REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (8/11/94)

/* Written Fri 16 Feb 6:00am 1995 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on communications (8/11/94) "--------------- */

February 16, 1996.

AN ADDED NOTE TO OUR FRIENDS:

UN Should give ultimatum to SLORC
---------------------------------
Recent report by Mon National Relief Committee (MNRC) and the
views-surveys expressed by the Karen refugee community in
Bangkok Post 8.2.96, in regards to repatriation to Burma, have
highlighted the urgency to promote a peaceful solutions
to Burma's problems. There is an urgency to commence  the
political dialogue between the SLORC, NLD and the ethnic
nationalities. The ceasefire between SLORC and KNU must be
completed. The representatives of ethnic freedom fighters
should be given appropriate political platform and the U.N.
should be allowed to supervise in framing the constitution.

The efforts for ceasefire with Karen National Union has been continuing
from our part since the Hubbard's Mission to Burma in October 1994.
That initiative was followed by the fall of Manerplaw, which, infact,
is now become evident that the Burmese military have encouraged and
exploited the internal division within KNU. It is quite clear
that the SLORC had made every effort to avoid the ethnic rebels
demands for political settlements. The reason for pointing out
the incident is to emphasize that SLORC was already being given
enough time to consider for a ceasefire with KNU and to make
reconciliations with the ethnic freedom fighters.

It is possible that the SLORC may deliberately delay the negotiation
with KNU in order to avoid National Convention being used as forum
for dialogue. Therefore, the U.N. should give ultimatum to
SLORC in order to complete negotiation with KNU promptly. SLORC must
not be allowed to delay in commencing dialogue with
the Oppositions and completing ceasefire with KNU.

With best regards, U Ne Oo

[Recent AAP report indicate that Senator Evans was refused entry
to Burma in last December(the Foreign Affairs had not made it public,
or we probably missed out that News). Currently, the Government and
Opposition in Australia are very busy because of the Federal
election in March 2, 1996.]
LETTER FROM U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE(8/11/94)

United States Department of State
Washington, D.C. 20520

November 8, 1994.

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
Adelaide, Australia

Dear Dr. U Ne Oo:

Thank  you  for  your  letter  of October 5, which has been received in the
Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor.

We  share  your  concern  about  Burma's  refugee  problem  and   political
conflicts.  Please  be assured that this information is reviewed and valued
by those charged with responsibility for formulating and implementing  U.S.
policy. Your continuing interest in our work is appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sd. Mona Sutphen
Regional Affairs Officer
Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor.

/* Endreport */