SLORC Whitewashing Team Tours Germa

Subject: SLORC Whitewashing Team Tours Germany

Dear friends,
The Slorc embassy in Bonn unusually invited some active members of the
democratic forces to a meeting in Bonn on 14th.Oct. in order to discuss
some changes and developments in Burma with the members of the Slorc white-
washing team, composing of U Ba Thwin (Foreign Ministry), Dr. Htun Shein
(Investment adviser), U Set Maung (Economist) and U Tin Tun ( ex-ambassador
and adviser to FM). The discussion was led by U Win Aung, the present Slorc
ambassador in Bonn.
The very first question raised by our democratic forces was precise and
clear: Why Slorc failed to honour the will of the Burmese people, clearly
shown in the 1990 general elections? This 2-minute question was tried to
answer by Set Maung, Tin Tun and Win Aung, taking more than 20 minutes, by
just beating about the bush. The same question was again put up in more
clear form: The Burmese people said loud and clear that they do not
accept the military dictatorial system by giving their votes of over 80%
to the Aung San Suu Kyi's N L D party. Why Slorc is pretending not to under-
stand the people's will? U Win Aung's answer was as usual: The Slorc leaders
are now in the process of democratisation and the national convention is
still going on with more than 80 elected representives (out of about 700
delegates) in order to fulfil the needs of the people.
We, the democratic forces, declared that we totally rejected the national
convention held by the Slorc with the reasons # the Slorc has no mandate
and hence no legitimacy to convene a national convention to draw a consti-
tution,# the guide-lines laid down in the national convention by the Slorc
steering committee are entirely not in agreement with the international basic
democratic principles and # even the United Nations do not recognize such
process of national convention.
The Slorc whitewashers are, however, seemed to be well prepared concerning
investments and open economy, although the laws and regulations, which
they used to quote with paragraphs and sections, are completely different
in their applicability as well as practicability in Burma.( Be sure that
you are dealing with substantial, political questions than wasting much
of the time with their investment lectures).
Fianlly, they do admit that they are merely Slorc's servants having no
authority to decide, but what they could only do is to relay our opinions
to their 'higher authorities'. We told them that such kind of open
discussions with freedom from fear should be done more frequently inside
Burma with the people than wasting foreign currencies abroad.
The whole meeting, from the beginning to the last word, was well documented
by video, recording cassettes and photoes.

Nwe Aung / Burma Bureau (Germany)
           Fax: +49 2173 83364