1993: BA(SA) ACTION ON ROHINGYA

/* Written July 26 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" 1993: BA(SA) ACTION ON ROHINGYA "--------------- */
[Added note: in 1993, Burma Support Group(SA) decided to change its name to
Burma Action(SA)]

                 BURMA ACTION(SOUTH AUSTRALIA)
         1ST FLOOR 39 WAKEFIELD ST. ADELAIDE, SA5001.
Tuesday 9 February 1993                     Tel:(08) 210 8172

TO:

The  Burma Action(SA) wishes to thank those whose joined in calling for the
UN General Assembly to address the Human  Rights  abuses  of  the  Military
Government  of  Burma. Worldwide attention on  human rights abuses in Burma
has led the UN to call the harshest ever resolution on Burma [1].

SLORC has shown signs of restraint in committing further abuses on its  own
population:   start accepting Rohingya refugees on Bangladesh-Burma border;
the  offensive on Karen minorities, held annually in the dry season(Dec-May),
postponed  to  date.   SLORC  is  portraying  it  is  serious   about   the
constitution  and  transfer  of  power  and  claims to be creating peaceful
environment for the National Convention  on  January-9.  The  international
community is doubtful of this claim. It appears that the strong condemnation
by  the  UN  General  Assembly and, perhaps, the desertion of  various oil-
companies after their disappointing results are attributed to this.

Burma's conflict was addressed by some as  the military oppression  on  its
own  civilian  population while the others as the Burmans repression on the
minorities. Whatever the reasons, it is necessary to bring an  end  to  the
human  tragedy  and  help the Burmese peoples strive for freedom and social
justice. The Burma Action (SA) again urges  the international community  to
keep  constant attention on the conflict in Burma  and maintain pressure on
SLORC. We call  your attention  to  the  conflict  between  SLORC  and  the
Rohingyas.  The  following are a summary of events since the conflict began
in January-1992.

Introduction
------------
In early 1992, the refugees from the Arakan state of west Burma,  which  is
also  known  as  the Burma-Rohingyas, crossed the Naaf river and enter into
Bangladeshi territory. Rohingyas report  of  torture,  killing  and  rapes.
Persecution  over  the  Rohingyas  are  not  isolated  incidents,  but  are
consistent with the same pattern of  atrocities  on  the  unarmed  civilian
population throughout the country. These human rights abuses have been well
documented by Amnesty International and other Human Rights groups.

The pattern of repression on Rohingyas
--------------------------------------
Amnesty  International  conducted over 100 interviews in Bangladesh and has
documented details in its May 1992 publication  [2].  The  forms  of  Human
Rights abuses consists of:

Forced Labour by Armed forces for  porters and road constructions: Men (and
often\-  women)  are  forcibly  conscripted  from villages for porter duty.
During porter duty, the villagers are given  little or no food.  Those  who
become  weak  and  cannot  carry  out their duties are beaten and sometimes
killed [3];

Rape by soldiers: This often occurs during porter duty for women or at  the
time  of  conscription  for  porter  duty.  When   men are  unavailable for
conscription women from villages are held hostage in return for men and are
raped [4];

Arbitrary detention  and  torture:  Most  commonly  committed  by  Military
Intelligence Service(MIS) and {\it Lonhteins} for suspected connection with
opposition groups [5];

Extrajudicial  executions:  Persons  accused of association with rebels are
executed on sight, with no trial or explanation given [6];

There are also reports of looting and confiscation  of  properties  by  the
security forces.

Relief operation for Rohingyas
------------------------------
Despite  recent  changes  in its conduct with Rohingyas, it is evident that
authorities in Bangladesh have carried out the best available relief effort.
>From October 1991 to February 1992,  when  there  was  just  a  trickle  of
refugees,   the  relief operation was carried out internally. International
assistance was called for  when  the  new  waves  of  refugees  arrived  in
February  1992. A number of NGOs have been involved in the relief effort to
date [7].

Pressure on Bangladesh Govt. to repatriate Refugees
Bangladesh is very limited in its resources. The presence of refugees means
the deprivation of jobs, firewood and hunting and fishing for  the  locals.
In  mid  1992,  the  people  from   Cox's  Bazaar  area set up the Rohingya
Repatriation Action Committee [8], forcing  the  government  to  repatriate
refugees.  There  are  also reports of blocking roads so that the Rohingyas
are deprived of assistance from NGOs.

In addition to such  a  strong  pressure  from  the  local  community,  the
Government  of Bangladesh seems concerned with a possible outbreak of armed
conflict between the Rohingyas and the Burma Military[9]. There are reports
that the Rohingyas are enjoying  increasing  sympathy  from  the  oil  rich
Middle  Eastern  countries  and are said to be receiving financial support.
There is a prospect of long term instability if the crisis is not resolved.

Initiatives from Burmese Govt. for a voluntary return
The Rohingyas claim  they are the descendents of Arab and  Persian  traders
who  settled  in the Arakan state of west Burma a few centuries ago. On the
other hand SLORC refuses to recognize the status of Rohingyas, and  charged
them  as  illegal aliens mingled between Burma and Bangladesh[10].

On  April  1992, the Bangladeshi and Burmese Government signed an agreement
for Rohingyas repatriation. However SLORC insisted that only those who have
a National Registration Card (NRC) will be accepted[11].

Recent Developments
-------------------
There were reports of conflicts arising between Rohingya refugees  and  the
local  Bangladeshi  community  by  mid  1992.  There  have  been reports of
conflicts between Bangladesh Security forces and Rohingyas [12]  and  among
refugees  [13].  Burma  Action(SA) received warning of the refugees will be
forced to their return in early November. In December, there  are   reports
of violence between the Bangladeshi security forces and Rohingyas against
forced repatriations [14]. It is evident that  some refugees have been sent
home against their will [15].

On the other side of the border, the Burmese Govt. was showing a soft stand
on  Rohingyas,  pledging  them   safety and also the issuing of the  NRC on
their arrival. This concession  follows the attention by the UN,  US  State
Department and British Home  affairs [16]. It  appears that SLORC is trying
to improve its image due to the criticism of the  international community.

The conduct of the Government of Bangladesh in the repatriation process is
coerced  the  refugees  to  return.  The  underlying  reason seems that its
unwillingness to promote the conflict to a level of a direct UN involvement.

Other Political Groups and Rohingyas
------------------------------------
There are two main political group for Rohingyas; the Rohingya Solidarity
Organization (RSO)  and  Arakan  Rohingya  Islamic  Front  (ARIF).  Despite
Rohingyas undergoing the very same repression as other minorities, they are
not going along in politics with other  groups such as NCGUB or DAB [17].
The  NCGUB  refers  to  Rohingyas  in  its  press  statement in the UN last
November as ``displaced people at Bangladesh-Burma border'' and not  as  an
``ethnic  group''.  It  is evident that NCGUB and DAB consider Rohingyas as
non-indigenous Burmese, and sharing the same view as SLORC !

On the other hand, unlike other minority groups, which have  been  fighting
the  Rangoon  central government for decades, there have been no revolts of
Rohingyas in western Burma within the last two decades.  Therefore,  it  is
likely  that Rohingyas formed RSO and ARIF as a resolution to their problem
after a series of military repression and  may  not  constitute   permanent
political ambitions.

Conclusion
----------
Elsewhere in the world, the UN is consistent in enforcing compliance to its
resolution in recent years, its attention to Burma's situation in general is
rather uneffectual. On the other hand, the UN enforcement on the resolution
on  armed  conflicts or the relief efforts usually associated with military
operations.  This seems to be the main reason of concern  in  not  agreeing
by SLORC and not cooperating by the Government of Bangladesh.

Understandably,   Rohingyas   repeatedly  request  UN  to  supervise  their
repatriation process. Though SLORC appears to hold the central  power,  the
general  situation  of  justice system in Burma is no different to Somalia,
with the total collapse of the  administration.  The  pattern  of  violence
against  Rohingyas   stems  from the inhumane practice of the armed forces,
the lack of observant of the law and due  process  by  security  forces  in
detention  and  executions  .  Although  recent  response  from SLORC seems
favourable, it must be pointed out that no absolute safety can be guaranteed
unless there is a popular government which practices a proper rule of  law.
Therefore  UN should consider all possible measures of monitoring Rohingyas
prevent further abuses by the Military.

Rohingyas had a long history of repression by Burmans. The present  alleged
charges  against  Rohingyas that they are illegal immigrants. Although some
refugees in the camps seems to have NRC cards, all the refugee  should   be
treated  as   stateless persons. The issuing of NRC to Rohingyas  approving
them as citizens by  SLORC must, in principle, be opposed, since  SLORC  is
not  a  legitimate Government. Rohingyas should be treated as ``stateless''
and placed under the protection of the United Nations upon their repatriation.
With the proper international pressure being applied, the mere presence  of
UN personnel in western Burma will prevent  further ill-treatment by security
forces on  Rohingyas.

Action:
-------
Please  write  letters  to Ms Ogata, The United Nations High Commission for
Refugees and H.E. Mr Richard  Butler,  the  Australian  Ambassador  to  the
United  Nations,  advocating United Nations to ensure Rohingyas safety upon
their return. Writing to the Prime Minister  of  Bangladesh  for  a  humane
treatment of Burma-Rohingyas may also helps.

Ms Sadako Ogata, UNHCR, CASE POSTALE 2500,
CH-1211 GENEVA-2 DEPOT, SWITZERLAND.

H.E. Mr Richard W Butler AM,
Australian Mission to the United Nations
885 Second Avenue, New York NY10017
United States of America.
\end{minipage}
Attached  with this letter are collected news items concerning situation of
Rohingyas.  We   appreciate  you  contacting  our  secretary,  Miss   Kribo
Ackerman, for your action and also further informations.

FOOTNOTES
=========
[1] Reuter, December 4.

[2]  AI Index: ASA 16/06/92, Human Rights violations against Muslims in the
Rakhine (Arakan ) State.

[3] AI Index: ASA 16/06/92. A 39 year old refugee told the AI,
       "I was taken as porter and after four days with no food  I  was  not
       able  to  carry  my  load.  I  fell  down  and  the soldiers beat me
       viciously with a large bamboo stick. Then they threw a large rock at
       me and it hit me on the hip. I was left there for 3-days.

       Another refugee described his experience,
       "I was in a group of 300 people as porters, taken  50  to  60  miles
       northeast  from  Taungbazaar to military bases ... In the last three
       months more than 50 men died. I saw 20 men who were kicked and  died
       like this. It was impossible to help......

[4] Another refugee told AI,
       "I  was fishing in the river when the army came to get the men. When
       they found that everyone had gone they went into 30 houses and  took
       the  women.  I  saw  them taking them off in a motor boat. They were
       taken to Dahdam army camp. I was nearby and the  called  to  me  and
       asked  me to help by getting their husbands to come back. All 30 oth
       them were kept in the camp and raped."

       In some incidences, the army is evidently out of control:
       "Anlther women from Buthidaung was dragged from her  home  early  in
       the morning by soldiers from a Light INfantry Division. She then saw
       the soldiers drag her two younger sisters outside and tear off their
       clothes.  She  was left behind, but her sister are taken away for 24
       hours and then returned home. They had  evidently  been  gang-raped,
       and  were  immediately  taken  to  the hospital. As soon as they had
       recovered, the family left for Bangladesh"(AI ibid Page 20).

[5] One refugee who was suspected of connection with RSO by MIS told,
       "One  day MI-18 came and dragged me from my house and beat me with a
       stick stuck with two nails. They accused me of having  contact  with
       insurgents and ..."

       Another  refugee  wo  witnessed the torture of a National League for
       Democracy (NLD) suppporter described,
       "They start shouting at him, beating him, accused him of  supporting
       Suu  Kyi(NLD  leader)  and  all.  He  was  very  badly beaten up, he
       couldn't walk. They just keft him on the bridge and his  family  had
       to  come and get him so that he  could be treated. They weren't able
       to take him to the hospital though, and he was treated by the  local
       quack. I doubt if he is alive now."

[6] One refugee who witnessed MI-18 execute a fellow villager told AI as,
       "There  was  one  man from my village Abdul Rahman, who was about 30
       years old. One day he was sitting outside his house when  the  MI-18
       came  and  shot  him,  they uust shot him there, in the street. They
       said that he was RSO insurgent, but he was  just  a  normal  farmer,
       he'd never been to Bangladesh, not even in 1979".

[7]  There  are  a  number  of  NGOs  operating at Burma-Bangladesh border:
Gonoshasthaya Kendra(GK),  a  DaKha-based  NGO;  Medicin  SansFrontiers,  a
French  medical  relief team and UNHCR. Australian Government assistance to
Rohingyas are also  channelled  through  NGOs:  Adventist  Development  and
Relief  Agency,  Australian Council of Churches and Archibishop of Sydney's
Oversea Relief and Development Program.

[8] Burma UPdate, 25 September 1992.

[9] Far Eastern Economic Review, 28-January-92

[10] On February 1992, The Foreign Minister of  SLORC  stated  in  a  press
release  that  Rohingyas  are  not one of burma's 135 national races. These
(Rohingya) people of Muslim faith have illegally entered burma since  1824,
are  not  able  to  show  their National Registration Card (NRC) to routine
security check and therefore fled the country.(AI INdex:ASA 16/06/92)

[11] SLORC means that those who can present their NRC are burmese  citizens
and  will  be accepted. Justice Einfeld in his report comment "most dubious
concession" since most refugee fled with little possessions and  their  NRC
being  confiscated by security forces in some cases. (Nationsl Refugee WEek
presentatioon by the HOn. Justice Marcus Einfeld, AUSTCARE, June 1992)

[12] Burma Update, 25 September 92

[13] Working People's Daily (Burmese), 3 October 1992.

[14] Reuter, December 7.

[15] Reuter, December 20, December 31

[16] Reuter, January 7.

[17] National  Coalition  Government  of  the  Union  of  Burma(NCGUB)  and
Democratic Alliance of Burma(DAB)

ENCLOSURES
==========
FAR EASTERN ECONOMIC REVIEW, 28 JANUARY 1993 PP 23-24.

BURMA: Push and Pull factor
By S. Kamaluddin in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh and Pimpya, burma.

Both  Dhaka  and  Rangoon  have  launched  diplomatic  offensives  aimed at
promoting their respective positions over the treatment of Muslim  Rohingya
refugees  who  fled  Burma's  Arakan  region  to Bangladesh since a wave of
officially sanctioned persecution started in 1989.

According to Bangladeshi officials, 8,571 Rhingyas were repatriated up to 6
January out of a total of 243,771 registered  refugees. Another 14,936 were
in transit camps awaiting repatriation.

Dhaka's response stemmed from statements issued by UN High Commissioner  of
Refugees  (UNHCR)  Sadako  Ogata  and US State Department spokesman Richard
Boucher in August that accused Bangladesh of "coercing  Rohingyas  refugees
to return", something the Dhaka administration has categorically denied.

On  23  December,  Ogata sent another letter to Bangladesh's Prime Minister
Khaleda Zia urging her  to  "take  all  necessary  measures"  to  halt  the
"coerced"  return  of  refugees  to  Burma.  The letter said the Bangladesh
Government  had  pledged  its  adherence  to  the  principle  of  voluntary
repatriation, but that the UNHCR had been prevented from conducting private
interviews  to  ascertain  whether the returnees were volunteers. The State
Department, had earlier accused Dhaka of preventing UNHCR  from  fulfilling
its international mandate to protect refugees.

The  problem  arose  on 25 November when 932 people were to be repatriated.
UNHCR  approved the depatrure of 780 returnees, but railed objections about
the remainder who they said were unwilling to return.  HOwever,  Bangladesh
returned  the  original,  larger  group and the UNHCR unilaterally withdrwe
from the 8 October agreement and dissociated  itself  from  all  subsequent
repatriation arrangements.

While  a  government  spokesman  did  not  rule out occasional slips at the
ground  level,  he  insisted  that  Dhaka's  policy  was   against   forced
repatriation -- despite growing political pressure from people in the Cox's
Bazar  area  where many of the Rohingya camps were located. "Had we appl9ed
force we could have sent back 80% of them[Rohingyas] by  now,"  was  how  a
Bangladeshi official put it.

Burma's  efforts  to  improve its image with regard to the Rohingyas led to
the first ever invitation of a group of Bangladeshi  journalists  to  cross
the border and assess whether it was safe for the refugees to return home.

"Let  them return and resettle [in their villages]... we will give them all
assistance  and  full  security,"  col  Than  Aye,  director   of   burmese
immigration  headquarters  NASAK,  told  journalists  in  border village of
Pimpya in early January.

The  JOurnalists  were  allowed  little  time  to  visit  other   villages,
especially  some in the worst affected Buthidong township, home of half the
refugee theat fled the country. Nevertheless, in  the  few  villages  where
they  had  the  opportunity  to  talk  to local inhabi5tants, the situation
appeared to have improved.

However, one reporter  claimed  that  some  villagers  had  whispered  that
persecution was still continuing in the area and that it was unsafe for the
Rohingyas to return.

BURMA: Distant exile
Rohingyas seek new life in Middle East

By Bertil LIntner in Dubai, Sharjah and Ajaman in the United Arab Emairates

One  of  the  least  known  population  movements  of the late 20th centure
continues to channel refugees and exiles from the Burmese  jungles  to  the
cities  and  shanty towns of the Arabian peninsula. The Diaspora of Burma's
Rohingya Muslims to the Middle EAst, however, also completes a journey that
began more thaan a millennium ago when their Moorish and Persian  ancestors
settlen in the country's Arakan region.

There  are  now more than 20,000 Rohingyas in the United ARab Emarates(UAE)
alone, as many as 200,000 in Saudi Arabia, between  1,500-2,000  in  Qater,
some  3,000-5,000  in JOrdan and more than 200,000 in Pakistan. Much of the
support for the Rohingya cause comes from these expatriates.  They  provide
senior  religious  leaders  in  Dubai and Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar
Velayati.

For the time being, however,  the  RSO  and  other  militant  groups'  main
financial supporters appear restricted to wealthy Rohingya domiciled in the
Middle  East.  But  if  the  present  repatriation programme fails, tens of
thousands of more Rohingyas are likely to try to travel to the Middle east,
adding to what has already become one of Asia's largest,  least  recognised
and potentially most explosive refugee problems.

JESUIT REFUGEE SERVICE: BURMA UPDATE, SEPTEMBER 25, 1992.
REFUGEES IN BANGLADESH

#General situation worsens:
An  NGO  worker in the Rohingya camps near Cox's BAzar reported last month:
"Rain has excerbated problem  of  sanitation,  shelter,  food  and  access.
Additional  efforts  to  start  sanitation  education began in a few of the
camps. During the rainy season at some camps, patients  and  medical  teams
wade  through deep mud because even heavy-duty vehicles cannot get through.
One confirmed case of cholera has been reported."

# Radicals go into kidnappping:
Militant Burmese groups have kidnapped ten fellow Muslims from the Rohingya
camps  and  thretened  more  abductions  if  they agree to return home. The
radical group is using the refugees in their campaign  for  an  independent
Arakan  State  back in Burma. One death has been reported during clashes on
this issue.

# Threat to stop supplies:
The Rohingya Repatriation  Action  Committee,  a  local  Bangladeshi  group
opposed to the refugees using up resources in the area, threatened to block
the  main  road  into  the  camps  for  a  day,  as  a  protest against the
Bangladeshi government's reluctance to "drive  the  Rohingyas  back  home."
They  called  off  the blockade when assured that no more refugees would be
allowed to stay there. The number is now over 270,000, and  the  effect  of
their  stay  in  the  forest  and  rice-growing area along the river Naf is
already clear.

# Secrity tightened around camps:
Security was tightened around Cox's Bazar at the end of August for  further
talks between Rangoon and Dhaka officials on repatriation of the Rohingyas.
The  security  has remained since: passes are needed to enter the camps; no
new NGOs are welcome; journalists are not permitted; those with passes  may
only  go  directly  to their work place and return. Repatriation was agreed
between the two governments back in April and was to have started  May  15.
But  "technical  difficulties"(  mainly, that the refugees refuse to return
until the UNHCR is operational in Arakan to supervise  their  safe  return)
held up implementation of the agreement.

# Refugees arm for struggle:
Some  of  the  270,000 refugees in the 15 camps near Cox's Bazar have armed
themselves to resist any attempt at forced repatriation.  It  was  reported
early  September  that  they  have  bought  up large quantities of stinging
pepper, and are collecting firearms, swords,  machetes,  spears,  axes  and
piles  of  brickbats  for  possible  confrontations.  Two resistance groups
(Rohingya Solidarity Organisation and Arakan Rohingya Islamic Front  )  are
reported  to have planned an attack on Bangladeshi officials on September 1
at Shailerdoba camp, putting there in hospital with serious head injuries.

# New census: hou many are there ?
The Bangladeshi administration of the camps commenced on September 6 a  new
census  of  the  refugee  camps.  This  coincides with the arrival of UNHCR
mediator Bernard de Riedmatten, who is trying  to  break  the  deadlock  in
talks   between  the  two  governments  over  repatriation.  SLORC  refuses
international oversight.

* SAMPLE LETTERS (TO UNHCR)
Ms Sadako Ogata
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
CASE Postale 2500
CH-1211 Geneva 2 Depot
Switzerland

Wednesday 10 February 1993

Dear High Commissioner,

Re: Voluntary Repatriation of Muslim Rohingyas to Burma