NCGUB Praises NLD for Firm Decisio

Subject:       NCGUB Praises NLD for  Firm Decision

       NATIONAL COALITION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNION OF BURMA
    815 Fifteenth Street, NW, Suite 910, Washington, DC 20005
    Tel:(202) 393-7342   (202) 393-4312,  Fax: (202) 393-7343

                 Statement Supporting the
       Decision by the National League for Democracy
         To Walk Out from the 'National Convention'

                       November 28, 1995
                  ----------------------------

The National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma fully supports
the resolute decision by the National League for Democracy to walk out
from the "national convention" as it is being staged by the State Law
and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) to legitimize military rule.   We
are truly proud of the NLD leaders who have never showed any hesitation
in making correct decisions even if they meant risking their own
personal well-being.

As a party overwhelmingly elected by the people to carry out their will,
the National League for Democracy is duty bound to do what is most
beneficial to the people.  In light of the intransigent attitude by the
SLORC convention authorities and the SLORC itself, the NLD has no option
left but to leave what Daw Aung San Suu Kyi has described as "a national
convention which is not heading for what the people want, which is not
in any way desirous of bringing about national reconciliation, multi-
party democracy or a constitution that will be acceptable to all the
people of our country."

The NLD has done its best to create conditions conducive to a dialogue
but the SLORC has refused to show any flexibility.   We firmly believe
that once the SLORC gives up its ambition of establishing a military
dictatorship and start realizing that it is in the interest of everyone
to work together, the problems that Burma face today will fade away.

It has therefore become our duty as well as the duty of the
international community which wishes to see justice done in Burma to
dissuade the SLORC from trying to consolidate a military leadership and
at the same time to give all-out support to the democratization efforts
undertaken by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the National League for
Democracy.

The international community must also avoid giving legitimacy to the
SLORC's national convention or to its outcome and must refrain from
investing in Burma or giving financial assistance to the SLORC.

Let us all show our firm solidarity with the Burmese struggle for
democracy by keeping up the pressure on SLORC until the time it sees the
futility of its selfish exercise and decides to enter into a serious and
meaningful dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

The Burmese people will prevail and democracy will come to Burma.

                  ****