So much for Yale liberalism

Please pass this along and take some action where you can folks...Sousan
------------------------------
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:38:37 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <telecommies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: YALE UPDATE

Here's an update on the Yale situation for those who might be interested.
The TAA (Teaching Assistant Association) is sending a representative to
Yale later this month to participate
in a big pr event and to demonstrate our union's support.  There will
likely be a forum on this situation next month addressing some of the
widespread implications of the Yale strike for grad workers all over.

Lisa

>To Friends of the Yale Unions:
>
>I am writing to ask for your financial help in supporting the current strike
>by Yale clerical workers.  If you already know about the strike, I'll cut to
>the chase and give you the details for donations: checks should be made to
>FUE Strike Fund and sent to Federation of University Employees, 425 College
>St., New Haven CT 06511.  Otherwise, here's the basic story on what's going
>on here:
>
>As you may know, Local 34, representing 2,600 secretaries, lab technicians
>and librarians, went out on strike on February 7 after three months' of
>attempting to reach an agreement with Yale negotiators.  Local 35,
>representing 1,200 custodians, dining hall workers and physical plant staff,
>is continuing to work, providing moral and financial support for Local 34,
>and reserving the right to strike later in the semester.  This strike is not
>over any increases demanded by these workers.  All the strike issues revolve
>around Yale's demands for deep cuts in wages, benefits and job security.
>
>The nastiness of Yale's response to the TA grade strike is equally evident
>now.  Early in the strike, a local bakery offered to donate its day-old break
>to union headquarters, so we could make sandwiches for strikers.  Within 24
>hours, Yale had informed the bakery that the university would cancel all
>future contracts with it, and got the bakery to back off, agreeing to throw
>out its old bread rather than give it to striking secretaries.  Similarly,
>Yale has sought to keep striking workers feeling the cold.  It's been the
>snowiest winter on record in Connecticut, and with picket lines starting at 6
>am, it's often bitter cold for those walking the line in front of Yale
>buildings.  Last week, after volunteers brought oil-drums and firewood to set
>up fire barrels at a few locations, Yale complained of smoke violations and
>called the Fire Department to extinguish all picket-line fires.  It took the
>Mayor of New Haven's intervention to establish the right of strikers to warm
>themselves by a picket-line fire.
>
>Who are Local 34 and Local 35?
>
>Local 34 -- composed of 80% women workers -- won its first contract here
>after a bitter 10-week strike in 1984.  In that campaign, clerical staff had
>to challenge all Yale's stereotypes about women workers -- that they weren't
>"real" workers, that their salaries were "pin money" or unneeded second
>incomes, and that "the girls" didn't have what it takes to fight for a union.
> In the past decade, Yale has never hid its desire to turn the clock back to
>a time when women workers had no collective power and had to rely on
>individual appeals to the good will of supervisors.
>
>Local 35 is the largest union of African-American workers in New Haven, and
>Yale's harshest proposals are reserved for the dining hall and custodial
>staff which draw most heavily from the city's poorest neighborhoods.  In
> [...]

When spiders unite they can tie down a lion.

The Free Burma Coalition
tel: 608-256-6572
fax: 608-263-9992