Investments In Burma

Dear All:

The following table of ranking investors in Burma is from Oct. 12, 1995
issue of Far Eastern Economic Review. If you have any correction or
comment on this numbers, please share with us. It seems to me that FEER
omitted the annual offers from ongoing Pipline project from Unocal,
Texaco and Total (Fr). I refers to 2/10/95 issue of The Wall Street
Journal.

Investor            Year Commulative           $ Million
		    through Aug. 31

1. Britain     ------------------------------- 642

2. Singapore   ---------------------------     548

3. France      -----------------------         465

4. Thailand    ---------------------           418

5. U.S         ------------                    241

6. Malaysia    ----------                      227

7. Japan       -----                           107

8. Netherlands ----                             83

9. Austria     ---                              72

10.Hongkong    --                               64

11.S. Korea    --                               61

12.Australia   -                                30

13.Canada      -                                25

14.Philippines .                                 7

15.Bangladesh  .                                 3

My comment on this is that it is surprising to see the U.S
position as the fifth in share of "foreign direct investment"
in Burma.  I am believing U.S is one among the top. I would
be happy if anyone could explain more about it. Would
you mind to explain what "foreign direct investment"
mean? Does it convey the numbers above are directly
invested in SLORC (government)? Or do those numbers exclude
the investments in private sectors?

Thanks.

Tun Myint.