CHIN NATIONAL FRONT STATEMENT ON DA

      DC H I N     N A T I O N A L     F R O N T

C H I N L A N D

	July 12, 1995

	Position Statement on the Release of
	Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
       ------------------------------------

1. We join all the democratic loving people of the Union of Burma in
welcoming  the "unconditional" release of the leader of the winning party,
the National League for Democracy in 1990 election and the 1991 Nobel Peace
laureate Daw Aung San Suu Kyi by the SLORC military junta. The year long
efforts by democratic governments and domestic and international democratic
minded individuals and organizations force the SLORC, which enforces
unwritten laws and restores unnamed order, to halt its habitual lies and
deceit and to submit in obeying its own law for one time.  It is a positive
and excellent sign.

2.  The "unconditional" release is, however, conditional as there is no
word of change in the policy of the ruling SLORC. Oppression and repression
are still the order of the day in the Union of Burma. We continue our trust
to mistrust the power holders in Rangoon. Armed opposition, non-violent
confrontation, trade sanction,  arms embargo, and international pressure
are the only option open for democrats to act upon the SLORC more than
ever. The prospect for peace and the chance for serious dialogue and
compromise in Burma depend on continued efforts of the democratic loving
people of the world.

3. We join the overwhelming majority of the people of the Union of Burma in
committing our confidence to the person, policy, and foresight of Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi. We trust that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will work with all decent
citizens of the Union of Burma in acquiring peace and unity in the nation.
 We look forward to working together with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
people of Burma for genuine democracy, equality, rule of law, fundamental
human rights, and economic developments.

	The Central Committee
	Chin National Front
				Supreme Headquarters

For enquiries, please contact: