US Congess targets legal immigrants

Please excuse me for posting a message that is not "on topic."  I assume
there are many emigres who will be vitally interested in this.  --Anthony

CONGRESS TARGETS LEGAL IMMIGRANTS

The Washington Post reported on November 9 that certain members of
the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on immigration have proposed, as
part of a welfare reform bill, that legal immigrants (both
permanent residents and naturalized U.S. citizens) be prohibited
from receiving various forms of federal assistance - such as Pell
grants and Social Security - that are available to native-born U.S.
citizens.  According to the Washington Post, "it appears likely
that Congress will approve some measures under which millions of
legal immigrants, perhaps even citizens, will lose their right to
receive a wide array of public benefits, from food stamps and cash
to job training, non-emergency health care, and financial aid for
college."  A chief proponent of these restrictions is Sen. Alan K.
Simpson (R-Wyo.), chairman of the Judiciary subcommittee on
immigration.

Many of these restrictions are an egregious violation of the Fifth
Amendment's Due Process clause, which guarantees equal protection under
the laws, and are, needless to say, deeply offensive.  Especially shocking
are the remarks of Richard Day, chief counsel for the Senate immigration
subcommittee. In justifying these restrictions, Mr. Day reportedly told
the Post, "If [a] South Korean family with three kids had said to U.S.
officials [before applying for visas], 'We're going to need to have Pell
grants to get the kids through school,' how many Americans would think,
'There isn't enough around so native-born kids can go to college, we
shouldn't be admitting people who are going to need that.' "  It amazes me
that Mr. Day could suggest that we should discriminate against permanent
residents and naturalized citizens because, in his opinion, the U.S.
public thinks of these citizens as somehow "less American" than
native-born citizens.  Mr. Day's remarks also suggest that he agrees with
the bigoted views he attributes to Americans in general.

(1) Urge your senators to vote against any version of a welfare reform
bill that contains these kind of outrageous anti-immigrant provisions.
See the list below for email addresses of senators. Be sure to include a
return mailing address (snail mail) so your senators can respond - they
don't respond by email.  (If your senators do not have email addresses,
you can call the Capital Switchboard.  When you are connected to your
senator's office, state that you are a constituent and ask to speak with a
staff member about your concerns.  The number is 202-224-3121).

(2) Contact the ranking minority member on the Senate Judiciary
Committee, Sen. Joe Biden (DE) and urge that Richard Day, chief
counsel for the Senate immigration subcommittee, be fired for his
deeply disturbing remarks which advocate the second-class status of
legal immigrants unless he issues a public apology.  (Senator
Biden's email address is: joe_biden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Note:  Send me an email message if you would like an electronic
copy of the Washington Post article.
                           Sincerely,
                           Anthony Murawski
                           (An irate, naturalized citizen in Virginia)

United States Senate Email Addresses

AK-R   Stevens, Ted          Senator_Stevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AR-D   Bumpers, Dale         senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AZ-R   Kyl, Jon              info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
AZ-R   McCain, John          Senator_McCain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CA-D   Boxer, Barbara        senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CA-D   Feinstein, Dianne     senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CO-R   Brown, Hank           senator_brown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CT-D   Dodd, Christophe      sen_dodd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CT-D   Lieberman, Joseph     senator_lieberman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DE-D   Biden, Joe            joe_biden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FL-D   Graham, Bob           bob_graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FL-R   Mack, Connie          senator_mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
GA-R   Coverdell, Paul       senator_coverdell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IA-D   Harkin, Tom           tom_harkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IA-R   Grassley, Charles     chuck_grassley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ID-R   Craig, Larry          larry_craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ID-R   Kempthorne, Dirk      dirk_kempthorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IL-D   Simon, Paul           senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IL-D   Moseley-Braun,Carol   senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IN-R   Lugar, Richard        lugar@xxxxxxxxxx
KY-D   Ford, Wendell         wendell_ford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
KY-R   McConnell, Mitch      senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
LA-D   Breaux, John          senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
LA-D   Johnston, J.Bennett   senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MA-D   Kennedy, Ted          senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MA-D   Kerry, John           john_kerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MD-D   Mikulski, Barbara     senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MD-D   Sarbanes, Paul        senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ME-R   Cohen, William        billcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MI-D   Levin, Car            senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MI-R   Abraham, Spencer      michigan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MN-R   Grams, Rod            mail_grams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MN-D   Wellstone, Paul       senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MO-R   Ashcroft, John        john_ashcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MS-R   Cochran, Thad         senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MT-D   Baucus, Max           max@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MT-R   Burns, Conrad         conrad_burns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NC-R   Faircloth, Lauch      senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ND-D   Dorgan, Byron         senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NE-D   Kerrey, Bob           bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NH-R   Gregg, Judd           mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NH-R   Smith, Bob            opinion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NJ-D   Bradley, Bill         senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NM-D   Bingaman, Jeff        Senator_Bingaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NM-R   Domenici, Pete        senator_domenici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NV-D   Reid, Harry           senator_reid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NY-D   Moynihan, Daniel P.   senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OH-R   Dewine, Michael       senator_dewine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK-R   Nickles, Don          nickles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PA-R   Santorum, Rick        senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PA-R   Specter, Arlen        senator_specter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
RI-R   Chafee, John          senator_chafee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SC-D   Hollings, Ernest      senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SD-D   Daschle, Thomas       tom_daschle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SD-R   Pressler, Larry       larry_pressler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TN-R   Thompson, Fred        senator_thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TN-R   Frist, Bill           senator_frist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TX-R   Gramm, Phil           info@xxxxxxxxxxx
TX-R   Hutchison, Kay        senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VA-D   Robb, Charles         senator_robb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                             vascr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
VA-R   Warner, John          senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VT-D   Leahy, Patrick        senator_leahy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VT-R   Jeffords, Jim         vermont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WA-D   Murray, Patty         senator_murray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WA-R   Gorton, Slade         Senator_Gorton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WI-D   Feingold, Russell     russell_feingold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WI-D   Kohl, Herbert         senator_kohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WV-D   Rockefeller, Jay      senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WY-R   Simpson, Alan         senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anthony Murawski                          Internet:
Essential Information                     anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                          amurawski@xxxxxxxxxxx