Enquiry - Floods in Burma

COASTAL FLOODING IN BURMA - NEED INFORMATION / CONTACTS

Dear Burmanet,

I am a researcher at the Disaster Prevention Research institute, Kyoto
University. My research interest is coastal flooding along the coast of the
Bay of Bengal due to abnormal sea-level rise during cyclones (i.e. storm
surges).  I would like to find sources of information about storm surges
and flooding in Burma.  I would be very grateful if anybody can offer
information or suggest who I might contact for regarding the following:

1.  Whether there was any serious flooding or disaster caused by the
severe cyclone that struck the northern coast of Burma on 2 May last
year (1994).

2.  Obtaining data from tide gauges in Burma.

3.  Whether there are any scientists in Burmese universities or
laboratories who are studying this problem.

Any information that you can provide would be very helpful to me in my
studies, and eventually may perhaps contribute to reducing the effect of
such disasters.

If you can suggest how else I might make use of internet to help
with my enquiries, please let me know your suggestions.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Watson

Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto
University, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611, Japan

e-mail :    gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel / Fax : 0-774-32-6040   (Japan +81)
                          - Phone rings after message and fax noises.
                          - If sending a fax, please start immediately.
Home :      0-774-31-7014   (Japan +81)