Burma's Karen rebels call for unity (r)

Subject: Re: Burma's Karen rebels call for unity

On 5 Nov 1995 FreeBurma@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Burma's Karen rebels call for unity
>
>       MAE SOT, Thailand, Nov 4 (Reuter) - Burma's Karen rebels, who have been
> battling the central government for autonomy for generations, called for
> unity among the Karen people while they negotiate with Rangoon to end their
> war
>
>     The Karen National Union (KNU), said in a statement obtained by Reuters
> on Saturday the opportunity for peace could be wasted if unity were lost.
>
>     ``This is the most important time for the KNU as we negotiate with the
> SLORC,'' the statement said.
>
>     The guerrillas have met representatives of the ruling State Law and Order
> Restoration Council (SLORC) several times this year, and another round of
> talks is due this month in the southeastern Burmese town of Pa-an, guerrilla
> sources said.
>
>     ``We must be careful as we present our opinions to the SLORC and we
> appeal to all Karen people to remain united and not be misled. If we are not
> united we will surely lose this opportunity,'' the statement said.
>
>     The statement, published on Friday, was distributed among the 70,000
> Karen refugees living in camps along the Thai side of the Thai-Burmese
> frontier as well as inside Burma, a guerrilla source said.
>
>     A serious split developed in the KNU late last year when several hundred
> Buddhist fighters mutinied against their mostly-Christian leaders and joined
> forces with the governement army.
>
>     The mutineers then assisted government forces in a successful assult on
> the KNU's headquarters at Manerplaw in southeastern Burma on the border with
> Thailand.
>
>     The KNU, which has been fighting for autonomy since 1949, is one of the
> last guerrilla armies in Burma still fighting the government.
>
> Reut02:33 11-04-95

Is this accurate?  Is KNU actually giving in to SLORC?  It is very hard
to believe that the Buddhists left simply because they were under
Christian leadership.  They would rather join Slorc which only claims to
be Buddhist but kills monks!  Maybe, I am just naive, but I think that
there is more to this story.  I am very interested in finding out more
about this current situation.  If KNU gives in, than will there be no
more physical opposition to the Military regime.  They will just be able
to march through and destroy whoever and whatever they want.  Well, I
will be awaiting the many insightful letters to my questions.
					NO FEAR,
					David Horne