Response to MGG Pillai (r)

> Date sent:      28 Jan 1996 03:23:19
> Send reply to:  Conference "reg.burma" <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> From:           carol@xxxxxxx
> Subject:        Response to MGG Pillai
> To:             Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> From: carol@xxxxxxx (Carol Schlenker)
>
> Sir/Madam:
>
> An entire nation votes a military dictatorship out of office.  That same
> dictatorship, after harassing, exiling, jailing, torturing and even
> murdering the victors, remains in power through brute force.  Can this
> so-called government not be labelled "outlaw"?  Or would you prefer we call
> SLORC "electorally challenged"?

Did Burma vote a military dictatorship out of office?  I am not aware
of that.  It was to write a constitution.  On the same note, did not
then the FIS vote the Algerian military controlled government out of
office?  Is that an outlaw state, too?  Then why is that military
government not an outlaw and Slorc is?  I hold no brief, nor care,
for Slorc, but let us look at the issue in the cold light of reality.
 And, on a slightly different tack, was Suu Kyi a candidate in that
election?

> Moreover, what you call "pointless raving," I call free speech, a
right
> which every person should exercise, even those who use big words like
> "etymological."  But if the conversation is too robust for you, please
> remember that you do have alternatives:  i.e., burmanews-l  (a.k.a.
> "Burmanet Lite:  Half the Messages of Burmanet, and Half the Fun").

This discussion obviously is too much for you, for you do not give me
that right to my opinion.  I do not intend to leave this discussion,
unlike dawn star and others who get upset when they are challenged.

> We are not throwing stones at SLORC.  We are, to quote a much-admired
> Burmanet subscriber, putting the outlaw government "between a rock and a
> hard place."  Many of us, perhaps most of us, believe this is the most
> effective way to get the generals to talk with the democratic opposition --
> the moral equivalent of putting a gun to their thick heads.  But if you have
> better ideas, we'd love to hear them.

The way the discussion turns around often, it is not the moral
equivalent of anything, except perhaps of pissing in the wind.
Ultimately, there is a naive belief that battles to overthrow
governments can be done thousands of miles away.  They cannot be.
That has to be fought from within;  all that the others can do is to
give moral and material support.  They cannot do the fighting for
them.  Nor can they help by hurling insults at anyone who expresses a
contrary view, or threaten to cancel his internet equivalent of a
subscription, as my old friend, James Clad, of Georgetown University,
threatens to do.

MGG

--
M.G.G. Pillai