labor costs 2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay
50 Kyat every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 3000 Kyat
for the substitution of porters.

Thin Gan Tone village
About 60 houses in that village and 10 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and it costs 5000 Kyat
for the substitution of porters.

Maung Ma Gan village
About 1500 houses in that village and 100 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
6000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 10 persons every month and 5000 Kyat for the
substitution of porters. In addition, the IB 104 is based in this village and
the villagers have to send one column of wood for building fences on the
post.

Ye Phyu Township
==================
Pha Chaung villages
About 100 houses in that village and 20 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and it costs 5000 Kyat
for the substitution of porters.

Ka Lone Hta village
About 150 houses in that village and 30 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor costs
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 3 persons every month and 5000 Kyat for the
substitution of porters. In addition, a company of IB 407 is stationed in Ka
Lone Hta village and summons 6 villagers daily for two weeks for digging
trenches, cooking and collecting water in their camp and carrying military
ammunition during operations. Anyone who fails to cooperate is fined 1500
Kyats.

Htein Gyi village
About 400 houses in that village and 30 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 2500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 10 persons every month and it costs
4500 Kyat for the
substitution of porters.

Le Shaung village
About 600 houses in that village and 50 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 2500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 10 persons every month and it costs
4500 Kyat for the
substitution of porters.

Pale Ku village
About 100 houses in that village and 45 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and it costs 6000
Kyat for the substitution of porters.

Min Dub village
About 50 houses in that village and 15 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 3 persons every month and it costs 6000
Kyat for the substitution of porters.

Yin Line village
About 200 houses in that village and 40 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 300
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 6 persons every month and it costs 7000
Kyat for the substitution of porters.

Tha Pyay son village
  About 60 houses in that village and 6 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 2000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 3 persons every month and 4000 Kyat for
the substitution of porters.

Ta Line Ya village
About 40 houses in that village and 15 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. Substitution of labor
costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 2 persons every month and 6000 Kyat for
the substitution of porters.

Pya Thad village
About 300 houses in that village and 30 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 3000 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150
Kyat every month. For forced porters, 5 persons every month and 5000 Kyat for
the substitution of porters. In addition the village official collected 50
Kyats per house for a village development fund.

Ka Nyin Inn village
About 30 houses in that village and 6 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 150 Kyat
every month. For forced porters, 3 persons every month and 5000 Kyat for the
substitution of porters.In addition the village official collected 50 Kyats
per family for village
development.

Ze Kya village
About 200 houses in that village and 20 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
it costs 1500 Kyat each.
For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 100 Kyat per month. For
forced porters, 5 persons every month and it costs 4000 Kyat for the
substitution of porters.
In addition the village official collected 50 Kyats per family for village
development.

Ye Phyu town-Ward (a)(b)(c)(d)
About 900 houses in that town and 300 people working at the railroad
construction site every two weeks without payment. For substitution of labor,
1500 Kyat each. For the fees of porterage, every family must pay 200 Kyat per
month. For forced porters, 20 persons every month and 5000 Kyat for the
substitution of porters.
In addition the township SLORC official collected  200 Kyats per family for
various development funds.

VOICE OF THE PEACOCK
ABSDF(Chairman Moe Thee Zun)

The information mentioned above is collected from the escaped villagers at Le
Doe Soe township by the Information Department of Mergui-Tavoy district, KNU
from 4.3.94 to 19.5.95.